Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

THE BEARD THREAD

gabe

Following the recent topic I made about mutton chops, I feel all sorts of beardery deserves it's own thread where we can discuss and share tips, so without further ado...

BTW, you don't have to read all this **** if you don't want to, just say what you want about beards.

1 WELCOME TO THE BEARD THREAD!!!!

400px-Lamb_of_God-0401-Mark_Morton.jpg

The nature of the beard contributes in an incredible degree to distinguish the maturity of bodies, or to distinguish the sex, or to contribute to the beauty of manliness and strength." Lactantius (c. 304-314, W), 7.288

1.1 what's this?

Beards are cool. They have a long history of cultural significance. Often viewed as a sign of wisdom and virility, it is an unmistakable symbol of manliness

1.2 Why grow a beard?

Beards can be sexy, intimidating and can hide weak facial structure. If you live up north, it insulates your face making you warmer. Depending on your culture it shows status or liberation. Beards are another way to personalize your looks, like hair and clothes are.

1.2 Why do we have beards?

Men have beards due to sexual selection, but why it became a secondary sex characteristic is unknown. It's theorized that facial hair showed high testosterone and therefor fertility. Androgenic hair even has it's name from a class of male hormones called androgen, which testosterone is a part of.

1.3 I can't grow a beard. Does that mean I'm not manly?

Nope. Beards didn't evolve in all cultures, therefor genes have a lot to say about whether you can grow a beard or not, and is not necessarily an indication of abnormal hormone levels. Some get them late in life, some not at all.

Beard growth usually starts at the sides of the upper lip, then forms a mustache. Next to appear is sideburns which eventually extends to the bottom of the lip, until it finally covers your entire face.

2 beard styles

beardtypes1.jpg

Above is an extended beard chart showing of different styles. Styles that are still considered fashionable in the west include the goatee, Van Dyck, chin curtain, and the short boxed style.

3 Shaving: The lost art

400px-Pionnier-legion.JPG]

"Shaving was a custom of the Macedonian military, taken over by Hellenic and Roman society. From then on the beard becomes a philosophical status symbol, a sign of non-conformism." - Peter Sloterdijk

Shaving has become somewhat of a lost art. Today disposable safety razors has turned shaving into a chore, instead of the fun relaxing activity it should be.

You've no doubt dealt with dull razors, burns and all that follows, but it doesn't have to be like that. What you are about to read may surprise you.

If you own a gillette catridge razor, you've been ripped of. That's right. The Gillete catridge razors are nowhere near the quality of the double-edged razors your granddad used. And if you think you can't afford a high quality razor, it may actually SAVE YOU MONEY IN THE LONG RUN. Here is a comparison between a Gillette M3Power Nitro Razor, and Merkur HD Long Handle Barber Pole 38C razor:

snifflr.png

3.1 Shaving with a DE razor

3.1.1 How is it different from a cartridge razor?

This section is very important as it contains safety tips

With a cartridge razor, you always shave against the grain, but with a DE razor you can shave any direction you want. You also have to shave at an angle as the head of a DE isn't flexible, but it's quickly learned.. And most importantly DO NOT PUSH IT, but hold it gently against your face, you'll be surprised how smooth it works. It also requires skin to be somewhat firm and, coupled with the lack of flexibility, makes it somewhat difficult to shave your balls with.

3.1.2 What you need to get started

You need four things

1. a DE razor
  2. A badger brush
  3. shaving soap
  4. Stand for the badger brush and razor

for A razor. I recommend the Merkur 38C, because it has a long handle and good grip. For shaving soap, I love Col. Conk. It feels so good against the skin. For brush, I guess any badger brush would do, if it's above your budget, you can try the omega/target proraso boar brush, which is great, but beware that most other boar brushes don't work as good as badger brushes. Stands... Obviously something that fits.

3.1.3 How to shave

The best time to shave is after a shower, be sure to keep your face wet with warm water. Wet the brush with warm water as well, not scolding, but warm enough to 'feel it', now use the brush to scrub the shaving soap a few times. lather it in your hands or in a bowl until it becomes creamy.brush it gently on your face. Take the DE razor at an angle (will take a little experimenting perhaps) and drag GENTLY, it will almost go automatically. and that's the basic gist of it. When done, hang the brush on a stand so the water doesn't go down to the glue and shorten it's lifespan.

Additional info:

Mantic59 has a great series that should answer any questions you have.

here is a basic tutorial

more will be added later.... hopefully___________________________________

Damn, does that cover everything? Phew, I sure hope SOMEONE replies, so I didn't waste the time it took to write all that. Please add your comments and opinions on beards

Edited by gabe

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• gabe

• Eldorado

• Lady Amethyst

I'm not normally a fan of facial hair on men in general... however, I did date one guy that did have a weak chin in general... he looked great with a goatee because it gave him some chin.

My current bf tends to like to be clean shaven, however, when we were younger, he did have the beard that he kept fairly short... I liked it, I think it suited him, but since he does some modeling, his agency tend to like him clean shaven (specially since his beard has a bit of grey in it)... including the chest. LOL.

a beard with a bit of gray in it looks very mature. I think a full beard with mixed gray gives a "fatherly" look, you know? Like a kind and friendly old man who always gives good advice ^_^

I want a really thick beard when I grow old, but now it doesn't get too long, so no matter how long it grows it always looks kind of trimmed

Sad face hair story

I had some pretty sick Mutton-Chops a few years back. (dressed as Wolverine for Halloween). By Christmas I had a string of tiny christmas lights in it, everyone thought it was awesome but some *** at work didn't like it. Feeling a little embarrased I got rid of the lights and the chops, and they've never returned. :(

I like a nice trimmed beard, not too rough. Clean shaven is nice too.

No ZZ Top beards please.

You just have to clean it after you eat a meal. No saving snacks for later.

Most women do not like full beards. I've hardly ever met a woman that likes them.

It's disgusting when men get food and other nasties stuck in their beards.Beards can often be smelly and harbor germs. It's also like a mask. I prefer smooth not abrasive and i don't care for hairy dental floss or the feeling of making out with a chimp. It's like pubic hair on their faces.

I would only suggest a full beard if a man has an ugly or weak chin & big buck teeth. I also hate how mustaches look. Maybe because my father (& grandfathers) was always clean shaven. I'm irritated by/when handsome men partially hide their faces

But if it gives him pleasure (or her), go for the grow

On the other hand I find Goaties can look good/interesting/attractive. Strange.....

Edited by momentarylapseofreason

Some men look dead sexy with goaties...SERIOUSLY SEXY

Some men could do with a goatie LOL

I don't like the Grizzly Adams look no.gif

I do...I don't know whyh, forthe love of nanny goats I don't know why..I just do lol..

No wait I know why, because I am weird like that lol

Am I the only woman on UM that likes full beards on men? It isn't nasty. It's.... :unsure2: I just won't go into details! lol

Vikings had beards.

Am I the only woman on UM that likes full beards on men? It isn't nasty. It's.... :unsure2: I just won't go into details! lol

Vikings had beards.

You'd like it here then; I'm in the engineering department and there are many, many bearded men. Must be an engineering thing.

Am I the only woman on UM that likes full beards on men? It isn't nasty. It's.... unsure.gif I just won't go into details! lol

I'll bet Santa was like some pin up guy for you then? loltongue.gif ...Moses your idol LOL

i wish a have beard like wayne from static x :hmm:

Lol, I tried that once.

ABCD0014.jpg

Am I the only woman on UM that likes full beards on men? It isn't nasty. It's.... unsure.gif I just won't go into details! lol

Vikings had beards.

Vikings never had triple-bladed razors, shaving foam and after-shave.....lol.

Doesn't a hairy-faced man give you a face rash when you kiss, ladies?

(My ex was always tellin me to shave before some passion.)

Here is my Say upon having a Beard.

I do have to say that my Dear Wife Really Digs my Beard, she Loves my Mustache as well, and the Beard both, it forms around down my Chin but not to far, but over to a Point coming to a well shaped point, like Sean Cannery’s Beard in shape, and its white. She Loves to stoke my bread gently as we lay there and talk, and Pull n' my beard when she’s feel n’ Heavy leading me in for her sweet Kisses, Its kept as well groomed, she loves to trim it with the Beard Scissors, the only Women I would ever trust with a pair of Scissors and a Razor. I think the Ladies should communicate with their Men what they really like, or don’t in a beard and all of life, Women need that communication going on, and mess n' with the beard while we chat is part of that closeness.

Pavot

Edited by Enigmatic Ghost

I've just a small 'flavor saver' goat. It's not on your chart. I laughed at the last sentence of point '3.1.1 How is it different from a cartridge razor?'

I always thought that Grizzly Adams had the best beard ever. :D

grizzly-adams.jpg

I just said that I prefer viking types and beards don't bother me. Now ppl are trying to make me feel that I'm abnormal because of it. There are about 2 or 3 posters taking the p out of me. It happens to anyone who are different :hmm:

I just said that I prefer viking types and beards don't bother me. Now ppl are trying to make me feel that I'm abnormal because of it. There are about 2 or 3 posters taking the p out of me. It happens to anyone who are different hmm.gif

Errmm I was joking about Moses being your idol lol..relax!!

I just said that I prefer viking types and beards don't bother me. Now ppl are trying to make me feel that I'm abnormal because of it. There are about 2 or 3 posters taking the p out of me. It happens to anyone who are different hmm.gif

Was only joking, Lady....lol

Beards, like hairstyles, are a fashion thing........some years they're popular....other years they aint.

I always thought that Grizzly Adams had the best beard ever. :D

grizzly-adams.jpg

Few men can pull off such a fine beard with snow washed ankle swingers like Grizzly Adams.

Yum... beards. As I mentioned in the mutton chops thread, mutton chops are my favored facial hair style, but beards of most other syles are excellent, too. I never noticed how much I liked facial hair, until I recollected and realized all my past partners had some sort of goatee. Drooooool.

any woman who doesn't find Grizzly Adams beard charming, is not the women for me.

You'd like it here then; I'm in the engineering department and there are many, many bearded men. Must be an engineering thing.

I studied electronics, and every experienced electrician wears a mustache, so I guess it's an internal fashioned/culture thing. There seems to be a proportional relationship between beards and industris focused on building, repairing and designing... I call it quantum beard theory

Nope...here's the sickest beard ever...

ChadGrey.jpg

Shoot...those puppies could double as whips... :tu: