Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Give horsemeat-tainted food to poor -

Still Waters

Germany's development minister has suggested food tainted with horsemeat should be distributed to the poor.

Dirk Niebel said he supported the proposal by a member of the governing CDU party, and concluded: "We can't just throw away good food."

The opposition dismissed the idea, but a priest said it should be considered.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-21559451

• Like 1

very good idea.

Not everyone is so against eating horse meat, so I see no reason why someone who is starving should complain, doubt they would. The only people who will complain about this are the people who would not eat it themselves, forgetting that they have other foods to eat, unlike the starving.

• Like 3

Well, there's no actual harm to helth from it, and Horsemeat seems in fact quite healthy, so why not, rather than waste it.

It is a major meat in only a few countries, notably in Central Asia, but it forms a significant part of the culinary traditions of many others, from Europe to South America to Asia. The top eight countries consume about 4.7 million horses a year. For the majority of mankind's early existence, wild horses were hunted as a source of protein.[1][2] It is slightly sweet, tender and low in fat.[3]

From Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia.

• Like 3

I have been saying something similar to this since the scandal started.

Leave it on the supermarket shelf, label it 'May contain horse-meat', sell it at cost, then anybody not afraid of horse-meat can fill their freezer with it. (including me!)

• Like 3

As long as people know it contains horse meat. I wouldn't touch it, I consider a horse a pet just like a dog, not food.

• Like 3

So, lets give tainted food to the poor?

Hey, lets give them our tainted left overs, our old useless bed mattresses, etc.

People broke a law, how about fine them, and use the fines to fight poverty. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

• Like 2

Hey, lets give them our tainted left overs, our old useless bed mattresses, etc.

People broke a law, how about fine them, and use the fines to fight poverty. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

It's not tainted. It just has horse meat in it, which is perfectly fine to eat. They're not talking about giving bad food to the poor. They're talking about not wasting good food, because uneducated idiots hear the words horse meat and think its bad. We're talking 6 tonnes (13,227.7 pounds) of food that idiots just want to throw away.

• Like 2

It's not tainted. It just has horse meat in it, which is perfectly fine to eat. They're not talking about giving bad food to the poor. They're talking about not wasting good food, because uneducated idiots hear the words horse meat and think its bad. We're talking 6 tonnes (13,227.7 pounds) of food that idiots just want to throw away.

I understand it is horse meat. Personally, I think it should be illegal. ( Grew up in Nevada, look up the Wild Horse adoption fiasco ).....So, I do not think it is perfectly fine to eat.

I will have to say, if it is not illegal there to kill and butcher horses for human consumption, then I can not really argue.

They are all ready killed, so yes, at least let their death help something. I just have a hard time with the horse meat being eaten, and the " not good for normal folk, so lets give it to poor people "....

How about dog food for humane societies, or dog rescues?

Food for animals at Zoos?

I could go for that.

Edit : It was tainted meat, by definition. So, " uneducated people " were correct......Just some do not know the definition of " tainted ".

Edited by Sakari

They are all ready killed, so yes, at least let their death help something. I just have a hard time with the horse meat being eaten, and the " not good for normal folk, so lets give it to poor people "....

I could go for that.

Edit : It was tainted meat, by definition. So, " uneducated people " were correct......Just some do not know the definition of " tainted ".

The only people saying it's "not good for normal folk" are the people who don't understand that it's ok to eat horse.

I agree that giving it to humane societies or zoos would be a good idea, but there is no real reason why it shouldn't go to people who need it.

I understand the word tainted just fine. The use of the word tainted here is nothing more then hyperbole use to make people think that horse is not fit for human consumption.

The only people saying it's "not good for normal folk" are the people who don't understand that it's ok to eat horse.

I agree that giving it to humane societies or zoos would be a good idea, but there is no real reason why it shouldn't go to people who need it.

I understand the word tainted just fine. The use of the word tainted here is nothing more then hyperbole use to make people think that horse is not fit for human consumption.

Depends what you mean by " it's ok to eat horse "......Ethically, to many, no it is not.

The meat was being sold as Beef, and the buyers were on the understanding it was beef.

It had a hidden meat in it, horse meat.

It was tainted.

"Germany's development minister has suggested food tainted with horsemeat should be distributed to the poor."

Should the poor people eat the horse meat that may contain horse medication that could make them suffer ill health ?

Nobody know's where the horse meat originated from or what that horsemeat contain's...

IF it was just horse meat that could be traced and they know what is in it, and could guarantee that there is no contamination of any kind... then I cant see a problem with giving the poor an option, to eat it or not, as long as they told them it was horse meat and not dress it up as beef...

Me personally I could not eat horse meat....

• Like 1

I like the idea of eating horse more than cow. They look tastier. I'm not sure of the taste though since I haven't tried it.

Do any of the previous posters know where the horse-meat came from, exactly, and what chemicals that the horses were fed during their lives?

Why would Horses have been fed with chemicals? If they'd been bred specifically for food like beef cattle, then they might have been, but what any the previous posters have been talking about is the principle of eating Horse meat.

I understand it is horse meat. Personally, I think it should be illegal. ( Grew up in Nevada, look up the Wild Horse adoption fiasco ).....So, I do not think it is perfectly fine to eat.

I will have to say, if it is not illegal there to kill and butcher horses for human consumption, then I can not really argue.

I could go for that.

I take it you are not poor and starving, so as i pointed out earlier, its the people who are NOT poor and starving who are going to say do not give them the meat, because of your moral beliefs.

I know you say yes give it too them if it is not illegal there...it is not illegal in many countries.

But my main point is, I so hope people do not try and stop this because of their moral beliefs...let the starving people have their say!!!

• Like 2

Why would Horses have been fed with chemicals? If they'd been bred specifically for food like beef cattle, then they might have been, but what any the previous posters have been talking about is the principle of eating Horse meat.

Horses, I am to believe, are often during the course of their lives given chemicals that are dangerous for human consumption. In fairness, I probably should not have used the term 'fed', as they may be injected.

And the previous posters were commenting on the topic of the thread. The topic is about not wasting the horse-meat tainted foods, by giving it, instead, to the poor - something that could in fact be potentially very dangerous. It is not about eating horse-meat in general. Most people agreed that giving the tainted food to the poor would be a good idea, which is what my post was addressing.

If you want to realistically look at feeding the poor, you should go to any supermarket, food-producing factory. Each factory throws out literally tons of perfectly edible food every single day. It's disgusting (and something I've seen first-hand).

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 4

If you want to realistically look at feeding the poor, you should go to any supermarket, food-producing factory. Each factory throws out literally tons of perfectly edible food every single day. It's disgusting (and something I've seen first-hand).

=============

I have seen it too.

But the health and safety brigade will say that it is out of date so has to be thrown, forgetting that some of the starving are eating mud!!

• Like 2

Germany's development minister has suggested food tainted with horsemeat should be distributed to the poor

It sounds a good idea.

• Like 1

As long as people know it contains horse meat. I wouldn't touch it, I consider a horse a pet just like a dog, not food.

There's a guy I know who has sheep as pets. I still like a bit of lamb, though.

Actually horses are rarely slaughtered to eat in most parts of Europe, most countries import it from South America. A small portion comes from fallen racehorses.

Since the crisis there have been more horses slaughtered for consumption in Europe, since more and more ppl do not have the money to care for them.

It is interesting to see some think it should be illegal...puts the spotlight on how hypocrite it all is really. The cliché of india and their sacred cows come to mind.

Anyway, it would be good for the poor. Horse meat is far more healthy than beef. It's lean meat with a higher level or iron.

Don't see why ppl are making such big deal of it in the way that they make it out to be "bad food".

The headlines should've just said "poor are being given wrongly labeled food". Because that is the only problem here, the fact that the labels were faulty. In all cases the content should be correctly labeled. Doesnt make the food bad, just the label.

Edited by Render

Horses, I am to believe, are often during the course of their lives given chemicals that are dangerous for human consumption. In fairness, I probably should not have used the term 'fed', as they may be injected.

And the previous posters were commenting on the topic of the thread. The topic is about not wasting the horse-meat tainted foods, by giving it, instead, to the poor - something that could in fact be potentially very dangerous. It is not about eating horse-meat in general.

What, then, is the topic about, as you seem so sure?

And the previous posters were commenting on the topic of the thread. The topic is about not wasting the horse-meat tainted foods, by giving it, instead, to the poor - something that could in fact be potentially very dangerous. It is not about eating horse-meat in general.

I've answered that question in the second sentence of the post that you quoted: 'The topic is about not wasting the horse-meat tainted foods, by giving it, instead, to the poor'.

Perhaps you read the 'about' and 'not' the wrong way around?

Hey if people are genuinely poor and struggling to get any food I am sure horse meat will be lovely for them. I wholeheartedly agree with your second statement, people have broken the law and ignored regulations and that needs a thorough investigation and those responsible need to face the punishment.

I did hear something about some kind of painkiller or something that may have been used on horses which *could* have got in to the food that is harmful to humans but I don't know how true that is. If the only contamination to the food is actual horse meat then it's perfectly edible.

If the source of the Horse meat is good and fit for Human Consumption,then there is no issue.I personally have no problem with eating Horse meat,having eaten meats such as Deer,Ostrich,wilderbeest,kangaroo,Moose.As the population of the World increases we may have to eat foods that we wouldn't normally touch.In our own prehistory we would have eaten what ever we could have got our hands on so why Quibble now.