Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chelsea Manning Faces Solitary Confinement?

Anomalocaris

Chelsea Manning, the US army soldier who leaked classified documents to Wikileaks, is looking at “indefinite” solitary confinement for infractions that include possessing a copy of the Caitlyn Jenner Vanity Fair magazine and using an expired tube of toothpaste.

Former intelligence analyst Manning is serving out a 35-year prison sentence at Fort Leavenworth for espionage and is back in hot water with authorities, according to her lawyer Nancy Hollander.

Chelsea Manning Faces Solitary Confinement For Having A Copy of Vanity Fair

It's hard to believe the government is capable of treating one of its own citizens like this... We're supposed to be the good guys

• Like 1

It's hard to believe the government is capable of treating one of its own citizens like this... We're supposed to be the good guys

The rules may seem cruel but you have to remember that this soldier wasn't sentenced to hotel but to prison. If missing out on a magazine is the worst he has to deal with then he's ahead of the game I'd say.
  • Like 2

While the charges seem a little harsh to me, we don't know all the circumstances. This seems like a "bundle" of issues leading to this.

It seems she may be a pain in the butt to deal with.

I have no problem with this. She got herself put into this situation.

Shall we give her daily foot massages?

She must comply with the rules in place.

We don't know yet how long she'll have to face solitary confinement.

• Like 1

When I was a guest at the county hotel you couldn't have any books/ mags from the "outside". They had two boxes of books that they took around once a week. You could pick one book to keep for the week. Next week you had to turn that book in and could select another book. When I asked them why you couldn't get your friends to bring you books they said that many inmates would have a friend put a drop of acid or another drug on a page or several pages. Now I can't imagine wanting to drop acid in the pokey, but different strokes...

• Like 4

Shall we give her daily foot massages?

She must comply with the rules in place.

We don't know yet how long she'll have to face solitary confinement.

Yeah, I get the difference between prison and a hotel. I'm talking about the broader picture. Chelsea Manning did what she thought was good for this country, that is releasing documents that show the reality of what's really going on over there. What our troops are doing, not doing and shouldn't be doing. I just can't believe this is what happens to whistle-blowers now. Being a whistle-blower used to be a good thing - now it's completely demonized. The Obama administration has worked hard to discourage others from coming forward by making an example of anyone they manage to get their hands on. Snowden was smart to leave the country...

Of course, this depends on your opinion of whistle-blowers.

• Like 2

Yeah, I get the difference between prison and a hotel. I'm talking about the broader picture. Chelsea Manning did what she thought was good for this country, that is releasing documents that show the reality of what's really going on over there. What our troops are doing, not doing and shouldn't be doing. I just can't believe this is what happens to whistle-blowers now. Being a whistle-blower used to be a good thing - now it's completely demonized. The Obama administration has worked hard to discourage others from coming forward by making an example of anyone they manage to get their hands on. Snowden was smart to leave the country...

Of course, this depends on your opinion of whistle-blowers.

The difference between manning and snowden are night and day. Manning copied hundreds of thousands of files with out knowing truly what she was copying. Snowden collected data and knew what he was collecting. Manning released them Inmass to wiki leaks. Snowden released select documents that were very effective.

Manning was a solider who no matter what she thought of the subject personally was subject to military law and justice. She is now enjoying the results of her decision to release hundreds of thousands of classified files to the Internet.

Snowden on the other hand is a civilian who released target documents that exposed corruption in the US government, opened a can of warms that is forcing the U.S. Gov at least on the surface to change its intelligence gathering practices.

Edited by Thanato
  • Like 4

The difference between manning and snowden are night and day. Manning copied hundreds of thousands of files with out knowing truly what she was copying. Snowden collected data and knew what he was collecting. Manning released them Inmass to wiki leaks. Snowden released select documents that were very effective.

Manning was a solider who no matter what she thought of the subject personally was subject to military law and justice. She is now enjoying the results of her decision to release hundreds of thousands of classified files to the Internet.

Snowden on the other hand is a civilian who released target documents that exposed corruption in the US government, opened a can of warms that is forcing the U.S. Gov at least on the surface to change its intelligence gathering practices.

Exactly my point at the time. Soldiers, military members in general, are held to a much different standard. Civilians can debate the "fairness" of it but in an all volunteer force there is zero excuse for such actions. I feel bad for this person, who obviously had/has some serious personal issues but if we applied such a standard to the whole military then it would collapse. There would be no control of information and no discipline. You simply cannot have a military under such conditions.

Exactly my point at the time. Soldiers, military members in general, are held to a much different standard. Civilians can debate the "fairness" of it but in an all volunteer force there is zero excuse for such actions. I feel bad for this person, who obviously had/has some serious personal issues but if we applied such a standard to the whole military then it would collapse. There would be no control of information and no discipline. You simply cannot have a military under such conditions.

Exactly that is why there are such harsh punishments for trivial things. One would not think that assaulting another individual (a general punch) could land to many years in prison. But assaulting an officer is a very serious offence and is different than say hitting an enlisted man.

An expired tube of toothpaste, really? Seems like Manning may be getting "special" treatment.

Nothing new there, suicide watch, random strip searches...

Who'd be a whistleblower?

There is a difference between a whistle blower and someone who leaks hundreds of thousands of classified documents. Had manning selected only a few of the documents that showed the crimes being committed then that would be different, but she decided to release hundreds of thousands of documents that she didn't really know what was on them.

That is why I won't defend Manning but I'll defend Snowden.

• Like 3