Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

The Sphinx head - Is it the original?

sphinx egyptology egyptian sphinx egypt schoch

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#16    Nefer-Ankhe

Nefer-Ankhe

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 165 posts

• "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:58 AM

This documentary has a large portion about the Sphinx's head and it's true identity. Maybe of interest to some.

*snip*

I believe that the theory, that the Sphinx's head, had been something different entirely (whether it have been Lion or Jackal), is rather well adjusted too.

Edited by Saru, 12 May 2013 - 09:54 AM.
Removed copyrighted video

"It is of course the height of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers."

--- from Amarna Sunset, Aidan Dodson.

#17    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,864 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:44 AM

View Postaquatus1, on 12 May 2013 - 12:08 AM, said:

Personally, I've always been of the belief that the head was carved after the body itself was buried, possibly by carvers who were not even aware there was a body to begin with.

You know, I remember watching some special or other (so long ago I don't even remember what channel) that suggested almost the opposite. They thought the head was much older than the rest of it. As I recall, much of the rest of it is actually rebuilt/restored several times in the historical era. It went on to speculate the head was an outcropping of rock above ground, carved several millennia BCE, and possibly re-shaped, and the rest of the area was dug out later, allowing the sphinx-y bits to be carved in a different style and proportion than the head.

But since I don't remember who produced the video (seems like /maybe/ it was PBS or something actually respectable), I wouldn't put much faith in any info it conveyed.

And I think it's obvious the original head was carved in the shape of an Immense Basset Hound, magnificent in its drool and stinkinesses.

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#18    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,716 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:12 AM

View Postlightly, on 11 May 2013 - 11:47 PM, said:

I was just agreeing with you DieChecker .. and showing the added cement at the neck area in support of your idea of that area being weak.
  Your reasoning  seems ... reasonable.
Ohh.... I see now. Thanks!! :tu:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#19    Sheep Smart

Sheep Smart

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

• Im so happy I bleed it.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:42 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 11 May 2013 - 07:17 AM, said:

Personnally, I think it was originally intended to be something else. Maybe a jackel or a lion, or a larger pharonic head.

Looking at modern pics of the head, it can be seen that the face and head in general are in quite good shape, but the neck and chest have heavy erosion damage. I think the AE would have noticed this and sculpted accordingly, and thus a small head.
Well if it were something else prior to the Egyptian s coming along and resculpting it, that may reason the case for alot of eroding, or carving away at the upper regions.

Other life in the universe?, you dare to imply there are entities possibly far greater than us almighty humans, creators of canned ham and reality tv. Nonsense. Absurd.

The reality that stupidy exists in abundance doesnt bother me. Its the fact that theres still no cure.

#20    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,484 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:55 AM

View Postjaylemurph, on 12 May 2013 - 03:44 AM, said:

You know, I remember watching some special or other (so long ago I don't even remember what channel) that suggested almost the opposite. They thought the head was much older than the rest of it. As I recall, much of the rest of it is actually rebuilt/restored several times in the historical era. It went on to speculate the head was an outcropping of rock above ground, carved several millennia BCE, and possibly re-shaped, and the rest of the area was dug out later, allowing the sphinx-y bits to be carved in a different style and proportion than the head.

Hee hee!  I remember a special which claimed the Sphynx enclosure was one of the original quarry sites for pyramid stone, but when they found the layer of soft limestone rendering it useless, they abandoned it and later on someone decided to take advantage of the outcropping and dug out area to make the Sphynx.

One of the fun things about theories is that one can be valid, while still not being correct, all could be valid, or none could be!  The only thing we know for sure is that the Sphynx enclosure came after the building of the pyramids.

And I think it's obvious the original head was carved in the shape of an Immense Basset Hound, magnificent in its drool and stinkinesses.

I honestly feel that this theory hasn't received the attention it merits.

It certainly rates more validity than the lion statue theory; when your argument is that a reclining lion fits perfectly superimposed on the Sphynx's body (as long as we scale up the lion body to swallow up the entire Sphynx), you need to reconsider the foundation of your theory a little bit more.

#21    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 11 May 2013 - 05:36 AM, said:

Whose legacy?

I wish I know the answer, but I dont. Neither West. But its obvious that so far we dont know origin of it.
Also it might have something with appearence of newcommers in Egypt.
It might happened that cca 50 to 1000 humans ,advanced then settlers, came in Egypt.

Egyptologists (atleast half of them) think that new people that came in Egypt introduce mace as new weapon. Mace is crucial to this story.

I think that those new people who introduce mace to Egypt might bring hieroglyphs as well.

Apperance of mace and hieroglyphs were cca around same time.

