Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

World religions acceptance of the New Age

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#16    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,070 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

View PostI believe you, on 14 February 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

BTW I grew up Christian and never heard anything negative about astral during that time which is why I began practicing and achieved the experience (whether I truly left my body is irrelevant since the experience is more important regardless of if it was self-manufactured).

So there must be a number of Christians who have also tried this and other techniques.
There are. I have personally helped with their endevours. I have even created a side technique for Christians using their bibles. I usually teach it to teenagers who's families are fundamentalists, but who are suffering from altered state problems. It's designed to help them gain control of their experiences while maintaining their faith. It works exceedingly well.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#17    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,004 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Before playing around with stuff like this one should I suppose make sure one is well-grounded in understanding how illusions can fool us and even become delusions.  At the same time, it is best not to question our experiences too much, lest we close ourselves.  Instead, see what good can come from them.

I have no truck with stuff like demon possession, so there is no danger of that sort of thing.  We all have our protection, even assuming such things exist.  Still, we can fool ourselves.  A good dollop of humility helps us here, and not expecting too much.

I tend to use meditation and prayer to help me deal with internal problems, not to strive for enlightenment.  When I feel stress or guilt or anger or fear or envy or pain or grief or shame or pride or any of a whole horde of such things, mindful, introspective meditation that includes looking at yourself from outside yourself is a powerful technique -- and if you can actually get your mind outside your physical body -- it works even better.  (There is no reason other than habit that we always imagine our mind as inside ourselves).

I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about when you refer to "astral travel").

#18    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,070 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 14 February 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

Before playing around with stuff like this one should I suppose make sure one is well-grounded in understanding how illusions can fool us and even become delusions.  At the same time, it is best not to question our experiences too much, lest we close ourselves.  Instead, see what good can come from them.

I have no truck with stuff like demon possession, so there is no danger of that sort of thing.  We all have our protection, even assuming such things exist.  Still, we can fool ourselves.  A good dollop of humility helps us here, and not expecting too much.

I tend to use meditation and prayer to help me deal with internal problems, not to strive for enlightenment.  When I feel stress or guilt or anger or fear or envy or pain or grief or shame or pride or any of a whole horde of such things, mindful, introspective meditation that includes looking at yourself from outside yourself is a powerful technique -- and if you can actually get your mind outside your physical body -- it works even better.  (There is no reason other than habit that we always imagine our mind as inside ourselves).

I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about when you refer to "astral travel").
It is true. One needs to carefully examine themselves and a solid self reflective nature. It's to easy for our paranoid anima to grip us.

The journey is not an imagined experience.. Nor us it simply a meditative state. I do know people that use daydreaming meditations and call it astral travel, ap is no daydream, these people are fooling themselves. Pseudo shaman often take people on guided meditations and call it the shamanic journey. Though possibly helpful, the actual journey is completely another animal akin to an NDE.

My tutorial is here on the second post.
http://www.unexplain...pic=219629&st=0

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#19    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

• (Christian) Gnosticism also has the Holy Spirit, Christ(os), Jesus, LOVE...and God.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

View PostI believe you, on 14 February 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

Even if the religion does not officially allow it how many adherents stil practice the New Age techniques such as astral travel, meditation, mindfulness meditation, and visualization?
Hi I believe you,

There are Christians who meditate, sit in silence, do the rosary (mindful meditation?), look at a statue or picture of Jesus or saint while praying or simply looking (like an eyes-opened meditation). Astral travel? Saints and Christian mystics have gone through a state of spiritual ecstasy. After all, we have the Pentecost. Plus, the Holy Spirit is still around.

About mediums? I believe that in the Christian context, an answer, for example, sometimes comes in a dream, vision, the Bible, and Holy Spirit's guidance. Prayer, in actuality, is the medium. It's not like Tibetan Buddhism and Voodoo, or Shaman-based belief system. The closest things are turning wine into blood, and the host as the body of Christ.

Peace.

Edited by braveone2u, 14 February 2013 - 11:01 PM.

https://www.youtube....ix3pVUX86yBWWzS  (playlist)

Distinguish between spin doctoring and truth. Keep in mind that truth is ALMOST impossible to figure out when it comes to ancient holy book.

#20    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,523 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

View PostI believe you, on 14 February 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

Well I would have preferred that you tailored your response to be inline with that of an average Baptist instead of introducing the devil in this thread.

I dont think this if fair for you to say, he not only answered your question but gave a reason for a traditional Baptist response to the New Age.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#21    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,523 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

This hits close to home for me because someone could probably call me a new age christian, not that its a bad title.. I have heard Christians say that the communication we receive is from the devil and truthfully I can see why they think that. Ive known some converted from christianity to some demonic version of new age, still claiming to know God but accept the 'dark' side of god, hooking up with a dark entity and becoming "evil" for a lack of a better word. But for me my emergence past traditional Christianity has been an opportunity to grow closer to god and test the fundementialities of the faith. All of the things I learned from the bible still remain fast and true, but some concepts that are tried to be forced on me I can easily reject with no remorse or guilt. Christianity can render a person in a constant state of guilt because I believe there is a new step or stage to be attained beyond what is offered in a traditional church. We must know God for ourselves, and i think that experience is robbed of us in a major degree when we submit more to a book or "man of god" than we do to God himself. I am utterly thankful for my foundation in christianity. If i didnt have that, i dont think this "new age" would be as successful (for me). There are many unfortunates about the new age but in the end it should pan out for the better. One i believe there will be a Christian persecution, and i think there are going to be a lot of angry and lost souls who dont know god. After time it will merge to a better balance but that wont be in this lifetime. These are some of my thoughts on the matter.

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#22    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,691 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:57 AM

View PostI believe you, on 14 February 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

So a detail in the Jodi Arias trial is her telling her ex goodnight over the phone and that they should astral at the same time so they could maybe meet each other in the astral plane.

Now her ex was a Mormon and she was a recent convert.

My questions are which world religions share or allow New Age beliefs?

Even if the religion does not officially allow it how many adherents stil practice the New Age techniques such as astral travel, meditation, mindfulness meditation, and visualization?

The New Age is not of course new.  Many human experiences are accepted by the New Age, but christians also have paranormal experiences.  I would think you would have to experience this in order to accept it.  True, many Christians think all paranormal experience are Satanic, perhaps some are, dicernment is needed in any case, just like anything else in life.

peace
mark

#23    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,523 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

View Postmarkdohle, on 15 February 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

The New Age is not of course new.  Many human experiences are accepted by the New Age, but christians also have paranormal experiences.  I would think you would have to experience this in order to accept it.  True, many Christians think all paranormal experience are Satanic, perhaps some are, dicernment is needed in any case, just like anything else in life.

peace
mark

Oh is new age specific to paranormal experience .. yeah I guess any spiritual thing would be.. what a wierd and not very smart world we live in.

#24    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,004 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

It's only paranormal to you if you perceive it to be outside reality; I think anything that exists is part of reality and therefore there is no true paranormal.  We therefore use the word for a shorthand to people who don't know this for things that are outside their particular normality.

#25    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,633 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

New Age is really a mis-mash of Eastern and aboriginal religions.  When you say world religions is that just the Abrahamic faiths or does it include Eastern and aboriginal faiths?

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#26    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,004 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

I really don't care for the word "mish-mash" in describing a set of beliefs.  Christianity could be said to be such a thing of pagan and Jewish beliefs; Judaism of Canaanite and Persian beliefs; Islam of Christian and native Arab beliefs, and so it goes.

#27    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,633 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

The people I know who practice New Age and I know a lot of them, use Hindu, Buddhist, Jewish, Native American, African and other aboriginal ideas in their spirituality. It can get confusing.  I don't know what else you would call it, lets just say it is a blend of Eastern and aborginal religions, then.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#28    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,608 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 15 February 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

Oh is new age specific to paranormal experience .. yeah I guess any spiritual thing would be.. what a wierd and not very smart world we live in.

View PostFrank Merton, on 15 February 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

It's only paranormal to you if you perceive it to be outside reality; I think anything that exists is part of reality and therefore there is no true paranormal.  We therefore use the word for a shorthand to people who don't know this for things that are outside their particular normality.

I believe the New Age has many components that have nothing to do with the paranormal such as meditation, mindfulness meditation, and visualization techniques.

View PostDarkwind, on 15 February 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

New Age is really a mis-mash of Eastern and aboriginal religions.  When you say world religions is that just the Abrahamic faiths or does it include Eastern and aboriginal faiths?

Thank you for that one narrow definiton of the New Age but it could be expanded to include other major world religions such as Christianity being blended in because many who subscribe to the New Age are also Christians or borrow ideas from Christianity.

World religions would include more than Abrahamic faiths since Zoroastrianism, Hinduism, and others are neither Abrahamic or Far Eastern. I have never seen a list of the major world religions or principal faiths include aboriginal religions so I would not consider them but you can add insight regarding how they and the New Age are blending together now, not just 1. in the past or what the New Age has borrowed, but 2. how is the New Age feeding back into these systems if at all?

1. Old beliefs ---> New Age (we all know old religions have fed into the New Age).

2. New Age ----> Current beliefs (this is what I wish to explore, the New Age feeding back into contemporary belief systems).

Don't forget the New Age also includes recovery movement, self-help, other motiviational beliefs, holism, pyschology, and a host of other interesting things. There are also things like angels, UFOs, ascended masters, trance, channeling, etc...

I am most interested in which major world religions accept New Age beliefs or are starting to accept them, and which adherents of major faiths are drawn to them regardless if their church approves or not.

The New Age is rather immense and the only part I steer clear from is when they put on costumes and a show such as chanting while dressed like a Native American or something since I believe the New Age is about humanity coming together and not us following a special shaman or whatever.

I prefer good old Western dress and speech. Regardles of my preference tell me more of how you all view it mixing with other beliefs and I guess all these different definitions of the New Age are fine but it would seem that everyone has a different one, which is good for now becuase it really is that big.

Edited by I believe you, 15 February 2013 - 05:33 PM.

#29    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,608 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

OK I will give one example:

Oprah Winfrey hyped up The Secret but also claims she is a Christian, she has also claimed there are other paths not just Christianity (I believe this too since Romans 2:13-16 tells me this).

This to me is the New Age feeding back into Christianity.

Is this happening in other places to other religions with the New Age blending in quietly like this?

Edited by I believe you, 15 February 2013 - 05:42 PM.

#30    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,004 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

If one wishes to climb a mountain to get to the heavens, there are many mountains to choose from and each mountain has many trails.  It is true that some are more difficult than others and some take longer, and some go nowhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users