Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Sawney Bean?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    Old Man Waffles

Old Man Waffles

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

My dad told me about a Scottish Cannibal called Sawney Bean. What do you know about him? Was he a real person? or just a legend? I would really like to know :)

#2    lsra

lsra

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 145 posts

• Someday we'll look back at this and plow into a parked car.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

I've heard of Sawney Bean.  He supposedly led a clan consisting of his wife, children and grandchildren who lived in a cave.  They would kidnap, rob and eat travelers who came in their path.  The grandchildren were products of incest. That's basically all I know about him though.  As for real or legend, that I don't know either.  I'm not much help!

#3    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,018 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

What Wikipedia sez

Mysterious Britain & Ireland

"Official Website"??

What BBC sez

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#4    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

I had a horseriding holiday many years ago, in the area where Sawney Bean allegedly lived. The lady leading the ride told us the story in all it's gory detail as was rode above his family's cave! At the time I thought she was making it up just to frighten us, but I've read up on it a bit since then and I think it is a true story. :o

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#5    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,799 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

Sort of 'The Hills Have Eyes' with sporrans!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#6    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

I've heard of him and I'll tell you the story I know.

Him and his lady friend had a truck load of children, all of whom ate people.
They lived in a cave near a costal area.
When the tide was in the cave wasn't visible.

Local legend was that the area of land (where him and his clan lived) was haunted due to alot of disappearances.
A man and his wife were travelling on horseback through the area when they were attacked.

The horse reared and the lady fell off and was immediately pounced on and pretty much killed.
The man rode back to the authorities who led a man hunt.

The cave was found with many, many sets of human remains inside and Sawney Bean and his family were all executed.

The cave is probably a tourist destination now.

#7    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

Whats wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

It seems like with them soley relying on cannabalism to nourish themselves they would get sick doesnt it. I mean thats what I think

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#8    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,799 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

Ealdwita snippet alert.......

The word Sawney was an early 18th.Century English nickname for a Scotsman (much the same as 'Jock' is today). It was used in a derogatory way when referring to the Scots, and it's been suggested that the legend of Sawney Bean was a fabrication to emphasize the savagery of those living north of the Border!

Sawney Ha'peth = Scottish halfpennyworth = fool/worthless item. (18th.Cent.)

And finally, good news for all you 'Scrabble' players out there (of which I'm sure there are thousands), Sawney's in the current Official Scrabble Player's Dictionary !

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users