Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Arab Internment Camps?

fearfulone

BY NIRAJ WARIKOO

Knight Ridder News Service

DETROIT - A member of the U.S. Civil Rights Commission said Friday that he could foresee a scenario in which the public would demand internment camps for Arab Americans if Arab terrorists strike again in this country.

If there's a future terrorist attack in America ''and they come from the same ethnic group that attacked the World Trade Center, you can forget about civil rights,'' commission member Peter Kirsanow said.

The reason, he said, is that ``the public would be less concerned about any perceived erosion of civil liberties than they are about protecting their own lives.''

Kirsanow, who was appointed to the commission last year by President Bush, said that he personally doesn't support internment camps and the government would never envision setting them up. He said he was merely saying public opinion would so strongly favor the idea that it would be difficult to prevent. There would be a ''groundswell of opinion'' for such detentions, he said.

The remarks came during a raucous commission hearing in Detroit in which Kirsanow and another conservative member, Jennifer Braceras, defended U.S. antiterrorism efforts after Sept. 11.

''They had their own political agenda,'' said Kary Moss, executive director of the Michigan chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, referring to Braceras and Kirsanow.

A White House spokesman said Friday night that he could not respond specifically to Kirsanow's comments without seeing a full transcript of them, but said that the possibility of Arab internment camps has never been discussed at the White House.

''The president has said repeatedly and often that this is not a war against Arabs or Islam, this is a war against terror,'' White House spokesman Scott Stanzel said. ``We have very close allies in the Arab world who are integral partners in the war against terrorism. . . . The president has said that ours is a war against evil and extremists and that the teachings of Islam are the teachings of peace and good.''

The seven-member commission, based in Washington, D.C., was in Detroit for its monthly meeting, and heard testimony from Arab-American leaders who said the government abused civil rights following Sept. 11.

''It's becoming really ugly,'' said Imad Hamad, regional director of the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee, during his testimony.

Hamad and others expressed concern about mass interviews of Arab men, secret immigration hearings and profiling of drivers and airplane passengers.

Kirsanow argued that Arab and Muslim Americans should accept the country's new antiterrorism laws and complain less about infringements upon their civil rights.

If the United States were to be be attacked again by Arabs, ''not too many people will be crying in their beer if there are more detentions, more stops, more profiling,'' Kirsanow asserted.

Source

I dunno....i don't think America would do that again like we did to the Japanese during ww2...i think we've learned from that...what does everyone else think?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fearfulone

• Seraphina

• wunarmdscissor

• snog44

he public would be less concerned about any perceived erosion of civil liberties than they are about protecting their own lives.

Well yes most would, self presevation and all that.

And some people probably would ask for the camps, although I can see most of them wearing swatzstikas and white pointed hats so I cant see it happening.

white pointed hats

hmm...u've got two men in black pointed hats at the bottom of your signature blink.gif

tongue.gif

wink2.gif

i can see hapening...USA made it once, and whit the fear and paranoia present in USA, that can be a reality...not tomorrow, but in a few years if another muslim terrorist attack happens in USA.

whit the fear and paranoia present in USA

u are in Argentina correct? How are you aware of any fear and paranoia in the US? I don't think we're paranoid of Muslim-americans, but paranoid of another attack...i dont think this will force us to put Muslims in prison camps...you comment an awful lot on America...have u ever even been here?

Happened in WW2...

Happened in WW2...

Yes, but if you read other posts...times have changed and we have learned from those past mistakes.. disgust.gif

I dunno....i don't think America would do that again like we did to the Japanese during ww2...i think we've learned from that...what does everyone else think?

I know ull be surprised by this response considering i seem to be renowned for being a leftist pacisifist ...which im not tongue.gif

You cannot criticise america for putting their japanese population into internment during WW2.

It saved hundreds of thousands of american lifes, which in my book was worth it.

PLus thee info i have seen on the camps states that whilst conditions were far from perfect they were still a millions miles away from the prisoner of war camps.

The japanese immigrant population on a massive scales was activley commiting acts of espionage that was severley affecting our war effort.

The japanese were still fiercly patriotic and internment was neccesary.

We were however at war with the japanese nation , we arent at war with Arabs and therefore to send them to internement camps would be no better than what the nazis did to the jews.

We were however at war with the japanese nation , we arent at war with Arabs and therefore to send them to internement camps would be no better than what the nazis did to the jews.

This may be a complete shocker to you w00t.gif ...but i do agree with you...great point thumbsup.gif

Happened in WW2... 

Yes, but if you read other posts...times have changed and we have learned from those past mistakes..

I would love to believe we learnt anything from WW2. But sadly institutionalised racism still exists all over the world, just under different flags and symbols, not under the swatika anymore.

BTW, the Americans only incarcerated the Japanese, but not the German or Italian Americans. possibly because they werent caucasian?

BTW, the Americans only incarcerated the Japanese, but not the German or Italian Americans. possibly because they werent caucasian?

NO thats not true.

