Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ark of the Covenant to be revealed?

Still Waters

A very British problem of a leaky church roof could be about to give the world the chance to glimpse the legendary Ark of the Covenant.

That's because the claimed home of the iconic relic - a small chapel in Ethiopia - has sprung a leak and so the Ark could now be on the move.

The Ark - which The Bible says holds God's Ten Commandments given to Moses on Mount Sinai - is said to have been kept in Aksum, in the Chapel of the Tablet, adjacent to St Mary of Zion Church, since the 1960s.

According to the Old Testament, it was first kept in the Temple of Solomon in Jerusalem for centuries until a Babylonian invasion in the 6th century BC.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paracelse

• docyabut2

• KainFall

• DieChecker

hmmm ... I'd love it if they transported it around in a big wooden box with the stencils burns off like at the end of Indiana Jones.

I was under the impression that it was not known where the Arc was .....

The Ark - which The Bible says holds God's Ten Commandments given to Moses on Mount Sinai - is said to have been kept in Aksum, in the Chapel of the Tablet, adjacent to St Mary of Zion Church, since the 1960s.

I guess it must be right because " it is said " that is where it is :mellow:

I'm doubting this story very much ....

TiP.

In the Ethiopian claim the timeline is wrong.

They claim Solomon`s Son removed the ark in 1,000 BC ,however the Bible records the ark as being in the frist temple 400 hundred years later when the Babylonians destroyed it in 586 BC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Temple

Not to mention the ark is s'posed to be a weapon of mass destruction and if the Ethiopian gov would had access to it, it's not an old monk who could have stopped them of using it. Sorry Hancock.

what is it with whether the ark is there or not?

either its there, or its not there.

its that chapel off limits, inaccessible, or locked?

by tradition it is believed by the Ethiopians that the actual ark of the covenant is housed in one of their chapels

naturally it is highly revered and is not on display for the public but kept within their holy of holys

so only a select few have the task of looking after it

there is no fort-knox-like security, just a priest guard and a padlock

there have been requests by many people over the years to view and examine the ark but all have been turned down

so we have no way of knowing for sure if it is the original artefact or a facsimile

The fact so many believe the Ark of the covenant to be held in the Ethiopian Chapel and that they base so much devotion to it makes this almost as interesting as it would if the relic so closely guarded was the actual Ark of biblical renown. They may be nothing more than religous loons led astray yonks ago but the fetish for Arks there only adds to the mystery and cultural respect.

rastafari.jpg?w=450

zedNuts

ps: There has been much speculation about this going back many centuries (EG: that the Italians replaced the Chapel's Ark with a replica and sent the real one to the Vatican during their occupation of Ethiopia early last century). All said, mythology is important and has power to change the world. May this mystery forever remain so.

They should do the Nazi test, grab a couple Nazis and put them in front of that thing, see if they melt.

:tu:

The Bible God hates Nazis .. they're made too much in his image and he hates the competition ^_^

this is a joke right? lol i think it's a pretty good movie fantasy better then alice in wonderland but claiming that it actually exists that's taken things to far lol

this is a joke right? lol i think it's a pretty good movie fantasy better then alice in wonderland but claiming that it actually exists that's taken things to far lol

The Ark of the covenant is made out of Acacia Wood.

The wood is of course covered with Gold. But Wood is wood. The middle eastern lands is hot during the day and cold during the nights. the changing temperatures affect both metal and wood. Gold would expand during the day and contract during the night. the changing temperatures would cause the wood to go brittle during the long run.

The israelites would have changed the wood routinely or periodically. (Hmmm....during this changing of the wood, where would the stuff that sat inside it, be placed go to?)

The whole story of the Ark of the covenant being in Ethiopia as told in the Kebra Nagast, could most possibly be a propaganda tale to solidify the dysnasty's rule in the country.

yeah he took it along with your brain lol

Hey, genius, time to take a break from trolling and learn something.

"Then God's temple in heaven was opened, and within his temple was seen the ark of his covenant. And there came flashes of lightning, rumblings, peals of thunder, an earthquake and a great hailstorm." Revelation 11:19.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3

That sounds like any dark night here in oz during a good thunder storm lol.

In my opinion the frist Ark that Moses had made out of only wood had disintigrated.

The Ark and its sanctuary were "the beauty of Israel" (Lamentations 2:1). Rashi and some Midrashim suggest that there were two arks - a temporary one made by Moses, and a later one made by Bezalel.

In Deuteronomy it said the ark was made only out of wood.

Deut 10:1: "At that time the Lord said unto me, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first, and come up unto me into the mount, and make thee an ark of wood."

Deut 10:2: "And I will write on the tables the words that were in the first tables which thou breakest, and thou shalt put them in the ark."

Deut 10:3: So I made the ark out of acacia wood and chiseled out two stone tablets like the first ones, and I went up on the mountain with the two tablets in my hands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midrash

The second one I believe was never made, but the writers of Exodus wrote and glorified the frist as similer to what the Egyptains would have made.

http://www.jordanmaxwell.com/articles/religion/religion6.html

Not to mention the ark is s'posed to be a weapon of mass destruction and if the Ethiopian gov would had access to it, it's not an old monk who could have stopped them of using it. Sorry Hancock.

I heard it was an advanced technogical device.

Maybe they had their equivelent of ipad 2?

I heard it was an advanced technogical device.

Maybe they had their equivelent of ipad 2?

Those come equipped with an antitheft electrocution system? Sign me up! :tu:

Those come equipped with an antitheft electrocution system? Sign me up! :tu:

God gave one to moses with the 10 commandments on it.