Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Retired Lab Chimps See The Sky For First Time

lab chimps chimp haven sanctuary keithville sky

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,298 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

A National Institute of Health report recently recommended retiring most government lab chimps. So what's next for them? Well, over the next year or so more than 100 will go to Chimp Haven, a sanctuary for the animals in Keithville, Louisiana.

This footage shows some of the animals arriving, and seeing the sky, for the first time. Others are shown getting used to real, natural ground.

http://www.popsci.co...irst-time-video

Posted Image

#2    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

We are truly the worst species on this planet... Yet we have it in us to be the best species on this planet. Watching this video shows us what we need to be doing and what we should not be doing.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#3    The Lone Ranger

The Lone Ranger

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

View PostCoffey, on 11 March 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

We are truly the worst species on this planet... Yet we have it in us to be the best species on this planet. Watching this video shows us what we need to be doing and what we should not be doing.

Well spoken.

Life is not a continuum of pleasant choices, but of inevitable problems that call for strength, determination, and hard work  - Indian Proverb

#4    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,719 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

I couldn't have said it better, Coffey. We could do much better for our kindred.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#5    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 11 March 2013 - 11:03 PM, said:

I couldn't have said it better, Coffey. We could do much better for our kindred.

Definitely, completely agree and thanks.

View PostThe Lone Ranger, on 11 March 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

Well spoken.

Thank you.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#6    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:22 AM

I nearly cried watching that.

Posted Image

#7    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:19 AM

This is reaally upseting it makes my blood boil when they do this stuff to these monkeys and apes and other animals.they should use inmates that killed for these lab rats not an ape not a monkey just a lowlife
I cant watch it

Edited by coolguy, 12 March 2013 - 04:21 AM.

#8    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

"The inhumanity of science concerns me, as when I was tempted to kill a rare snake that I may ascertain its species. I feel that this is not the means of acquiring true knowledge."
   -- Henry David Thoreau, Journal (1854)

"Atrocities are not less atrocities when they occur in laboratories and are called medical research."
   -- George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

"Whenever people say, 'We mustn't be sentimental,' you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add, 'We must be realistic,' they mean they are going to make money out of it."
   -- Brigid Brophy (1929 - 1995)

"I abhor vivisection'. I know of no achievement through vivisection, no scientific discovery that could not have been obtained without such barbarism and cruelty."
   -- Charles W. Mayo, MD (1961), son of the co-founder of the Mayo Clinic.

Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is 'Because the animals are like us.' Ask the experimenters why it is morally OK to experiment on animals, and the answer is: 'Because the animals are not like us.' Animal experimentation rests on a logical contradiction."
   -- Professor Charles R. Magel (1980)

#9    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,298 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

View PostQueen in the North, on 12 March 2013 - 12:22 AM, said:

I nearly cried watching that.
I did. Especially when the chimps looked up at the sky, that part got to me the most.

Posted Image

#10    Grey14

Grey14

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

Yes it is true that some of what is done in the name of science can be barbaric and cruel. However without it we would not be at the level of scientific and medical advancement that we are. So you have to ask yourself is the cost worth the price? Would you really be so fast to cast judgement on the human race or animal testing if you had an ailing wife, child, father, or other family member that could be cured or saved from death from a procedure derived from aminal research? Thats the real question. It's easy to say oh we are so bad and cruel and we shouldnt do this, it is easy to say and makes us feel good and look good to others. But if we get sick we go to the doctor or hospital and don't think twice about the medical treatments available to us to make us better.  I'm not saying I like animal testing but I do believe it has benifits and it is a necessary evil.

"The only thing Needed for the Truimph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

#11    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

View PostGrey14, on 12 March 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

I'm not saying I like animal testing but I do believe it has benifits and it is a necessary evil.

What gives us the moral right to perform these experiments on non-consenting animals?

Edited by redhen, 12 March 2013 - 02:20 PM.

#12    Grey14

Grey14

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

View Postredhen, on 12 March 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

What gives us the moral right to perform these experiments on non-consenting animals?

Nothing does didn't say anything about have the right to do it. I just said the overall benefits outwieght the costs (moral or otherwise) of animal testing. Just my opinion.

"The only thing Needed for the Truimph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

#13    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

View PostGrey14, on 12 March 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

Nothing does didn't say anything about have the right to do it. I just said the overall benefits outwieght the costs (moral or otherwise) of animal testing. Just my opinion.

That's the greater good argument. But it implies you can measure and analyze the amount of pain, suffering and death, and weigh that in a scale opposite the "good". It's arbitrary and dubious at best.

#14    Einsteinium

Einsteinium

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

• "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    -Buddha

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

View Postredhen, on 12 March 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

Because we are the most intelligent and most advanced species. That is what gives us the right. Your argument is a logical fallacy. Other animals kill and destroy other animals all the time for food. Tremendous suffering is caused merely in the quest to sustain one's own life. We also do this, but we are advanced enough that we can do it in a much less painful way. We do not need to tear apart an animal with our teeth and let it bleed to death to get our food. We shoot it, spear it, cut its throat- a much less painful way to die by any measure.

So you are stating that animals including us, have the right to kill other animals for food- merely to sustain our own life, but we do not have the right to kill, cause suffering to other animals for- the same reason- to sustain our own life and well being using knowledge gained from animal research? Not only do we benefit from such research, but the animals (not the ones being experimented on) species also benefit by the increased knowledge that we have.

Sure we can be a horrible species, killing and destroying, but do not degrade us for our curiosity, for our reach to make life better. This includes research on animals. And no, if you study medical history you will find that no, we would not know nearly as much as we know now if it were not for the research done on animals. The world is a tough place, we are all fighting for survival, the world is not fair. Stop living in fantasy land and wake up.

#15    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

View PostGrey14, on 12 March 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

Yes it is true that some of what is done in the name of science can be barbaric and cruel. However without it we would not be at the level of scientific and medical advancement that we are. So you have to ask yourself is the cost worth the price? Would you really be so fast to cast judgement on the human race or animal testing if you had an ailing wife, child, father, or other family member that could be cured or saved from death from a procedure derived from aminal research? Thats the real question. It's easy to say oh we are so bad and cruel and we shouldnt do this, it is easy to say and makes us feel good and look good to others. But if we get sick we go to the doctor or hospital and don't think twice about the medical treatments available to us to make us better.  I'm not saying I like animal testing but I do believe it has benifits and it is a necessary evil.
It is awful, and I wish we didn't have to do it.

But how many animal rights activists would actually forego all medical treatment that was developed through animal testing? Not many is my guess.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users