Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chimps and humans 'both natural born killers'

Still Waters

Chimpanzees and humans have one key trait in common - both are natural born killers, scientists have shown.

Evidence suggests our closest animal relatives have an almost psychopathic tendency towards violence and slaughter that is not the result of human interference.

http://www.telegraph...rn-killers.html

• Like 1

Oh, yeah. They hunt monkeys in coordinated hunting parties, eat the meat and even share with the group. They gang up for a stomp down on members trying buck the established hierarchy. They'll rape and abuse females, commit infanticide and just go off the handle and be thoroughly unpleasant. They make war on and kill members of other groups. I have to hand it to Jane Goodall for surviving studying them.

• Like 3

And then you have bonobos, perhaps even more closely related to us, that solve most of their problems with sex.

• Like 2

And then you have bonobos, perhaps even more closely related to us, that solve most of their problems with sex.

They almost look like early hominids that regressed to a more arboreal lifestyle.

Chimps are mean, they murder, rape, what animals.

I've heard about them fashioning spears and killing monkeys so this is no surprise.

Chimps are mean, they murder, rape, what animals.

I've heard about them fashioning spears and killing monkeys so this is no surprise.

The spears are fanciful, but they do hunt, kill and eat monkeys, on occasion. They have no need of weapons; their canines or eye teeth are quite formidable.

My apologies Ashotep, you were right! http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/news/wild-chronicles/chimp-spear-wcvin

Edited by John Wesley Boyd
  • Like 1

I don't think either chimps or humans are "natural born killers," whatever that might mean, and, besides, we are more closely related to bonobos (as point out by Imaginarynumber1 in an earlier post).

A natural born killer would be an obligate carnivore who must get most of their nourishment from freshly killed meat.

• Like 3

Predators, and humans have a hunting instinct that's been suppressed for thousands of years. So it comes out in bullying and warfare.

• Like 1

Predators, and humans have a hunting instinct that's been suppressed for thousands of years. So it comes out in bullying and warfare.

I think these things are remnants of dominance and territoriality instincts, not from hunting.
  • Like 1

Hmm, think I agree with Frank Merton here. Saltwater Crocodiles are natural born killers, with their killing instincts fully programmed into them at birth. Both Human's and Chimp's? Not so much, I believe.

does this mean we get a remake of "Natural BOrn Killers" with chimps replacing Woody Harrelson and Juliette Lewis?

Because I'd get in line for that right now

• Like 1