It was because the japanese already had a cast system in existence which was already difficult to penetrate, they lived together in large numbers and the espionage system was far more well organised on much largere than the germans an italians had. I cant remember the name of the organisation i think it was something like the order of the black widow or something, whatever it was it was massive and it was having a massive effect on the US war effort.

Lets not forget that it was a japanese spy whom had settled in america previously ,who gave away the stategic postitions of every ship in pearl harbour.

Thats just how good their spy network was. It had to be stopped.

They werent interened for purely racial reasons.

I do agree though institutional racism an bigotry is still a massive problem.

I wasn't alive during WW2, and have really never heard any reference to Japanese-Americans working to subvert the U.S. war effort. Had they not been interned, there likleywould have been cases of Japanese expatraites acting out against the U.S. government, the only question being to what extent, and whether or not these actions would have the support of the greater Japanese expatriate population.

We know beyond the shadow of a doubt that there are countless Islamists in the U.S. who support bin-Laden, Hamas, Hezbollah, and any other group you may wish to name. King Faud (I think it was King Faud anyway)

said after 9/11 that without the U.S., Islamists would not recieve the kind of support they currently do, and he's absolutley right. We won't stop, or even question the motives of any organizations that may sponsor terrorism becuase it's considered racist or ethnocentric. This gets a lot of organizations of scott-free.

In Great Britiain and Scandanavia, the problem with muslim immigrants is even greater. Despite moving to predominantly Christian countries, they by and large refuse to assimilate. The liberal governments, not wanting to be seen as anti-muslim, refuse to take action. This was illustrated recently when a Muslim man in the netherlands sexually assaulted a woman wearing skimpy clothing. His argument was that it was her fault for having dressed in such a manner. Evidently, the courts felt the same and didn't prosecute the case. Britain is becoming more and more a hotbed of Islamist activity, and can only hope that the Brits soon wake up and realize what a problem this is.

There are moderate muslims out there, but until they start working with local governments inside thier respective countries. when I was in college, soon after 9/11, there was the head of a local mosque on one of the talk radio stations. When asked if he supported al-queda terrorists his response was (in perfect english) "no, absolutley not." when asked if he would fight against said islamists, his answer was again "no." when asked why, the man replied that as a muslim, it was not possible for him to attack a fellow muslim. It was against the Koran for a mulsim to kill a muslim unless that muslim was killing muslims. You can't take up arms gainst someone who is doing no more than killing infidels.

So in short, I think it may become necassary to lock them all up in arizona or new mexico. I'm not sure we'd have any other choice other than to capitulate completely, which I'm not willing to do.

The Japanese were also the only ones thrown into the internment camps because they were on the west coast (if you notice, most of those put in the camps were from the west coast), they were considered a threat for a 'land invasion' since Japan had gotten to Pearl Harbor they figured they could come to California... whistling2.gif

In Great Britiain and Scandanavia, the problem with muslim immigrants is even greater. Despite moving to predominantly Christian countries, they by and large refuse to assimilate.

Could explain that further please?

when it comes to staying safe i would be willing to allow the constitution to go out the window.

I dont think i would support internment camps but i would at least support deporting all non American born arabs out of the nation...it may sound cruel or even racist but when it comes to my saftey or the nations saftey i dont honestly care how others are treated so long as my way of life is preserved and a little inconvienience must be endured.

I think we would all like to think that we have learned more since WW2, but we will see when it actually comes down to it how people feel...i for one want maximum penalty against any nation or group that attacks our soil again even it it means Nuclear Retaliation or even biological and chemical.

when it comes to staying safe i would be willing to allow the constitution to go out the window.

it's people like you who are willing to give up your guns to the gov't, your freedom of speech to people like hitler, and your right to due process to people like the mexican govt...

i would at least support deporting all non American born arabs out of the nation

were you born here? i bet you were...see, i'm an imigrant to the country...a citizen now, but i was not born here...i've been a hard worker for 5 yrs now, contributing to the economy of this country...putting money back into the country... voting for our leaders and politicians...i'm not arab, but i find this remark very offensive to all immigrants that are here legally. disgust.gif

when it comes to my saftey or the nations saftey i dont honestly care how others are treated so long as my way of life is preserved

you a self centered care about you type of person eh?

Leave the man alone... hes being patriotic.. for the good of the country!

PATRIOTISM, n. 1) The inability to distinguish between the government and one's "country"; 2) A highly praiseworthy virtue characterized by the desire to dominate and kill; 3) A feeling of exultation experienced when contemplating heaps of charred "enemy" corpses; 4) The first, last, and perennial refuge of scoundrels.

PATRIOT, n. A dangerous tool of the powers that be. A herd member who compensates for lack of self-respect by indentifying with an abstraction. An enemy of individual freedom. A fancier of the rich, satisfying flavor of boot leather.

------------The nazis were patriotic to you know.

Edited by Student&Alive

how is he being patriotic by suggesting we throw out all that helps this country be patriotic?