Edited by the L, 12 May 2013 - 10:14 AM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#22    s33ker

s33ker

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• Believe anything until proven otherwise, otherwise believe nothing until proven.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

Seen a doco that claimed it was left over quarry rock as well, and that it's only function was decorative. The quarry was flooded and the sphynx stood in the middle of the water , to tidy up the build site after completion. They found channels leading to it , and there's water mark around it and the quarry. That's why it's positioned like it is ,slightly off line .

#23    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 3,656 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

Well heres what I think:):) Djedefre Khufu `s son  built the Sphinx for his wife or mother,  but when Krufu died Khafra his brother had it made in his image. To me the Sphinx looks more feminine.

The frist known Sphinx made in Egypt was of Diedefe`s wife.

Posted Image

#24    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,734 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

View Postjaylemurph, on 12 May 2013 - 03:44 AM, said:

--Jaylemurph

Now that Aquatus 1 pointed out in a quote, i should state that this is highly improbable since them bassets always lie down with their long sloppy ears and drooling. never do they sit erect. So, the sphinx could have never been a Basset hound. But, a Doberman Pinscher or a Great Dane or any other Hounds, it could have been a probability.

Edited by The_Spartan, 12 May 2013 - 01:32 PM.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#25    Nefer-Ankhe

Nefer-Ankhe

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 165 posts

• "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

View PostNefer-Ankhe, on 12 May 2013 - 12:58 AM, said:

This documentary has a large portion about the Sphinx's head and it's true identity. Maybe of interest to some.

*snip*

I believe that the theory, that the Sphinx's head, had been something different entirely (whether it have been Lion or Jackal), is rather well adjusted too.

:o why!?

"It is of course the height of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers."

--- from Amarna Sunset, Aidan Dodson.

#26    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

I think the Sphinx is far older than the pyramids and the head was recarved.  All the other statues the heads seem to be in proportion to the body but not the Sphinx.  The Sphinx also seems to have water damage which enforces my belief that it is older than the pyramids.

Wish they would allow someone to investigate what, if anything, is under the Sphinx.

#27    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,734 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

View PostNefer-Ankhe, on 12 May 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

:o why!?

Maybe some one put a copyright complaint on the video, even if you had just embedded it from youtube.
You can check on youtube if the said video is still available or not. I guess, that too would have been removed.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#28    Purifier

Purifier

Δ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostSheep Smart, on 07 May 2013 - 03:33 AM, said:

Why is the head of the Sphinx head disproportionate with its body?

The paws are 50 feet long (15m) while the entire length is 150 feet (45m).The head is 30 (10m) feet long and 14 feet (4m) wide. It is 200 feet long and 65 feet high. The head is noticably out of proportion in context with the body.   

Posted Image

what it may have once looked like:
Posted Image

I believe this particular debate gets intertwined in other threads within everything Egypt so it stands to reason that I separate it.

I TEND TO AGREE WITH SCHOCH ON THIS ONE.  http://www.robertsch...inxcontent.html

*Snip*

Say what?! Why that's just preposterous, Sheep Smart!

No way!

No way that It couldv'e have looked something like this before the days of Khufu......
Posted Image

or something like this.....

Posted Image

or even something like this, either....

Posted Image

http://www.atlantisq...redynastic.html

No way, no how!

You should just stick with Academic opinions and their current hypothesis, while ignoring fringe proponents like West and Schoch. Let's not think outside the box and propose wild hypothesis as they have done, despite their expertise. They're just trying to sell books and make a name for themselves. Just stick with the current academic mainstream hypothesis, in which Djedefre carved the sphinx in the image of his father Khufu, until they say otherwise.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#29    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,864 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

View PostThe_Spartan, on 12 May 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

Now that Aquatus 1 pointed out in a quote, i should state that this is highly improbable since them bassets always lie down with their long sloppy ears and drooling. never do they sit erect. So, the sphinx could have never been a Basset hound. But, a Doberman Pinscher or a Great Dane or any other Hounds, it could have been a probability.

That's actually very true. Basset hounds never sit up with they can lie down. It's part of their advanced green, energy-saving technology. Like the 19 hours of napping a day. And not all inherent laziness. (Although to be fair, Guy, my current basset, like to lie on his back with his paws up in the air. It's still lying down, though. I'm afraid his solar panels were improperly placed.)

--Jaylemurph

Edited by jaylemurph, 12 May 2013 - 06:08 PM.

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#30    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,178 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

View Postthe L, on 12 May 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

I think that those new people who introduce mace to Egypt might bring hieroglyphs as well.

Apperance of mace and hieroglyphs were cca around same time.
It's pretty much a certainty that hieroglyphic writing developed right there in Egypt.

Ancient examples of early proto-writing there have been found on wood and ivory inventory tags made in predynastic times to label tax payments/tribute booty.

These early forms can be seen evolving over time into the earlier hieroglyphic forms.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

Also tagged with sphinx, egyptology, egyptian sphinx, egypt, schoch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users