Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Biden's tip for self-defense: Get a shotgun

joe biden guns shotgun

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#16    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,156 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

View PostYamato, on 20 February 2013 - 12:47 PM, said:

because he knows that for anyone attacking his wife, that 2nd gunshot will scare them away.
Well, if the second shot doesn't scare them away, then I bet that lifetime Secret Service protection will do the trick.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#17    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,153 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

A shotgun makes more sense then a pistol. A pistol has to be aimed or it can be vary inaccuarte, so it takes time to get a shot. A shotgun, loaded with say buckshot, can be fired from the hip in the direction and still more then likely hit the target.

You can buy 'tactical' shotguns which still have a long enough barrel that quicking aiming wont have much effect down range, esspecialy in a small area. A shotgun is the ideal home defence firearm, if you are looking for one. Its loud and intimidating which 9 times out of 10 is all you need. Most home intruders arn't there to kill you, they are there to steal from you and even if they have a gun odds are that they wont use it.

A shotgun is cheap, effective, and easy to maintain. Also you can get recoil softening pads.

~Thanato

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#18    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,868 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

View PostiNvRG, on 20 February 2013 - 08:39 AM, said:

Shotguns leave a mess and I wouldn't want to have all that all over my house. A handgun works just fine.

Really? Ppl are talking about the effectiveness of a shotgun in saving your life in home defense and you're concerned with it 'leaving a mess'?

It seems like safety to some people is not the reason for owning a gun. Its the excuse for owning a gun.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#19    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,557 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

There is a very large element of comedy in this, like almost everything that Joe does.  And some element of hypocrisy, as he is advocating to be the "gun advisor" to the masses.  The VP is the authority on what kind of firearms citizens should possess, just ask him! :yes:

#20    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

Ok, so, buy a shotgun. Can we saw off the barrel?

Edited by WoIverine, 20 February 2013 - 02:53 PM.

#21    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,112 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

View PostThanato, on 20 February 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

A shotgun makes more sense then a pistol. A pistol has to be aimed or it can be vary inaccuarte, so it takes time to get a shot. A shotgun, loaded with say buckshot, can be fired from the hip in the direction and still more then likely hit the target.

You can buy 'tactical' shotguns which still have a long enough barrel that quicking aiming wont have much effect down range, esspecialy in a small area. A shotgun is the ideal home defence firearm, if you are looking for one. Its loud and intimidating which 9 times out of 10 is all you need. Most home intruders arn't there to kill you, they are there to steal from you and even if they have a gun odds are that they wont use it.

A shotgun is cheap, effective, and easy to maintain. Also you can get recoil softening pads.

~Thanato

nonsence.

pistol is a lot more covinient, and easier to handle in tight spaces, like halways, where most shootings occur. try it, not to metion a soundwave from a shotgun, inside clodsed space will dissorient the s..t out of most, +huge muzzle falsh. half blinded, with loud ringing in your ears, will make you a perfect target, again try it,  oh, btw buck shot is a bad idea either, interior walls made from sheetrock, buckshot will go thru 2 walls easy, have done it myself, not once.   and yea, if i hear my window brake ot 2am, looking for my recoil pad will be last thing i would care about.

no, you can.t buy a tactical shotgun here, they are banned here., short barreled shotguns would be a bit easier to handle in confined space, but they are banned here as well.

i don't know where you got your info, but obviusly it is far from real world.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#22    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,951 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

Oh dear, seems Biden didn't get the memo about disarming Americans. :P

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#23    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,153 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

View Postaztek, on 20 February 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

nonsence.

pistol is a lot more covinient, and easier to handle in tight spaces, like halways, where most shootings occur. try it, not to metion a soundwave from a shotgun, inside clodsed space will dissorient the s..t out of most, +huge muzzle falsh. half blinded, with loud ringing in your ears, will make you a perfect target, again try it,  oh, btw buck shot is a bad idea either, interior walls made from sheetrock, buckshot will go thru 2 walls easy, have done it myself, not once.   and yea, if i hear my window brake ot 2am, looking for my recoil pad will be last thing i would care about.

no, you can.t buy a tactical shotgun here, they are banned here., short barreled shotguns would be a bit easier to handle in confined space, but they are banned here as well.

i don't know where you got your info, but obviusly it is far from real world.

