Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

I Am

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,266 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 15 March 2013 - 04:23 AM, said:

The phrase "I am who I am" is biblical in origin.  It comes from the story of Moses, when God appeared to him in the burning bush.  God called Moses to lead his people, but Moses said he wasn't up to the task.  So if he did go to the people, and they ask him which God has sent him, what name should he give.  The reply was:  God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And he said, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'" (Exodus 3:14).  The term "I AM" became synonymous with God.

In the New Testament, in John 8:58-59, the Jews tried to stone Jesus because he claimed to be "I AM", an obvious attempt at calling himself God, which is blasphemy to any Jew.

Hope this information helps :tu:

~ Regards,

I'm pretty sure humankind used just this phrase or something close to it prior to biblical times. After all, at its most basic, it is a declaration of our existence and our identity, not necessarily with any religious connotation. BTW, there is a really good documentary called "I AM" that I highly recommend.

#17    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,512 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

View PostBeany, on 15 March 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure humankind used just this phrase or something close to it prior to biblical times. After all, at its most basic, it is a declaration of our existence and our identity, not necessarily with any religious connotation. BTW, there is a really good documentary called "I AM" that I highly recommend.
I'm sharing how "I AM" is used in its most ancient form, at least Ancient as can be transmitted through writing.  Perhaps it existed before this.  I wouldn't necessarily agree with such, but it might exist.  But since the Hebrew scriptures are amongst the oldest existing writings we have (not the oldest, but amongst the oldest) then that is what we have to work with.  Good luck in trying to prove an earlier incarnation of "I AM" through other sources.

Edited by Paranoid Android, 15 March 2013 - 01:59 PM.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#18    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,045 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

That raises a question I will throw out to for the real Bible scholars about:  Moses asked for God's name, which we know was "Jehovah" (Yaweh or something like that but in English it's Jehovah).  Why didn't God just answer the question instead of all that "I am" business?  And what is it all about anyway?

#19    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,512 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 15 March 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

That raises a question I will throw out to for the real Bible scholars about:  Moses asked for God's name, which we know was "Jehovah" (Yaweh or something like that but in English it's Jehovah).  Why didn't God just answer the question instead of all that "I am" business?  And what is it all about anyway?
The theological answer is "Progressive Revelation".  I'm currently occupied doing other things so I don't really have the time to flesh this answer out, but theologically speaking there is no problem with thinking of God as "Yahweh" and the "I Am" of Exodus 3.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#20    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,045 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 15 March 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

The theological answer is "Progressive Revelation".  I'm currently occupied doing other things so I don't really have the time to flesh this answer out, but theologically speaking there is no problem with thinking of God as "Yahweh" and the "I Am" of Exodus 3.
Is that how literalists interpret this -- okay.  Interesting.  You don't mention the scholarly view that it comes from somewhat less than perfect combination of stories derived from varying sources.  Progressive revelation seems to be a way to handle all sorts of rough edges.

#21    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,552 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Um. People talk about themselves a lot and the verb forms of "to be" are the most commonly used in English.

There's your answer.

Embrace the impossible.

#22    kais_1

kais_1

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

Posted Image

#23    kais_1

kais_1

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#24    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:04 AM

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/I

http://dictionary.ca...ry/british/am_1

Mystery solved. You may thank me later.

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#25    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

The Jewish names of God are all aspects of how He manifests in different ways at different times,  so each name representated  a sacred aspect or power, all mighty, eternal, merciful, judge, wise... kind of thing.  It is said that when Moses asked and who shall I tell them sent me?,

God told him his real highest name but Moses had a speech defect and God knew he couldn't pronounce  it  so God gave him I Am that I Am  or it can also mean "I shall be what I shall be"  Commentaries say that when Moses finally did utter the Name later, the people knew it was a sign of God's power because the sounds were ones that Moses could not normally speak. It is also said that God could have made Moses' speech normal but that there was a purpose
for it and serving with his brother Aaron.

#26    Jor-el

Jor-el

Knight of the Most High God

• 7,686 posts

• We are the sum of all that is, and has been. We will be the sum of our choices.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 15 March 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

Is that how literalists interpret this -- okay.  Interesting.  You don't mention the scholarly view that it comes from somewhat less than perfect combination of stories derived from varying sources.  Progressive revelation seems to be a way to handle all sorts of rough edges.

I am curious, how do scholars who do not believe in the concept of a God, explain God?

Simply put, they don't, they avoid him like the plague and they will use whatever logic they can, to get around God or his existence.

These are the people we credit with knowing the truth?

Posted Image

"Man is not the centre. God does not exist for the sake of man. Man does not exist for his own sake."

-C. S. Lewis

#27    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,236 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

"I am" is one of our first identifying statements. eg. I am paul. I am a boy. I am 2 years old.  etc. It soon becomes " and its all about me."

The basic answer lies in the nature of human psychology and human sapience, where our self identity grows self awareness within an individual and isolated mind. 'The I inside" becomes dominant and supremely imortant to us especially as children and adolescents.
This is why it is used so much in pop culture, and in advertising. Appealing to the I, especially among the young market with a lot of disposable and discretionary  money to spend, is a clever psychological, and very conscious and deliberate, ploy by marketers and advertisers, as well as writers and lyricists for the young.

Edited by Mr Walker, 19 March 2013 - 07:56 AM.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#28    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,045 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:58 AM

View PostJor-el, on 18 March 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

I am curious, how do scholars who do not believe in the concept of a God, explain God?

Simply put, they don't, they avoid him like the plague and they will use whatever logic they can, to get around God or his existence.

These are the people we credit with knowing the truth?
What is there to explain except that human beings are subject to all sorts of delusionary thinking?

#29    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,236 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 19 March 2013 - 07:58 AM, said:

What is there to explain except that human beings are subject to all sorts of delusionary thinking?
So in your opinion, all manifestaions of god are delusionary? Just as one question, why should god be a delusionary experience in a person's life when everything else they experience is quite real? How come they sense and perceive everything else perfectly well at a functional level, but when they encounter god, it is suddenly an unreal and delusionary experience?

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#30    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,342 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

I'm not really a Biblical scholar, but my understanding is that Jehovah comes from Yahweh. The Y became a J through transliteration. The Jews felt that Yahweh was too holy to pronounce, so they changed the vowels from Yahweh to Yehowah, which became Jehovah. Yahweh (or an older version, like Yihyeh or something) means "I am". This is to the best of my understanding anyway. I hope this helps.
eta: So for clarity, when God answered, "I am that I am" (in Hebrew I think it's something like "Yihyeh asher yihyeh") he was saying "Jehovah", it just got corrupted.

Edited by Gummug, 19 March 2013 - 09:49 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users