Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Villagers mystified by strange animal

Still Waters

An Indonesian plantation worker and a 75-year-old farmer got the shock of their lives when they were attacked by an unknown animal species in two separate occasions earlier this month.

The farmer, Aris Kuna of Kampung Paon Gahat, was attacked by the rare animal while attending to his pepper garden about noon. The foreigner, however, was attacked a week later at a plantation near Kpg Baing while gathering oil palm fresh fruit bunches around 9am.

The animal that attacked the duo was described as having a ‘bear and wild boar’ resemblance. Fellow workers and villagers who saw the carcass, brought by the Indonesian, could not identify the animal species.

http://www.theborneo...strange-animal/

http://news.discover...#mkcpgn=rssnws1

Looking at the comments, they think it's a badger.

Badgers don't live in Indonesia...The nearest badger Chinese ferret badger does not even look like a boar or bear

• Like 1

They said it stinks . The second article says there's a type of badger that stinks like a skunk .But why would it attack humans ?

They said it stinks . The second article says there's a type of badger that stinks like a skunk .But why would it attack humans ?

The badgers in that region are alot smaller and look like ferrets. It looks like a boar or pig of some sort

Looks like this guy here. Palawan Stink Badger. It's indiginous to the Philippines so that might be why the locals didn't recognize it.

palawan-stink-badger.jpg

• Like 1

I'm going to agree with the identification of this thing as a Stink Badger. The one pictured in the OP link appears that it might even be a juvenile one, since it appears to be small and untanned.

Yeah, fierce critter there in that photo. Looks all of 15 inches long... judging off the grass and weeds. Quite a monster they killed there.

• Like 4

" Hey look, what is that?"

" I don't know, but lets kill it "

• Like 1

I looked at that, but the Stink Badger really looks, IMHO, to be a better fit. It is endemic to the area and the right size and coloring.

I'm sure your right, I missed the stink part of the story.

" Hey look, what is that?"

" I don't know, but lets kill it "

At least they did not immediately try to eat it, or smoke it, or sell it to a Chinese apothacary.

• Like 1

At least they did not immediately try to eat it, or smoke it, or sell it to a Chinese apothacary.

True, true..

We don't use badger in Chinese medicine,but Korean herbals..whole other animal,literally .

Pretty interesting. But why is there no visible damage if the farmer attacked it, as someone said earlier?

Here's a picture of a Palawan stink badger. It looks awfully similar to the animal:

Palawan-stink-badger.jpg

"When I was little, we found a man. He looked like - like, butchered. The old woman in the village crossed themselves... and whispered crazy things, strange things. "El Diablo cazador de hombres." Only in the hottest years this happens. And this year, it grows hot. We begin finding our men. We found them sometimes without their skins... and sometimes much, much worse. "El cazador trofeo de los hombres" means the demon who makes trophies of men."

• Like 2

Yes, I'd go with stink badger too, although it's a little out of its normal range.

They described this thing as being as big as a boar, WOW

doesnt look to dangerous...... i was picturing some giant bear with a boar head when i read the story, but what i get is a little pig with claws >.>

Is it possible it's a sub-species of the Stink Badger? So, while the Badger hangs around in other areas, to avoid competition they moved or were moved to the area and have survived. It looks slightly more "shaggy" or "bushy" than Stink Badgers. But, there we go, animals are able to end up in unusual places!