Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Hundreds of Thousands protest in Egypt

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#16    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,673 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

Well now that Spring has come and gone for them - is it the Summer of their discontent, or ... is winter coming?

It seems that every move the people of the middle east make to liberate themselves some radical islamist group jumps in to fill the void and everything ends up twice as bad as it was before - it's like a melting pot of religiously zealous insanity.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#17    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 01 July 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

Well now that Spring has come and gone for them - is it the Summer of their discontent, or ... is winter coming?

It seems that every move the people of the middle east make to liberate themselves some radical islamist group jumps in to fill the void and everything ends up twice as bad as it was before - it's like a melting pot of religiously zealous insanity.
I have to agree with that.  People including women work hard and take chances protesting to make life better for themselves and the radicals come in and make things worse.  Morsi needs to grow a pair and out the radicals or get out himself.

#18    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,671 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

I think Mursi will do whatever it takes to stay in power - unlike Mubarak.  And why not?  Obama seems to have his back...

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#19    meryt-tetisheri

meryt-tetisheri

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 01 July 2013 - 03:57 AM, said:

It is not hard to get a large number of people into the street if the city involved is large enough, so the size of the crowd doesn't mean much.  A new election would probably put the Muslim Brotherhood back in power.  This is a problem with democracy -- it is capable of imposing what is called "A tyranny of the majority."

May be it is not hard to gather a few thousand demonstrators in a city as large as Cairo, but to gather millions of demonstrators nationwide?  Explosive devices were thrown in the midst of demonstrators in Port Said, live ammo is being used in Fayyoum, Assiut, Mansoura, Tanta...some hospitals are closed, there are not enough doctors to treat the wounded in many others; there is an acute shortage of blood in most hospitals yet Egyptians continue to flood the streets. People do not risk their lives for a 'day out in town'. The anger is genuine and the demonstrations are spontaneous. Tamarod/ Rebel called for demonstrations on a certain date and the people willingly responded because they reject both Mursi and the MB, in other words, the people have spoken.

As for your other comments about the presidential elections, you may consider the present demonstrations as people 'voting with their feet'. The last elections were fraudulent and there are several court cases investigating them but the process was stalled because the minister of Justice, the prosecutor general are MB stooges. The electoral lists were forged, with names of voters appearing on several lists ( in one case 625 times!), many ballots were pre-marked, 'vanishing ink' was used in some districts, election boxes were replaced in others, some boxes even had neatly stacked ballot cards! There is another factor which affect the results was the "lemon squeezers": those who were not for Mursi yet voted for him because the only other alternative, Shafik, was in their opinion worse ( it is a custom in Egypt to squeeze lemon juice on something nauseating that one is forced to swallow).  If 13 million voted for Mursi, 22 million signed a petition demanding his impeachment, between 14 million (according to army sources) and 33 million ( I cannot verify this number) are demonstrating against him now.

It would require nothing short of a miracle for the MB or any other Islamist party to solely govern Egypt for a long time to come

#20    meryt-tetisheri

meryt-tetisheri

Psychic Spy

• 1,228 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

View Postand then, on 01 July 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

I think Mursi will do whatever it takes to stay in power - unlike Mubarak.  And why not?  Obama seems to have his back...

It is likely that the old sectarian card will be used again. There are pamphlets circulating in Upper Egypt threatening Copts that their children, homes and businesses will be burnt down if they participate in the demonstrations. There are also rumors that both mosques and churches might be attacked to ignite a sectarian diversion. So far this is not working.

#21    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

Things turned violent last night and 8 people are dead.

http://www.rawstory....deadly-clashes/

#22    meryt-tetisheri

meryt-tetisheri

Psychic Spy

• 1,228 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

View PostHilander, on 01 July 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

Things turned violent last night and 8 people are dead.

http://www.rawstory....deadly-clashes/

16 killed according to Egyptian government sources (18 according to the opposition) and close to 800 wounded.

#23    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

The great shame in this is that Obama is throwing in his weight (and that of the superpower) behind the MB islamist thugs. And that, after having actively help to dispose of the secular Mubarak.

I was not on this board at the time, but on other lists I predicted already before the Obama win that an Obama administration would be a disaster for the Middle East. I was proven right.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#24    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,673 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

View Postmeryt-tetisheri, on 01 July 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

16 killed according to Egyptian government sources (18 according to the opposition) and close to 800 wounded.
Hi Meryt,
Was waiting to hear from you on this one.  I pray you and your family are safe and well and that you get the justice and freedoms you have fought so long and hard for.

My thoughts are with you and your countrymen.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#25    meryt-tetisheri

meryt-tetisheri

Psychic Spy

• 1,228 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 01 July 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

Hi Meryt,
Was waiting to hear from you on this one.  I pray you and your family are safe and well and that you get the justice and freedoms you have fought so long and hard for.

My thoughts are with you and your countrymen.

Thankl you lib, I am touched by the kindness of your post.
I am not living in Egypt, but my family (those who are still 'undispersed') are mostly living not far from the presidential palace so I am worried about them, and I do worry about the future of Egypt and its people. I pray that the present demonstrations will lead to a truely democratic secular government that will respect all its citizens and dedicate itself to working for them, not against them.

#26    meryt-tetisheri

meryt-tetisheri

Psychic Spy

• 1,228 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

I just watched Obama's reply to a question about Egypt and the American administration's response to the demonstrations in the press conference...I am stunned! Obama should be as concerned about the use of live ammo and explosive devices on demonstrators just as he is concerned about sexual harassment, but he mentioned the latter (in a rather after-thought fashion) but totally failed to mention the first. He does not seem to grasp that what is happening now is a grass root movement led by the people, not opposition parties. Opposition leaders are trying to catch up with the street not the other way round! Any negotiations or agreements between Mursi and the opposition parties will be moot unless they result in decisions that meet the demands of the people. What kind of advisors and info gathering experts are aiding Obama?
His answer was hesitant, unsatisfactory, and frankly an exercise in desperate (and futile) wishful thinking. Someone should advise him that  it is high time to change his position vis-à-vis the MB.

#27    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

According to here: http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t2

The demonstrators say they have collected 17 million signatures -- roughly 4 million more than what won Morsy the presidency -- and all of them call for Morsy to go.

If it's a true democracy, shouldn't they listen to the will of the people?

#28    meryt-tetisheri

meryt-tetisheri

Psychic Spy

• 1,228 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

http://www.nytimes.c...anted=1&_r=0

#29    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,191 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

It seems the military is dictating things again, last time they had power everyone was against them. There seems to be confusion who is leading the protests

#30    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,671 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 01 July 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

It seems the military is dictating things again, last time they had power everyone was against them. There seems to be confusion who is leading the protests
I had the impression that the protests were a popular groundswell without any structure to speak of...different cities, same goal - MURSI GONE!

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users