I am probably the most patriotic person in this country...i love this country, i'm not even born in this country, but i would die for this country...so dont talk to me bout patriotism...this guy is not being patriotic by suggesting we THROW OUT THE CONSTITUTION?! whistling2.gif

whit the fear and paranoia present in USA

u are in Argentina correct? How are you aware of any fear and paranoia in the US? I don't think we're paranoid of Muslim-americans, but paranoid of another attack...i dont think this will force us to put Muslims in prison camps...you comment an awful lot on America...have u ever even been here?

yes fearfull one...i visited USA some years ago and have some friends in the country studing and working (USa univ and corps looks for university graduates here in argentina). I have mail and msn conversations whit then, and i have seen the discrimination against anithing non "american" (be arabs, latino, mexican, chinese, etc),and my friends teel me about the paranoia in the people.....one of this friends, Lautaro, is half sirian (his father born in Siria) and look very arab. He was threatened buy some idiots and other fear him because he looks arab.

"Could explain that further please?"-Bleeding Heart

Bleeding heart,

There are several ways we could do this. You can either do a search indexing "Netherlands" and "Islamism" and you will get lots of hit's. I was going to try and find a couple of articles and link them directly, but in doing so found even more than I was looking for. You might be more interested in looking for yourself, and the media available online goes into a lot more detail than I really ever could. If you would like specific articles, let me know and I'll see if I can find the ones I was looking for originally.

There is a book called "Holy war, Inc." which details the Al-Queda movement form the Soviet-Afghan war up to the time of its's publication in late 2001. It it the author goes into some detail about the role London-based islamsist have in the Al-Queda oragnization. Here is a link to the book @ Amazon"

Holy War, Inc

Here is another quick link to Islamist activity in Great Britain"

Radical Islam finds unlikely haven in liberal Britain.

I'm sure there are lots of people who actually live in Great Britain who actually have a dierct opinion on this matter, maybe they'll chime in. My information comes from academic, news, and editorial sources, which may or may not be objetcive, but certain less pertinent that someone who lives within that enivironment.

Hope I've Helped

In Great Britiain and Scandanavia, the problem with muslim immigrants is even greater. Despite moving to predominantly Christian countries, they by and large refuse to assimilate.

Could explain that further please?

I was alredy aware of the issues in the link you provided what I wanted to know is to what level would you like muslim immigrants to assimilate into the Christian countries, your personal opinion. Like I believe immigrants to the UK should learn the English language.

Edited by <bleeding_heart>

I was alredy aware of the issues in the link you provided what I wanted to know is to what level would you like muslim immigrants to assimilate into the Christian countries, your personal opinion. Like I believe immigrants to the UK should learn the English language.

Well, that's a subjective question, and I'm not sure my views are much better than anybody else's. As for the level of assimilation, that should be a constant regardless of the nationality of the immigrants in question. Here's my take as it specifically concerns muslims, and especially the more radical ones.

we live in a society that by-and-large appreciates diversity. We have racists and bigots sure, but how many people do you know in this day and age who would hold against someone else the food they eat, the clothes the wear, thier choice of religion, etc? In the fundmentalist communities, there is little regard for the diversity of the host countries. IN the Netherlands, more and more children are being educated according to fundamental beleifs which may not reflect the beliefs of civil society. So, should the taxpayers still be made to fund these schools. If they do, aren't the taxpayers right in asking for some level of control over the curriculum. The Taliban was more interested in creating a strong knowledge of Wahabi Islam than it was in creating doctors or scientists. Theologians are among the least necassary members of society when it comes to maintaining a viable economy.

It is never a bad thing to remember your roots, but the mood of the conservative islamic immigrants seems to indicate more that they are there to bring Islam to the Netherlands than to take advantage of the opportunities it offers. It makes me think they are there to puch an Islamic agenda, and do what they can to spread Islam through that area.

I could be wrong, and would sure like to be. We had a strong Greek population in the town I went to college in, and they really had no desire to assimilate into the rest of society. They had thier own schools, clubs, churches, health providers, etc. Still I don't think they were trying to replace the existsing culture with thier own.

The Japanese were also the only ones thrown into the internment camps because they were on the west coast (if you notice, most of those put in the camps were from the west coast), they were considered a threat for a 'land invasion' since Japan had gotten to Pearl Harbor they figured they could come to California...

Jan 13, 1942 - Germans begin a U-boat offensive along east coast of USA.

So, if the Japanese Americans were discriminated against because they seemed to 'keep themselves to themselves', and Arabic immigrants today also seem reticent to integrate. I think the following quote concerning another minority group should be taken into consideration:

...Jewry is a people with a racial core that is not wholly unitary. Nevertheless as a people it has special intrinsic characteristics which separate it from all other peoples living on the globe. Jewry is not a religious community but the religious bond between Jews rather is in reality the momentary governmental system of the Jewish people.

(Extract From Hitler's Zweites Buch)

Perhaps making Arabs wear yellow crescent moon badges would help the situation.

I stand by my earlier statement:

I would love to believe we learnt anything from WW2.
Edited by mowo