Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Biden's tip for self-defense: Get a shotgun

DieChecker

A shotgun is not ideal for room clearing and does not have "area effect". At typical distances inside a house (20 feet or less), even the smallest size birdshot will only "open up" to an area the size of a human fist. It isn't like the movies. A pistol is much more effective in this situation. With a pistol, you can have one hand free for opening doors, operating a light(weapon mounted lights only let the intruder know where to aim) and for pushing back an assailant. That being said, I still keep a 12 gauge loaded with 7 rounds of #4 buckshot in the bedroom for my wife as her pistol skill isn't the most advanced. Hopefully the sound of the slide racking will be enough to scare off a would be attacker in my absence.

I go with my experience with a 9mm pistol the things are horribly inacurate unless you have time to properly aim. Thats a fact. The shorter barrel makes it good for tight spaces but also makes them terrible weapons if you are starttled. A shotgun though bigger is easier for 'room clearing'. Can be loaded with area affect ammo, duch as buck or bird shot. Has tremendus stopping Power and amazing fear factor. For home defence a pistol just doesnt equal the shot gun.

So you cant get an 18 inch barrel pump?

i don't know much about your experience, but i trained my wife to shoot paper plates at 25 yards with ruger p94 in 3 trips to the range, she is now way overqualified for simple home defence.

every single person i took shooting, tried shotgun few times than never touched them again, pistols otoh, they kept shooting, improving until we ran out of ammo.

home invasion shootings happen at distance 10-15 feet, even little trained person would hit at that distance, that is also a fact. but 99,9% of ppl that have guns for home defence, do shoot them and do know how to use them, i know i see many of them on ranges, including females, actually lately i see surge of females on the ranges, even 3 years ago, it was very different.,

it doesn't matter how long the barrel is, overall lenght, no less than 26 inches.

that would also answer a question, why we need hundreds, even thousand rounds of ammo, practice requires it,

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

Why not get some RPGs?

we are not talking about rpg,

we don't want rpg's, doesn't matter why, we just don't, that is all there is to it, no point discussing why.

but if you think for a moment you'll quickly realise why we don't want rpg

If I were to buy a gun to protect myself/my property it'd be a shotgun. Big, loud and imposing. You'd not even need to use to to brown someone's trousers, and need very little training to do damage.

Can you carry a loaded shotgun walking down the street? I might be attacked outside of my house. I can carry a pistol around with me, as long as I have a permit. Not sure about a shotgun.

• Like 1

we are not talking about rpg,

we don't want rpg's, doesn't matter why, we just don't, that is all there is to it, no point discussing why.

but if you think for a moment you'll quickly realise why we don't want rpg

Who is "we"? Do you mean yourself?

Edited by FLOMBIE

I'm glad some people here have actually seen a shotgun in person. It slays me how these threads always have people talking about a shotgun like you pull the trigger and anything withinin a 180 degree arc in front of you dies. There are reasons a shotgun is preferable to other weapons as a home defense weapon:

1 - They're intimidating. It just has more psychological impact for someone to see you holding a rifle-sized weapon than a pistol-sized one (especially if you're looking down the bore of a 12 gauge and imagine the amount of lead that will come out when the trigger's pulled). Also, the sound of a pump shotgun chambering a shell in an otherwise quiet room is one of the most bowel-loosening sounds known to man.

2 - Unlike rifles, the chance of a stray shot from a shotgun going through your walls and across the street, through the neighbor's walls and killing him when he's in his living room is almost nonexistent. This is true even with a slug. You can cheat by using sabot loads, but those are for big game hunting just like the ammo most big rifles fire.

There may be other pros to the use of a shotgun as a home defense weapon, but the idea that you can close your eyes and pull the trigger and kill anyone else who happens to be in the same room with you is only one of them in the minds of those who get their ideas about shotguns from movies.

Edited by sam12six
  • Like 2

I think one important question to ask yourself is Do you want the thug to live or die via your gun blast ? ( Or do you care ? ) It's always been my understanding that you want the thug dead in one shot. Multiple shots pumped into one victim takes much more explaining and convincing to do for the authorities. And if the thug lives, it makes it far more easier for them to file a lawsuit.

So I would go with whatever I feel has the most firepower.

• Like 3

nonsence.

pistol is a lot more covinient, and easier to handle in tight spaces, like halways, where most shootings occur. try it, not to metion a soundwave from a shotgun, inside clodsed space will dissorient the s..t out of most, +huge muzzle falsh. half blinded, with loud ringing in your ears, will make you a perfect target, again try it, oh, btw buck shot is a bad idea either, interior walls made from sheetrock, buckshot will go thru 2 walls easy, have done it myself, not once. and yea, if i hear my window brake ot 2am, looking for my recoil pad will be last thing i would care about.

no, you can.t buy a tactical shotgun here, they are banned here., short barreled shotguns would be a bit easier to handle in confined space, but they are banned here as well.

i don't know where you got your info, but obviusly it is far from real world.

Shooting at the range is very different than shooting under high stress.

• Like 1

I think that the main advantage of the shotgun is psychological, as far as home invaders are involved. The homeowner feels more confident with a bigger gun, and the intruder has more intimitation when he learns there is a shotgun in the house.

I've also seen the inaccuracy of various pistols. If the pistol shooter is small, or old, or inexperinced, or twitchy, or just not very strong, then a mid range pistol is going to be hard for them to use with good accuracy. To hit an intruder, even at 20 feet, they will have to empty the clip. With a shotgun braced on the shoulder, aiming and hitting are a lot easier. I'd think that it would take much more training to be a good pistol gunman, and less so to be to the same accuracy using a shotgun.

