Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Honest question to atheists

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#31    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostHasina, on 06 February 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

Depends on the religion and how you interpret the holy texts.
my religion: no religion! but as far as i understand christianity, you cannot pick the raisins (heaven) without having to accept hell as well....innit?

#32    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

View PostJacques Terreur, on 06 February 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

my religion: no religion! but as far as i understand christianity, you cannot pick the raisins (heaven) without having to accept hell as well....innit?
Russian orthodox has a Saint who will come to the recently deceased, preach the Gospel, and then allow the recently deceased to accept Christ and go on to Heaven. Yes, you must accept there is a Hell in Christianity but it differs by sect. Some don't think Satan rules over Hell, others think he does even though there's no evidence for it in the Bible, while others even think that you'll only spend time in Hell, because God's eternal love wouldn't allow for eternal damnation.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#33    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,715 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

An afterlife dosnt have to be stareing at gods ankles. It could be like a game that you get to respon in differ t circumstances, fail then try again, different maps different worlds, everytime returning to your higher self and sying "that was awesome I'll do that Map again" or "that sucked what's the next world like?"

It be fun. As long as I can forget then remember again, I'd have a blast for eternity.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#34    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

• let thy insanity keep thee sane, but if that doesn't work then go fishing... I need to go fishing real Real bad!.. catch a big one

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

yes i have wished   for an afterlife often,  But not for me
  I wish for an after life because i  wish there was someplace for all my basset hounds who have returned to the earth.
i have wished for an after life  because maybe if there was one, Just maybe, there would be a reason for my misery other than a sadistic deity's pleasure.
and just because i refuse to believe in one of the sadistic  deities worshiped by mankind doesn't mean i am totally against some other form of afterlife.

#35    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

As a kid I remember being told that I can have all the chocolate and candy  I wanted in heaven..God will have a candy treat room all for me.. I believed it and thought - Whoohooo can't wait to get there YUM YUM
I was like Homer Simpson, dreaming about being in a land of chocolate la la la tra la la  la la  ........ Although, it would suck if heaven didn't have chocolate, and I think many women would agree lol

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#36    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

To have an afterlife you first need a soul.
But do you get an opportunity to bypass heaven and hell when you require it?
If you do you might have to get used to a completely new identity.
I like to compare it to amnesia in a witness protection programme.
Except you havn't got a FBI agent sorting out your documents in your new name.
So why look forward to an afterlife when you don't even know your experiencing it.
That's how I would approach it from an atheist angle but then there's this...
When these people report seeing a blinding light at the end of the tunnel it might not be heaven.
Who's to say it's not a metaphor for entering the womb.
And this blinding light is essentially the soul your perceiving.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#37    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,487 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 06 February 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

Where did you get that idea?  I want to be Bodhisattva.  Look it up -- all eternity helping people find the way.

Find the "way"? What "way"? Your way? Some religions version of the "right" way? No way....I do not relish forcing others to conform to an arbitrary path of "right" living or whatever.

#38    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,321 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

View PostRyu, on 06 February 2013 - 10:30 PM, said:

Find the "way"? What "way"? Your way? Some religions version of the "right" way? No way....I do not relish forcing others to conform to an arbitrary path of "right" living or whatever.

I think he meant help a person find thier way. People as well as spirits have helped me find my way and im very appreciative of that. I agree with frank I want to help people find thier way.. I would love that job. Its not as bad as you make it sound Ryu.. say you were very miserable, you hated everything, you were constantly fighting and found your self in situation after situation that led to terrible relationships, you felt bad about yourself, you were affecting people negatively and you had know clue what was going on until a supernatural force came over you and gave you this emence feeling of love and clarity of mind.. after that you discover what the meaning of life is and you start enjoying life in a brand new way.. things are no longer dangerous, disasterous or full of spite and it was all because of this new understanding and change in your mind.. I think its cool..

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#39    spikeman25

spikeman25

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

View Postfreetoroam, on 06 February 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

Whats this got to do with atheists?
I follow no religions, do not believe in god and most certainly would never follow novels like the bible or koran, but afterlife? yes sort of, but only in the form that your genes are based through to the next generation, so part of you does live on. As for ghosts, i have already said before, I believe these are imprints of time.

i would like to know why people ask atheists? I understand today that an atheist is someone who believes in god, but not yours, an agnostic does not believe but is open to proof, an ignostic is someone who will not believe, ever, no way.

so does no one think to ask the ignostic these questions?
You've got it backwards . Atheists don't believe in ANY god , Not just the god of the bible or Koran.  Agnostics are usually on the fence about the existence of a god but aren't quite sure what to believe .

#40    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

• WRATH

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:16 AM

If it meant I could explore other galaxies with ease and know the secrets of life, bring it on.

If it's one of those boring ones wherein we all praise a god for eternity then no. That and I can't see how eternity would work out, how would you not get bored or sick of the sight of people?

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#41    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:44 AM

View PostEmma_Acid, on 06 February 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

The fact that this life is all we've got is what gives it its value.

Funny, I found the fact that this life is temporary to be the very reason why it has no value.

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#42    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:36 AM

View PostHasina, on 06 February 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

Russian orthodox has a Saint who will come to the recently deceased, preach the Gospel, and then allow the recently deceased to accept Christ and go on to Heaven. Yes, you must accept there is a Hell in Christianity but it differs by sect. Some don't think Satan rules over Hell, others think he does even though there's no evidence for it in the Bible, while others even think that you'll only spend time in Hell, because God's eternal love wouldn't allow for eternal damnation.
in the middle ages, people believed that headache is caused by bad spirits and the best cure is to open the skull, so the spirits can exit.....funny what people can believe in....

#43    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:43 AM

You are right; there are many ways.  "The" way refers to the way that is easiest for the person involved.  I would encourage you to look up the word "Bodhisattva" to help you understand.

#44    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,824 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:54 AM

Yes I do. I'm not comfortable with the idea that makes a conscious person will degrade to non-consciousness at brain death.

#45    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:06 AM

View PostRyu, on 06 February 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

So it basically boils down to the same mind numbing existence. Sit around and stare at gods for all eternity, praising and worshiping them. That is just as hideous of an existence as the Christian version

That is not the Buddhist concept at all. What are you talking about?

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users