Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Travel Planet's "The Dead Files"

Novella

If there is already a discussion regarding this show, I apologize in advance! For those of you who don't watch the show, here's the blurb:

A homicide detective and a medium combine their sixth senses to investigate haunted locations where a deadly crime was committed. Steve DiSchiavi is a retired detective with more than 20 years of experience with the New York City Police Department, and Amy Allan is a paranormal researcher and psychic who has worked with many private investigators and police agencies. In each episode, the duo investigate a case independently and keep their findings hidden from each other to preserve the integrity of their discoveries. At the episode's end DiSchiavi and Allan share with the property owner what they discover, and it often points to an undeniable conclusion.

I've been watching this show predominantly on Netflix and I'm not certain whether I think it's legitimate or not. There are several people (if you google search "Amy Allen") who believe Amy Allen is a fake and provide various reasons, most of which I think are fair arguments. I'm interested in what you think about it, both positive and negative thoughts. Of course, the rational in me disbelieves any so-called psychics who appear on television, and yet some of the episodes are a bit startling. However, it becomes so obviously scripted at some bits. (And the weird, ridiculous facial exp

ressions are a tad too dramatic, in my opinion.)

psychoticallen.pngMV5BOTYyNDA3NzE4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTI0Nzc5MjE@._V1_.jpg

Obviously, it's a show meant to get ratings, so it should be taken with a grain of salt, but I'm just interested in hearing some of your thoughts on the matter!

• Like 1

I really like the show, specifically the historic parts. Having the 'true?' facts on the true events themselves. Amy, just a bit to melodramatic seems to away chime in with the past events. Its TV not Memorex and needs to turn a profit. Any truth to the show???Who knows? All seasons are available by private torrent files.

Edited by jamesjr191
  • Like 1

I don't watch it. I just bypass it, when I'm trying to record Ghost Adventures. I guess, I don't like the more criminal aspects of it. Maybe I should give it a go, though. *shrugs*

Most "ghost" type shows have some criminal elements to them. Murder is a crime here ha ha ha. Give it a test drive you may be surprised. Im from NC, USA and was surprised how many events happened here.

Edited by jamesjr191

Hey Novella. Welcome to UM. I'm from Maryland too :)

I have watched the show The Dead Files and I do like that Steve is a retired NYC police officer/detective and he investigates these places like they were a crime scene. He gets some really great details about the property, the land and people who were linked to the area from the past. It's all very detailed.

Supposedly the two do not talk to each other during the investigation and do not share information and at the end Amy says what she experienced and Steve shows the facts he found.

Amy sort of scares me (see the facial expressions above) :lol: Where I'm not really sure she is *all there* sometimes I have to respect how some of her drawings and what she sees does link back to the property and the people there. Some of the drawings are spot on perfect.

That leads me to believe that maybe they do talk during the investigation to each other? *shrugs* I don't know.

I have to say out of all the ghosty-type shows out there this is the only one I still ever watch.

I used to watch so many of them and now I just watch The Dead Files. I think the reason is I think Steve is CUTE :lol: and I do like how he investigates everything. I'm an old lady so leave me alone on that one. He's very good looking :P

Edited to add: I did find this article. It's from the shows creator and executive producer. He claims to be a skeptic. Who knows?

Link: http://www.travelcha...d-files-creator

I found this part interesting:

“Producing The Dead Files is like planning a covert operation. Everyone is under very strict instructions not to share any information with Amy or Matt. All new staff members are carefully briefed to prevent them from accidentally mentioning even the most minor detail within earshot of our paranormal investigators. Even a seemingly harmless comment like, ‘see you in Detroit,’ spoken in front of Amy would cause us to cancel or reschedule an entire shoot.

Amy is especially strict about limiting all communication since the integrity of her investigation depends on her knowing nothing about a location. In fact, Amy insists that we not even tell her which state she is flying into until she arrives at the airport. She also demands that we confiscate her mobile phone and computer when she arrives at her destination. All of these precautions are counterintuitive to a producer, because we’re typically focused on efficiently sharing information, not withholding it. Retraining that reflex has been an interesting challenge.”

Here is a cool little piece from Matt, the camera man on the show and Amy's husband in real life. He explains a lot here about how they met and how she is as a person and I found it to be a good watch. Also, there are a lot of other cool articles and video's on here if you search around ;)

Here you go: http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/the-dead-files/video/married-to-a-medium

Edited by She-ra

So was Matt hired and then Amy got added because of that, or the other way around? Or did the two really just coincidentally both happen to work on the show - or did the whole thing happen during the show's production. Seems a little odd if it's not the latter.