Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Insects Have Self-Awareness and Egos

Still Waters

Insects are conscious, egocentric beings, according to a new paper that also helps to explain why and likely when consciousness first evolved.

Recent neuroimaging suggests insects are fully hardwired for both consciousness and egocentric behavior, providing strong evidence that organisms from flies to fleas exhibit both.

http://news.discover...egos-160418.htm

Page 2:

http://news.discover...gos-1604181.htm

• Like 5

True story... I found a narcissistic cockroach in our house today, roaming around like it was royalty... And so, I had to teach him a lesson in humility with my trusted vacumn-cleaner... Hehe

• Like 7

Not gonna stop me in my quest for mosquito extinction.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've always considered all living things to have some degree of conscious self-awareness.

• Like 8

In the back of a building I used to work at there was a dumpster we used to throw edible garbage into. A bee was always hovering over it, and if another bee came around, that bee would furiously chase it away then return to continue hovering over that dumpster on the alert. That bee knew what it was doing, alright, it seemed pretty smart to me.

I wonder how we ignore that fact that all life has some form of consciousness.

I go out of my way to put insects outside of my home in most cases. If not possible, I will kill them, as I don't want to live with them.

Why not choose life whenever possible?

:cat:

• Like 3

Insects are just waiting for us to destroy ourselves. Some can survive intense radiation. I'd hate to think one day the most intelligent life on earth may be the cockroach.

I came to that realization when I found a cockroach in my bathtub. He was running around the tub and I realized that he jumped down from the vent above the tub. He ran over to below the vent and looked up and I hit him with the shoe. Then I realized that he had thoughts. I have felt guilty ever since.

• Like 2

I wonder how we ignore that fact that all life has some form of consciousness.

I go out of my way to put insects outside of my home in most cases. If not possible, I will kill them, as I don't want to live with them.

Why not choose life whenever possible?

:cat:

Crickets and other advantageous insects I will try to shosh outside. Cockroaches, ants and spiders WILL BE EXTERMINATED! with extreme prejudice.

I hope that they always have awareness of their own frail mortality.

It would make snuffing out their savagely foul lives that much more pleasing of an experience.

• Like 2

personally, i can't stand egotistical cockroaches, they can be so full of themselves sometimes.

*actually, i really like this study, it sort of expands the idea of what "consciousness" is.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

It is great news, we know consciousness evolved, but have been grasping at the mechanisms, some interesting studies have shown good models on how being alert for predators results in awareness of one's surroundings, which develops over time into consciousness, the implications are far reaching, and would affect debates on relgion and the afterlife.

• Like 2

Interesting to read some of the comments; identify a threat and either flee or eliminate the threat. We make a conscious decision, as does an insect in the same situation.

• Like 1

I hope that they always have awareness of their own frail mortality.

It would make snuffing out their savagely foul lives that much more pleasing of an experience.

hehe sure, enjoy it while you can i guess because once humans inevitably wipe ourselves out, insects will outlive them for millenia Edited by .mantis
  • Like 1

hehe sure, enjoy it while you can i guess because once humans inevitably wipe ourselves out, insects will outlive them for millenia

Said the mantis. You and your insect buddies are plotting against us, just waiting to evolve opposable thumbs, aren't you...

• Like 2

Egocentric insects?

Have they considered a career in politics? :unsure2:

• Like 2

Said the mantis. You and your insect buddies are plotting against us, just waiting to evolve opposable thumbs, aren't you...

uh oh he's onto us

• Like 3

Dinosaurs came and went. Humans came and maybe will go by the wayside. Maybe bugs will be next to evolve into a higher intelligence.

Dinosaurs came and went. Humans came and maybe will go by the wayside. Maybe bugs will be next to evolve into a higher intelligence.

7ef4082d1.jpg