Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

British family in US race row lawsuit who

Still Waters

A British family is at the centre of a legal case in America after they allegedly told a luxury hotel they did not want to be served by black staff.

The family, whose principal member has only been named as Rodney Morgan, were said to have asked management at the Ritz Carlton in Naples, Florida, they did not want to deal with "people of colour" or staff with "foreign accents".

Legal papers state their request was then entered into the computer system at the five star hotel before a black waiter was then stopped from serving them.

The race row came after lawyers acting for the waiter, Haitian-born Wadner Tranchant, sued the hotel.

The 40 year-old black waiter claims he was stopped serving the family during their stay in February to avoid upsetting them.

The rest of the family, who were British, were not identified.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MissMelsWell

• Michelle

• J.B.

• Sthenno

Top Posters In This Topic

That's shocking. I'm not even that surprised these attitudes still exist but the fact that a big chain like Ritz Carlton actually followed the mans instructions... that's jaw-dropping.

Well, if they didn't want to be served by black staff members, they could always go to KlanFest or something! LOL!

According to the lawsuit filed against the hotel, managers breached the Civil Rights Act by stopping Mr Tranchant serving the couple. One of his duties was to fillet the sole at the table.

Mr Tranchant, a US citizen, was so offended he has sought medical and psychological help, according to the court papers. He is claiming compensation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh please, he's an opportunist...otherwise he would be suing the British guy and not the Ritz Carlton. It is their job to cater to their guests and they will do their absolute best to do so. :rolleyes:

According to the lawsuit filed against the hotel, managers breached the Civil Rights Act by stopping Mr Tranchant serving the couple. One of his duties was to fillet the sole at the table.

Mr Tranchant, a US citizen, was so offended he has sought medical and psychological help, according to the court papers. He is claiming compensation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh please, he's an opportunist...otherwise he would be suing the British guy and not the Ritz Carlton. It is their job to cater to their guests and they will do their absolute best to do so. :rolleyes:

I couldn't disagree more. It's absolutely the responsibility of the hotel - a large business responsible for its staff - not to accept such a request. it's the difference between someone making a racist remark at you in the street and someone telling you that you can't get on a bus or go into a coffee shop. I say he should take them for all they've got... big company like that shouldn't condone racism, it's a disgrace.

I couldn't disagree more. It's absolutely the responsibility of the hotel - a large business responsible for its staff - not to accept such a request. it's the difference between someone making a racist remark at you in the street and someone telling you that you can't get on a bus or go into a coffee shop. I say he should take them for all they've got... big company like that shouldn't condone racism, it's a disgrace.

So, you think the Carlton should have thrown the British family out instead?

What would have been your response?

Edited by Michelle

The Morgans had a daughter with them and ate stone crabs and dover sole.

Their daughter can't be that smart if she's eating stone crabs from the hotel garden. What if she broke a tooth!

I think if this was my hotel to manage... I'd have said... "The Ritz Carelton hires the best and most qualified staff available based on their skills not their color or ethnic origin. I'm sorry, but we can't accomodate your request. If you need to look for other accomodations, our concierge, Paublo Martinez, would be happy to help you locate another hotel. *snicker*

Really, end of story.

Edited by MissMelsWell

There are certain requests a hotel is required to refuse, and this is one of them.

If they aren;t required, they damn well should be.

I think if this was my hotel to manage... I'd have said... "The Ritz Carelton hires the best and most qualified staff available based on their skills not their color or ethnic origin. I'm sorry, but we can't accomodate your request. If you need to look for other accomodations, our concierge, Paublo Martinez, would be happy to help you locate another hotel. *snicker*

Really, end of story.

:w00t: Good answer!!!

But, it is difficult...when someone throws something, out of the blue at you, in the moment.

w00t.gif Good answer!!!

But, it is difficult...when someone throws something, out of the blue at you, in the moment.

Hotel managers are used to these weird kinds of things... if I had to guess at what happened; they made request to a check-in clerk who entered it into the computer with the intention of alerting the manager to deal with it. Either the manager didn't get the message in time, or some process broke down. At those top class hotels... the front desk staff wouldn't be the one to start something with the customer, especially with other guests in the lobby. They'd have the manager deal with it privately.

They wouldn't have had to do anything so dramatic. the request was made in advance, they had plenty of time to tell the family they didn't accommodate such requests and deal with it in a civilised manner.

Really, end of story.

Very good, I am surprised they had anybody to wait on them. I'm always amazed me how ignorant some people are. I hope he wins the suit.

Really, end of story.

Very good, I am surprised they had anybody to wait on them. I'm always amazed me how ignorant some people are. I hope he wins the suit.

I'd tell them to stuck it up the rectal cavity, personally and I would tell them I am not serving them because they are scum ;)

Edited by Mattshark

It might surprise some people to hear me say this... but I'm not so sure he should win, (of course, I don't have all the information either, there's probably a lot more to the story) bccause I have this feeling that there was probably just a break-down of process at the hotel. I'm guessing that the Ritz doesn't condone this kind of behavior from their guests and it's probably corporate policy to deny these kinds of requests. I have a feeling a staff member just got their lines crossed up, or someone failed to report the request to the property manager.

now if he wanted to start some kind of civil suit against the requestor, that might be something I'd be behind... but I'm not sure what law or statute would allow you sue someone for being a stupid butthead.

Ok, wait... I'm going back on what I just said. When I read the post, I thought after "The rest of the family was not identified" was the end of the story. I realize now it's NOT the entire story.

Yes, I actually DO hope he wins this case... the Ritz needs to fire their managing director. That was unacceptable behavior on his part. Completely unacceptable. I can see where this waiter would be hesitant and nervous at work after that incident... what would be to say that the DIRECTOR who did this wouldn't do it for a LOT more bigots making it almost impossible for this waiter to make a living. They afterall do work for tips based on their ability to serve their customers.

This director shouldn't be working in the service industry at all.

I think the director has been catering to the whims of racially bigotted idiots, and I hope this incident gets his ass nailed to a wall figuratively.

Ok, wait... I'm going back on what I just said. When I read the post, I thought after "The rest of the family was not identified" was the end of the story. I realize now it's NOT the entire story.

Yes, I actually DO hope he wins this case... the Ritz needs to fire their managing director. That was unacceptable behavior on his part. Completely unacceptable. I can see where this waiter would be hesitant and nervous at work after that incident... what would be to say that the DIRECTOR who did this wouldn't do it for a LOT more bigots making it almost impossible for this waiter to make a living. They afterall do work for tips based on their ability to serve their customers.

This director shouldn't be working in the service industry at all.

Nope...ding, ding, ding...times up. You had to make a split second decision, presumably, and you can't change your mind on how to handle it. The damage is already done. lol

If the reservations were made in advance, with such a stipulation, I could see them saying they were sorry but they can't accomidate them...which is what I would have done.

Nope...ding, ding, ding...times up. You had to make a split second decision, presumably, and you can't change your mind on how to handle it. The damage is already done. lol

If the reservations were made in advance, with such a stipulation, I could see them saying they were sorry but they can't accomidate them...which is what I would have done.

**throws jelly doughnuts at Michelle**

**throws jelly doughnuts at Michelle**

Nanner nanner....LOL!!!

I'd tell them to stuck it up the rectal cavity, personally and I would tell them I am not serving them because they are scum ;)

You and I are pretty much on the same page on that, but I would have been a little more tactful.

There are certain requests a hotel is required to refuse, and this is one of them.

If they aren;t required, they damn well should be.

Bingo...and now they getting burnt for it.

Don't know who's the more inept, the Ritz or the bigot.