Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The End Of The World Has Begun

Shabd Mystic

The "end of the world" crowd should love this: :yes:

Greenland Ice Melt, Measured By NASA Satellites, Reaches Unprecedented Level

Unprecedented melting of Greenland's ice sheet this month has stunned NASA scientists and has highlighted broader concerns that the region is losing a remarkable amount of ice overall.

According to a NASA press release, about half of Greenland's surface ice sheet naturally melts during an average summer. But the data from three independent satellites this July, analyzed by NASA and university scientists, showed that in less than a week, the amount of thawed ice sheet surface skyrocketed from 40 percent to 97 percent. ...

... When Son Nghiem of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory observed the recent melting phenomenon, he said in the NASA press release, "This was so extraordinary that at first I questioned the result: Was this real or was it due to a data error?"

Flooding of coastlines would be catastrophic but not the end of the world.

We have had coastlines change throughout history. Nothing new.

The one thing that will stop anyone from adapting is fear but even if no flooding happened just fearing would erode the quality of our present lives.

Even if flooding does happen we will adapt as we always have.

Carry on. I feel fine.

Edited by Lookitisoneofthosepeople

in the article it states

Goddard glaciologist Lora Koenig said that similar melting events occur about every 150 years, and this event is consistent with that schedule, citing the previous 1889 melt. But, she added, "if we continue to observe melting events like this in upcoming years, it will be worrisome."

well yes of course it would be worrisome if it keeps happening every year, but she just stated that this particular melt is consistent with the expected melt that has been going on about every century and a half.

yes climate change is a concern, but i'm a bit tired of everything being attributed to it right off the bat even though there is nothing really spectacular going on to warrant it.

• Like 4

I don't know what to make of it, but that seems pretty extreme.

From 40% ice melt to 97% ice melt in about 4 days when normally Greenland doesn't lose more than 50% of its surface ice during the summer?

I'm not a scientist, but that would seem to indicate something is out of whack.

• Like 1

The End Of The World Has Begun

Yeah you bet it has...I just noticed I ran out of chocolate cookies. Damit! Damit all to hell!

And the worse part, before running out of it, you weren't sharing.............. shame :innocent:

• Like 6

not bothered in the slightest..

back in the 80's if you spoke of climate change and greenhouse gasses etc, you were a tree hugger, or a hippy... you know what i mean?

so here we are some 20+ years later.. now the system says it's real? says it wants to introduce all the carbon tax **** to offset it... meanwhile their depleted uranium continues to fall in the middle east..

...incase you haven't worked it out yet.. it's all bull**** ;)

• Like 3

back in the 80's if you spoke of climate change and greenhouse gasses etc, you were a tree hugger, or a hippy... you know what i mean?

so here we are some 20+ years later.. now the system says it's real? says it wants to introduce all the carbon tax **** to offset it... meanwhile their depleted uranium continues to fall in the middle east..

Don't you think that the future of our species on this planet is slightly more important than a damn tax, and that this may be the sort of thing we can't afford to get wrong, regardless of what "the system" (whatever that is) says?

• Like 2

Don't you think that the future of our species on this planet is slightly more important than a damn tax, and that this may be the sort of thing we can't afford to get wrong, regardless of what "the system" (whatever that is) says?

Truth is more important, the tax has been created to enrich few people at the expenses of the working class. In fact dendrochronology proved that earth is cooling. This is why Roman soldiers went in battle in tuttus and Celts were fighting naked. The precession of equinox will make weather changes but it's not and will never be man made, unless of course some idiots pushes the red forbidden button and creates a nuclear winter.. but then it wouldn't be a warming but a global freezing. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

• Like 3

Apparently Greenland is shedding its ice to become more green and legally comply with the trades description act...

• Like 5

Go straight to the top of the class, first man to link climate warming to depleted uranium, I couldn't have done that, even with the help of magic mushrooms !

I don't know what to make of it, but that seems pretty extreme.

From 40% ice melt to 97% ice melt in about 4 days when normally Greenland doesn't lose more than 50% of its surface ice during the summer?

I'm not a scientist, but that would seem to indicate something is out of whack.

Ok Ok what is whack. When is something in whack?

But the greenland thing is concerning. If they are saying a once in 150 year event I guess its ok. But why does it seem like we are having a lot of these once in a life time events this year. Like australia had a real wet summer. The winter has been warm but Canberra had its coldest winter morning in 55 years a few weeks ago. Also where are all the atlantic hurricanes?

But Does that mean there is a little bit of melt water all over greenland so its one giant slip and slide?

