Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

16 y.o. kid solves puzzles posed by Newton

Big Bad Voodoo

A 16-year-old has managed to crack puzzles which have baffled the world of maths for more than 350 years.

Shouryya Ray has been hailed a genius after working out the problems set by Sir Isaac Newton.

The schoolboy, from Dresden, Germany, solved two fundamental particle dynamics theories which physicists have previously been able to calculate only by using powerful computers.

http://www.dailymail...-350-years.html

Edited by the L
  • Like 1

Excellent!

He'll be helping design new WMDs in no time.

:)

For those of you who (like me) read the article and couldn't figure out why it was important, the important point that the newspaper omitted is ``subject to air resistance''.

This kid solved the problem of trajectories subject to gravity and linear damping, and the problem of collisions subject to linear damping.

The problems of trajectories and collisions in perfect conditions (with no energy loss) has, of course, been solved for hundreds of years and is easy enough that an average high school kid should be able to accomplish it.

It would be nice if ``scientific writers'' for news papers actually attempted to convey the important information in their articles.

Edited by sepulchrave

She copied my answer.

I'm telling miss!

Not entirely convinced that the solution is as presented.

As mentioned, it involves linear damping which in terms of dynamic atmospheric densities is almost non-existent, and therefore, the "solution" remains an approximation. IMO

I hope things like this allows our scientific community to revert back to valuing the role of youth in scientific innovation. While we are still young it is important that we act like children and rebel against the standards. If we have no youth, we have no progress.

Give the elders a chance to just relax and pass the torch on.

These stories make me happy

ok you solved newtons equations. big whoop. me and my friend have solved equations by Einstein. someone far more advanced than newton. we have found a MAJOR flaw in his theory of relativity. we are still working on it but im pretty we will find a way to disprove Einstein. if you want a real "genius" come to westerly RI 02891. you will find one.

plus keithisco has a point. the solution is only an approximation. therefore, an opinion not cold hard fact

ok you solved newtons equations. big whoop. me and my friend have solved equations by Einstein. someone far more advanced than newton. we have found a MAJOR flaw in his theory of relativity. we are still working on it but im pretty we will find a way to disprove Einstein. if you want a real "genius" come to westerly RI 02891. you will find one.

well if your so smart why haven't you sovled newtons equations?
  • Like 2

If its never been solved befor how do we know if its right.

I would've thought the way to know it's right is if it has been tried, tested, tried again, tested, compared, then eventually proven?

It'd fit into the rest of physics laws. They would have tested this over and over, if it couldn't be dis proven it's fact for now.

Although, it may even be altered later- science is like that, it has holes and is changeable as we grow and learn.

Congrats to that kid anyway! I'm just a bit concerned what course certain areas of science and technology may take after this.

As is your own post nothing but an opinion and not cold hard facts is it?

• 1 month later...

He's Indian living in Germany. proof?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaurya_(missile)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aishwarya_Rai

He's Indian living in Germany. proof?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaurya_(missile)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aishwarya_Rai.

it even says in the article link that he cant speak german