Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Skepticism and cryptozoology

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

Yeah, I do have a debree, I also shouldn't post without my glasses on. :blush:

Nice to meet you as well.

Edited by keninsc, 15 November 2012 - 12:53 AM.

#17    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,725 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:00 AM

I have some debris from a mechanical engine. Is that good enough?

:lol:

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#18    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:05 AM

Ooooohhhhh! Let he who is without a ****up cast the first stone!

:w00t:

#19    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,777 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:13 AM

View PostCataclysmic faith, on 14 November 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

hello everyone....

i have a statement and i would like to hear your thoughts about it:

i think that Cryptozoology/cryptids are fake, why? let me tell you, why didn't we ever find some proof about a real cryptid?

Oh boy...now you went and did it.

Be prepared to get the standard crypto website list of watered down generic cryptid poster children, and the watered down cryptid definition that unclearly states "these animals were rumored to exist". Which if you think about it pretty much includes every animal on this earth at one time or another.

#20    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:17 AM

Yes, and what's your point?

#21    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,777 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 14 November 2012 - 10:58 PM, said:

Do we need another thread about what exactly constitutes a cryptid? :P

We can never have to many those. :tu:

#22    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,777 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:22 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 15 November 2012 - 01:17 AM, said:

What? are you talking to me?

I cant tell because you didn't quote anyone.

#23    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:28 AM

No, I'm talking to the Grey Alien in the corner.

.....oh wait, this is the wrong forum for talking about aliens.

Edited by keninsc, 15 November 2012 - 01:30 AM.

#24    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,725 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:28 AM

View Postevancj, on 15 November 2012 - 01:22 AM, said:

What? are you talking to me?

I cant tell because you didn't quote anyone.

Made me laugh, that did. :w00t:

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#25    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,777 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:45 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 15 November 2012 - 01:17 AM, said:

Oh I think I have made my point perfectly clear...several times...OK...maybe more than several times. Too bad cryptozoology cant do the same thing.

#26    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,830 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:13 AM

The Hoan Kiem Turtle is considered a "found" cryptid. Quite a fantastic tale goes with it too. But this one find does I believe show the value that Cryptozoology can offer. We now know that only 4 of this kind of Turtle exist in the world, and whilst it may be too late, we can have a crack at saving a species.

I think Cryptozoology has it's place. It is fun and exciting, but some people start trying to make money by inventing mythical creatures, or chasing folklore. When the credulous attain credence, we have a problem. These should be marketed for what they are. Adventure tours, not anything at all to do with science. No Bigfoot will be found, but a lot of people will have some fun in the wilderness.

I am not sure of the Pygmy Elephant has yet been officially classified. Last I heard it was still a bonafide cryptid as well.

Bigfoot, Nessie, Werewolves, Vampires are the cartoons of Cryptozoology. But there is an academic level as well. It's just pretty minuscule in the big picture.

Edited by psyche101, 15 November 2012 - 06:13 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#27    pukin Rainbows24-7

pukin Rainbows24-7

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 146 posts

• questions, questions everywhere

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 15 November 2012 - 06:13 AM, said:

The Hoan Kiem Turtle is considered a "found" cryptid. Quite a fantastic tale goes with it too. But this one find does I believe show the value that Cryptozoology can offer. We now know that only 4 of this kind of Turtle exist in the world, and whilst it may be too late, we can have a crack at saving a species.

I think Cryptozoology has it's place. It is fun and exciting, but some people start trying to make money by inventing mythical creatures, or chasing folklore. When the credulous attain credence, we have a problem. These should be marketed for what they are. Adventure tours, not anything at all to do with science. No Bigfoot will be found, but a lot of people will have some fun in the wilderness.

I am not sure of the Pygmy Elephant has yet been officially classified. Last I heard it was still a bonafide cryptid as well.

Bigfoot, Nessie, Werewolves, Vampires are the cartoons of Cryptozoology. But there is an academic level as well. It's just pretty minuscule in the big picture.
yes i think you have a point there, that also changes the view of people that they just are mumbo jumbo

Posted Image

#28    pukin Rainbows24-7

pukin Rainbows24-7

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 146 posts

• questions, questions everywhere

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

well i guess that this topic solved my problem then

Posted Image

#29    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,167 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

You're saying two completely different things, first you're saying they are fake next you're saying they are real but God sent them away.

#30    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,830 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:48 AM

View PostCataclysmic faith, on 15 November 2012 - 05:22 PM, said:

yes i think you have a point there, that also changes the view of people that they just are mumbo jumbo

I can certainly understand that impression, it is the most prevalent aspect of cryptozoology, but it's not all bad :D Some gems shine out in that field or rocks.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users