Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What do you think this is?

Helen of Annoy

Yes, I know, I kind of answered my own question :lol: but besides being an anomaly, what do you think this is?

It was taken a week ago, it was snowing, obviously, but I've put a completely ordinary photo taken few seconds apart to show you what the photo was supposed to look like.

post-75741-0-69832100-1355604481_thumb.j

post-75741-0-30328600-1355604565_thumb.j

Edited by Helen of Annoy
  • Like 2

It's behind the bushes and on the top right it looks like a set of copper colored cabling, possibly part of a larger piece of equipment.

Woo! now that's cool. Ectoplasm.

it looks like snowy mist stuff that gets blown in the wind to me. Atleast that happens during winter here sometimes

:lol: What flavour was it?

:lol: you think I’d stick my finger in ectoplasm?

Yeah, I would... but let’s not talk about that right now.

It's behind the bushes and on the top right it looks like a set of copper colored cabling, possibly part of a larger piece of equipment.

No, the huge white semi-transparent thing in the middle of the first photo. The cable at the right is just the cable, and leads to a pole where it merrily meets other cables.

Woo! now that's cool. Ectoplasm.

You think? *wags tail* Looks like tall, thin ecto-person with one bony wing visible :D

Hot air from mouth of photographer perhaps?

I’m not that full of hot air, you know. The night was not especially cold, only snowy, and I was breathing, surprisingly, the whole time, yet the anomaly is only in one photo. Besides, hot air, from my mouth or from the house (also, the door closed) would look more cloudy and less... ectoplasmy.

it looks like snowy mist stuff that gets blown in the wind to me. Atleast that happens during winter here sometimes

It does happen and I have it in yet another photo. This thing is not that. It’s not smoke, not snow, not a reflection... but something it is. I sure hope it's some weirdness like ectoplasm, but I'm ready to accept sane materialist explanation.

Edited by Helen of Annoy

Yup, you got yourself a genuine image of The Spirit of Winter there(and I think I see one of his minions running off in the background).

WinterSpirit.jpg

V.similar, n'est pas?

• Like 2

I won't pretend to know what that is, but it is a very cool picture!

• Like 1

Yup, you got yourself a genuine image of The Spirit of Winter there(and I think I see one of his minions running off in the background).

WinterSpirit.jpg

V.similar, n'est pas?

The only difference is that the Spirit of Winter in your picture is reaching for the girl, while mine was apparently zooming away from me :D

The only difference is that the Spirit of Winter in your picture is reaching for the girl, while mine was apparently zooming away from me :D

No comment. :whistle:

• Like 1

I am with spartan max on this..looks like a bunch of powdery snow that got blown in the wind to me... might not be What it is.. but that is what it looks like... it could also be car exhaust that has drifted over.

:lol: you think I’d stick my finger in ectoplasm?

Yeah, I would... but let’s not talk about that right now.

Actually I was thinking it was smoke.. :lol: Just wondering what you were smoking..

But seen as you weren't smoking, I thinks, perhaps, given it was flash photography & cold you captured either your breath or body heat.

But that's just my opinion on the photo.. Don't get me wrong, I believe in the probability in spirits, entities, and the likes, but given that you didn't see it in the real but the camera did, I'll have to go with the most logical conclusion.. If you did see it and how "wow that weird" then took the photo, perhaps then I would more likely think that you captured something spiritual.

• Like 1

I’m not that full of hot air, you know. The night was not especially cold, only snowy, and I was breathing, surprisingly, the whole time, yet the anomaly is only in one photo. Besides, hot air, from my mouth or from the house (also, the door closed) would look more cloudy and less... ectoplasmy.

Maybe you were holding breath, preparing to shoot, or preparing for cold temperature. You know when you going in cold sea after boling on hot beach. You hold breath?

I also thought could it be wind blowing snow. One very speedy wind?

Anyway, I always consider you to be dragon lady. I seen more the once fire comes from your mouth.

Edited by the L
  • Like 1

Thank you all for taking time to see my weird photo.

The exhale theory sounds convincing, but I think I’d see my breath too, it wouldn’t be caught only by camera. But then again, refractions, reflections, whatnot, you might be right. Maybe it is just my breath in flash light.

It’s not smoke because though I am a smoker, I wasn’t smoking anything at the time I took photos. Same with car exhaust, no cars running anywhere near for literally hours.

Not a snow slide, I’ve attached the third photo where you can see what it looks like – I was perfectly aware a portion of snow just fell off higher branches, creating this cute but explainable effect:

post-75741-0-54789000-1355668596_thumb.j

So, personally, I’ll go with ouija’s explanation, because I like it the most :D It’s the Spirit of Winter and it will bite you sceptics' noses to prove it’s real ;)

Edited by Helen of Annoy
  • Like 4

Personally, I'm just enjoying the photos! :)

I just looked at the first one again ...... I really don't think breath would look like that, would it?

Edited by ouija ouija

Personally, I'm just enjoying the photos! :)

I just looked at the first one again ...... I really don't think breath would look like that, would it?

I'm glad you enjoy them :)

I think breath looks completely different in photos, here I’ve attached a photo with exhaled cigarette smoke visible in lower right corner. I’d attach something less cancerous but that one was handy and breath on a cold day looks exactly like that - a form of mist.

Not remotely similar to almost angular structure I’ve caught in anomalous photo.

But since I’m not professional photographer or physicist, I have to admit there’s a possibility it’s just me having no idea what breath might look like in certain conditions. *shrugs*

post-75741-0-07912400-1355765932_thumb.j

I'm glad you enjoy them :)

I think breath looks completely different in photos, here I’ve attached a photo with exhaled cigarette smoke visible in lower right corner. I’d attach something less cancerous but that one was handy and breath on a cold day looks exactly like that - a form of mist.

Not remotely similar to almost angular structure I’ve caught in anomalous photo.

But since I’m not professional photographer or physicist, I have to admit there’s a possibility it’s just me having no idea what breath might look like in certain conditions. *shrugs*

Different images taken in different conditions and with different exposures. Your original image looks just like exhaled breath illuminated by the camera.

Your original image looks just like exhaled breath illuminated by the camera.

With all due respect: NO IT DOESN'T!! :)

• Like 2

I promise to take few photos at night, when temperature drops and snow starts to fall, deliberately breathing like a maniac to see if the same pattern can be recreated.

I doubt it's the breath since I've seen similar anomalies in photos taken (by other people) in different weather and in different light and it just doesn't look like breath. Breath doesn't have tubular or angular structure.

I'm open for sceptic explanations if they are convincing.

Speaking of unconvincing explanations, here're two photos 15 or so years old, with miserable resolution (bad scans of small classic photos, I do keep the original film) but you can see that white spiralling thingy in the upper left corner. Some people told me it's clearly a roll of toilet paper flying through the air. Well, I think it's not. I also have no idea what exactly is it, but I like the way it looks like it follows us in the first photo, and how it's only partially in the second photo - therefore, whatever that was, it hovered there, in a spot in actual space, it's not a defect on film or paper. Or roll of paper *rolling my eyes*

post-75741-0-67842600-1355777802_thumb.j

post-75741-0-52803500-1355777812_thumb.j

With all due respect: NO IT DOESN'T!! :)

Been researching such claimed photo anomalies since the early 1990s - YES IT DOES.