• Like 2

I think that the main advantage of the shotgun is psychological, as far as home invaders are involved. The homeowner feels more confident with a bigger gun, and the intruder has more intimitation when he learns there is a shotgun in the house.

I've also seen the inaccuracy of various pistols. If the pistol shooter is small, or old, or inexperinced, or twitchy, or just not very strong, then a mid range pistol is going to be hard for them to use with good accuracy. To hit an intruder, even at 20 feet, they will have to empty the clip. With a shotgun braced on the shoulder, aiming and hitting are a lot easier. I'd think that it would take much more training to be a good pistol gunman, and less so to be to the same accuracy using a shotgun.

Agreed. Also from an effectiveness POV, a shotgun is superior. I've witnessed two people getting shot during fights with small caliber pistols and both times they kept coming. I simply cannot imagine someone doing the same being hit center mass with a load of buckshot. It's like being shot in the same spot several times.

Rifles are too powerful for point blank defense (say 10 feet). They're made to be effective at hundreds of yards. Both pistols and shotguns are designed for shorter ranges. Between the 2, a shotgun is more likely to put someone down without making a perfect shot and since a perfect shot isn't likely given the stress of the situation, I think it makes a more practical defense weapon.

It all depends on what you are used to, what grain bullet and whether it's a hollow point or not. I'm not fond of long guns therefore I don't practice with them a great deal. I would much rather have the .357 or .45.

• Like 1

Shooting at the range is very different than shooting under high stress.

correct but not much relavant. shoting pistol is faster, and easyer, under stress as well. just ask those that had that happen to them,

i'd take pistol over shotgun,

shotgun over ak,

and any weapon over no weapon.

• Like 1

Who is "we"? Do you mean yourself?

my self included.

you are talking about americans, who believe in second amendment, and who fights to keep those rights, well, i'm one of them,

It all depends on what you are used to, what grain bullet and whether it's a hollow point or not. I'm not fond of long guns therefore I don't practice with them a great deal. I would much rather have the .357 or .45.

I love my twin 45's,but now days i am waiting for the day i turn on the tv hearing some jackass saying crimson trace laser grips are dangerous.Gives the law abiding citizen protecting his home to much of an advantage.We must take action,these must be banned!

• Like 1

I love my twin 45's,but now days i am waiting for the day i turn on the tv hearing some jackass saying crimson trace laser grips are dangerous.Gives the law abiding citizen protecting his home to much of an advantage.We must take action,these must be banned!

I've been thinking seriously about getting laser grips. Might be a good anniversary present. :tu:

• Like 1

I've been thinking seriously about getting laser grips. Might be a good anniversary present. :tu:

You will not be dissapointed!Well worth the cost :tu:

correct but not much relavant. shoting pistol is faster, and easyer, under stress as well. just ask those that had that happen to them,

i'd take pistol over shotgun,

shotgun over ak,

and any weapon over no weapon.

I would choose a pistol only as a secondary weapon never a primary weapon. A shotgun makes a good room clearing weapon and close range weapon.

An AK is ok, but I would only take a new one as the used ones are rather unreliable.

Agreed. Also from an effectiveness POV, a shotgun is superior. I've witnessed two people getting shot during fights with small caliber pistols and both times they kept coming. I simply cannot imagine someone doing the same being hit center mass with a load of buckshot. It's like being shot in the same spot several times.

Rifles are too powerful for point blank defense (say 10 feet). They're made to be effective at hundreds of yards. Both pistols and shotguns are designed for shorter ranges. Between the 2, a shotgun is more likely to put someone down without making a perfect shot and since a perfect shot isn't likely given the stress of the situation, I think it makes a more practical defense weapon.

Which, in any case, why the hell do you need an assault rifle in the home anyway for the purposes of defence? Unless you're intent on shooting anything that comes up the street, why the hell is it necessary?

Which, in any case, why the hell do you need an assault rifle in the home anyway for the purposes of defence? Unless you're intent on shooting anything that comes up the street, why the hell is it necessary?

Don't know how many times this needs to be said, but they don't want the AR15's and such for home defense, they're for fighting against a tyrannical government. Another correction; we don't generally have assault rifles, getting an automatic or burst weapon is difficult in this country, and requires permits that are only granted by judges and sheriffs.

With how much you insult people about not "graduating grade school", I figured you would get a simple definition correct, and follow a simple statement made by several members here.

Edited by green_dude777
  • Like 1

Except for the fact that, you know, shotguns wouldn't be nearly as effective as assault rifles if the citizens of the country ever decide to revolt in the future. That's the whole point of the 2nd amendment, to protect yourself from threats foreign and domestic.

If someone doesn't go homicidal with a pistol(which causes far, far more deaths than assault rifles), then they probably won't do so with an assault weapon.

Another correction; we don't generally have assault rifles, getting an automatic or burst weapon is difficult in this country, and requires permits that are only granted by judges and sheriffs.

So, you've basically just said that you can go down to the judge or sheriff's office and get a permit to own full auto assault rifles. And that's "difficult" in the US?

With how much you insult people about not "graduating grade school", I figured you would get a simple definition correct, and follow a simple statement made by several members here.

I would have done if the responses from several other posters weren't "lol ur dumb" or "ur a furkin' commie go die stalin".

Confucius say he who brings cricket bat to gun fight can kiss his *** goodbye :tu:

New zealanders are lousy at Cricket anyway,he'd probably miss.

Edited by shaddow134
  • Like 1

New zealanders are lousy at Cricket anyway,he'd probably miss.

LMAO i dont follow cricket much,but i will take your word for it :lol: