Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are alien probes scouring the galaxy ?

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#61    Macroramphosis

Macroramphosis

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 307 posts

• "The clever men at Oxford
    Know all that there is to be knowed.
    But they none of them know one half as much
    As intelligent Mr. Toad!"

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

I believe there is a plan to build a self-repairing solar sail underway, which will provide a possible form of propulsion for our future probes.  Whilst a great idea, I believe this highlights a problem we are going to have ourselves, as a species,  that the ability to build better spaceships is possibly going to outstrip the ability to develop trans-galactic communication systems, which will ultimately defeat the concept. There is no point in sending stuff across the cosmos if we cannot get anything out of it.

So, we will either have to develop communication relay-stations, or spaceships that come BACK with information, both of which will be a major drain on our current interstellar resources.

To go back to the original discussion though, I think that the other possibility, of motherships capable of supporting a species in its entirety, is a more rewarding way to explore the universe. Once a species has evolved means to both anticipate and deal with the potential hazards of space-travel whilst building and repairing at will, then there is almost no limit to what they are able to do. It's one possible solution, I think.

The other solution is the one we have not yet discovered, thought of, or perhaps never envisaged - the easier way to get around space, whatever that is. :D  Although the human species is currently stuck in the realm of thermo-nuclear physics and various other forms of propulsion, I'm assuming that within another 1000 years we will have other options, many of which no one has yet thought of.

That's assuming we are still here of course. At some stage one race on earth is going to have to pull their weight and become top dog to avoid a complete meltdown of everything on the planet,  and I do not think that is either going to be pretty or leave a lot behind that will be of use to a species.

“You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.”

#62    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,306 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:10 AM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 18 July 2013 - 06:22 AM, said:

Why go to all this expense and trouble sending probes all over the galaxy if they're just dumb receptors of basic biological life?
Maybe for the exact same reasons you listed in your previous post?

The more simple the drone, the less likely there will be errors in reproduction.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#63    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,680 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:11 AM

We have been in the situation where ships were our only means of communication between the mother country and her colonies.  It is for this very reason that the bttle of new orleans took place, six weeks after the war was over.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#64    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,578 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:40 AM

DieChecker said:

The more simple the drone, the less likely there will be errors in reproduction.

Good point.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#65    shrooma

shrooma

Incorrigible Rogue.

• 3,162 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:54 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 17 July 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

The thing is, there isn't going to be just one of them out there -- there are going to be thousands if not millions of them -- and they are going to each be different.  Where are they?  Something just doesn't add up.
welcome to the world of the Fermi Paradox Frank.....

sometimes, your signature is worth nothing at all.

#66    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 10,964 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

View Postshrooma, on 20 July 2013 - 03:54 AM, said:

welcome to the world of the Fermi Paradox Frank.....

Honestly, I personally don't see much of a paradox in the Fermi paradox :-)

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#67    Razer

Razer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:13 AM

If an alien civilization did create self replicating probes I sure hope they didn't give them the ability to make self improvements.  It is not hard to imagine that going horribly wrong if those probes became self aware and decided that biological life posses a threat to their existence. :no:

When you throw in the exponential growth factor, it would not be long before they became stronger, smarter and faster than anything we can imagine or have any hope of defending ourselves against.

Edited by Razer, 20 July 2013 - 09:15 AM.

#68    shrooma

shrooma

Incorrigible Rogue.

• 3,162 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

View Postbadeskov, on 20 July 2013 - 08:37 AM, said:

Honestly, I personally don't see much of a paradox in the Fermi paradox :-)

Cheers,
Badeskov
true Badeskov, it's more of an immediate inference than a paradox,
as it only references its own answer rather than attacking it, but i guess "that thing that Fermi bloke said about aliens" didn't have the same ring to it!
:-)

sometimes, your signature is worth nothing at all.

#69    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,680 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 20 July 2013 - 01:10 AM, said:

I think if you sent probes out into space, you would want them to evolve for new situations Unknown facters.  Self programing drones.

There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#70    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,578 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

danielost said:

think if you sent probes out into space, you would want them to evolve for new situations Unknown facters.  Self programing drones.

This could be a good idea, too. Wouldn't whoever sent out the drones want to gather as much information as possible about a distant planet's biology? That biology may be of an unexpected order, and the drone may have to alter its expectations of what it considers life to be.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#71    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,306 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:02 PM

The way I see it.... We can barely detect a quarter mile asteroid flying by, much less some silent, small alien probe that might be watching us with superior optics.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#72    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,306 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

View Postdanielost, on 20 July 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

I think if you sent probes out into space, you would want them to evolve for new situations Unknown facters.  Self programing drones.

If there is a system that is so harsh it destroys the drone, it is probably too harsh for colonization anyway, and thus mostly useless. I'd keep a drone simple. I'd even use very primitive technology, the bare minimum, as I'd not like good technology to fall into the hands of anyone out there who happened to capture it.

#73    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,680 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

Or give it selfdestruct option if it is picked up. The five drones that we have leaving the system has out of date tech on them.  New horizen has the most advanced tech on it.  The other four have traveling since the seventies.

#74    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

Ask almost any astrophysicist you might happen to find walking down the street and the first you will hear from them is, "Fermi's Paradox."  (If you want a real expert you will need an exobiologist, but as these are getting rare they can nowadays and be found only with difficulty on campus).  

The whole idea is now pretty much rejected except among a few die-hards that have forgotten the first rule of the Scientific Method (check the literature) and the idea of all the visitors is pretty much laughed at now in academic circles and we are close to alone out there and that the universe is ours for the taking.

Sorry, it seems much less exciting at first but in the long run it will make for a far more interesting universe to see how we evolve, and maybe we will run into a few others that we can learn from and cooperate with.

Edited by Frank Merton, 21 July 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#75    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,680 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

Or as the traveler on next generation said, we aee just not interesting.  Also in first contact,the vulcans only stopped by because of the warp test, ie our tech was good enough to interest them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users