I go with my experience with a 9mm pistol the things are horribly inacurate unless you have time to properly aim. Thats a fact. The shorter barrel makes it good for tight spaces but also makes them terrible weapons if you are starttled. A shotgun though bigger is easier for 'room clearing'. Can be loaded with area affect ammo, duch as buck or bird shot. Has tremendus stopping Power and amazing fear factor. For home defence a pistol just doesnt equal the shot gun.

So you cant get an 18 inch barrel pump?

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

#24    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,431 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

For the umpteenth time, the 2nd ammendment is not about defending your home from burgalars or hunting squirells, it's about defending your freedom from tyrants.  We need AR 15's and AK 47's to even begin to do that, unless we get some extreme campaign reform.

#25    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,153 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

View PostOverSword, on 20 February 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

For the umpteenth time, the 2nd ammendment is not about defending your home from burgalars or hunting squirells, it's about defending your freedom from tyrants.  We need AR 15's and AK 47's to even begin to do that, unless we get some extreme campaign reform.

Why not get some RPGs?

#26    hatecraft

hatecraft

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

A shotgun is not ideal for room clearing and does not have "area effect".  At typical distances inside a house (20 feet or less), even the smallest size birdshot will only "open up" to an area the size of a human fist.  It isn't like the movies.  A pistol is much more effective in this situation.  With a pistol, you can have one hand free for opening doors, operating a light(weapon mounted lights only let the intruder know where to aim) and for pushing back an assailant.  That being said, I still keep a 12 gauge loaded with 7 rounds of #4 buckshot in the bedroom for my wife as her pistol skill isn't the most advanced. Hopefully the sound of the slide racking will be enough to scare off a would be attacker in my absence.

#27    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,112 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

View PostThanato, on 20 February 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

I go with my experience with a 9mm pistol the things are horribly inacurate unless you have time to properly aim. Thats a fact. The shorter barrel makes it good for tight spaces but also makes them terrible weapons if you are starttled. A shotgun though bigger is easier for 'room clearing'. Can be loaded with area affect ammo, duch as buck or bird shot. Has tremendus stopping Power and amazing fear factor. For home defence a pistol just doesnt equal the shot gun.

So you cant get an 18 inch barrel pump?
i don't know much about your experience, but i trained my wife to shoot paper plates at 25 yards with ruger p94 in 3 trips to the range, she is now way overqualified for simple home defence.
every single person i took shooting, tried shotgun few times than never touched them again, pistols otoh, they kept shooting, improving until we ran out of ammo.

home invasion shootings happen at distance 10-15 feet, even little trained person would hit at that distance, that is also a fact. but 99,9% of ppl that have guns for home defence, do shoot them and do know how to use them, i know i see many of them on ranges, including females,  actually lately i see surge of females on the ranges, even 3 years ago, it was very different.,
it doesn't matter how long the barrel is, overall lenght, no less than 26 inches.

that would also answer a question, why we need hundreds, even thousand rounds of ammo, practice requires it,

Edited by aztek, 20 February 2013 - 06:46 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#28    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,112 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

View PostThanato, on 20 February 2013 - 06:34 PM, said:

Why not get some RPGs?

we are not talking about rpg,
we don't want rpg's, doesn't matter why, we just don't, that is all there is to it, no point discussing why.

but if you think for a moment you'll quickly realise why we don't want rpg

RESIDENT TROLL.

#29    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 20 February 2013 - 05:22 AM, said:

If I were to buy a gun to protect myself/my property it'd be a shotgun. Big, loud and imposing. You'd not even need to use to to brown someone's trousers, and need very little training to do damage.

Can you carry a loaded shotgun walking down the street? I might be attacked outside of my house. I can carry a pistol around with me, as long as I have a permit. Not sure about a shotgun.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#30    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

View Postaztek, on 20 February 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

we are not talking about rpg,
we don't want rpg's, doesn't matter why, we just don't, that is all there is to it, no point discussing why.

but if you think for a moment you'll quickly realise why we don't want rpg
Who is "we"? Do you mean yourself?

Edited by FLOMBIE, 20 February 2013 - 06:58 PM.

Also tagged with joe biden, guns, shotgun

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users