But the greenland thing is concerning. If they are saying a once in 150 year event I guess its ok. But why does it seem like we are having a lot of these once in a life time events this year. Like australia had a real wet summer. The winter has been warm but Canberra had its coldest winter morning in 55 years a few weeks ago. Also where are all the atlantic hurricanes?

But Does that mean there is a little bit of melt water all over greenland so its one giant slip and slide?

It stands to reason that if there is a 150 year cycle of extra melting in Greenland, then Greenland would not be the only spot in the world affected by that cycle.

Apparently Greenland is shedding its ice to become more green and legally comply with the trades description act...

Ha, ha, that's good! I have heard that it was called "green" land because when discovered, the southern portion has a bit of vegetation, similar to today during this warm period. I tend to believe that these things go in cycles and that much of global warming is about transferring wealth through taxation from one country to another (or the oligarchy thereof), but I am sure many would disagree.

We can only hope. I'm about ready to cross over and get a new body. My old one is about worn out.

Ha, ha, that's good! I have heard that it was called "green" land because when discovered, the southern portion has a bit of vegetation, similar to today during this warm period. I tend to believe that these things go in cycles and that much of global warming is about transferring wealth through taxation from one country to another (or the oligarchy thereof), but I am sure many would disagree.

I think you are right about how it got its name, I heard another version of its 'naming' as a youngster. That version claimed it was so desolate it was named Greenland in order to trick people into settling there...

• Like 1

I heard the name came about because the pioneers were trying to fool people. They named the pleasant paradise iceland, and the icy snow-hole greenland to get folks mixed up.

Whack

Idiom

9. out of whack, Informal . out of order or alignment; not in proper condition

Well it looks like you already said that chubb lol but good point on the transfer of wealth through blinding topics...

...If the ice was already floating on the sea then it will not add to sea - level rise (such as the calving of the huge iceberg). This appears to be something different, lets just hope that it does not become an annual event - if it did, then some Island Nations are simply going to disappear.

Seems to me that if the planet were truly in danger they would have found a way to make the "Green" Tech affordable.

I find it odd that everyone needs to do so much to fix the problem yet the fixing equates into the common folk giving up a lot of their cash.

Spend $40k+ on that cute little Chevy Volt, just ignore the Chevy Camaro convertible sitting next to it on the lot for $38k.

As if.

Maybe i will hinge my worry meter on the Dept of Energy.

They were created back in 1977 to reduce our dependance on foreign oil and fossil fuels. How have they been doing for the past 35 years?

When they do their part, i will worry about doing mine.

LONG LIVE THE INCANDESCENT BULB!!!!!

Ha, ha, that's good! I have heard that it was called "green" land because when discovered, the southern portion has a bit of vegetation, similar to today during this warm period.

Nope. It was named Greenland in an effort to get fellow Scandinavian settlers to move there.

Truth is more important, the tax has been created to enrich few people at the expenses of the working class. In fact dendrochronology proved that earth is cooling. This is why Roman soldiers went in battle in tuttus and Celts were fighting naked. The precession of equinox will make weather changes but it's not and will never be man made, unless of course some idiots pushes the red forbidden button and creates a nuclear winter.. but then it wouldn't be a warming but a global freezing. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Firstly, I didn't say that the earth was heating up. That's irrelevant. I'm saying that our effect on the planet is irreversible, and we will make it drastically less inhabitable if we carry on thinking exponential growth can continue indefinitely (it can't). Simply not wanting to pay tax and saying its some upper class conspiracy is selfish and naive.

Firstly, I didn't say that the earth was heating up. That's irrelevant. I'm saying that our effect on the planet is irreversible, and we will make it drastically less inhabitable if we carry on thinking exponential growth can continue indefinitely (it can't). Simply not wanting to pay tax and saying its some upper class conspiracy is selfish and naive.

Could you esssplain to me why various governments are pushing those clunkers called hybrids when their carbon foot print on a period of 10 years is larger than that of a Hummer H2?

Read more here and this is the interesting part.

Okay, so with almost three times as much greenhouse gas emissions each year, the HUMMER H2 is the clear loser, right? Well, if you are only interested in emissions, then yes, the Prius obviously is a far superior choice. However, recent rumors have indicated that the HUMMER H2 may actually be more environmentally friendly when EVERYTHING is taken into account, from concept to disposal.

CNW Marketing Research, Inc. is a forecasting firm that has taken it upon themselves to estimate and report the approximate energy cost of vehicle models from concept to disposal. The number is calculated based on all amounts of energy that are required to produce, assemble, sell, operate, maintain and dispose of the vehicle over its entire life cycle.

Taking all these factors into account, one might conclude that a vehicle that is more energy efficient on the road actually produces more emissions due to higher energy requirements to build and dispose of the vehicle. At first glance the report indicates exactly that by announcing that the Toyota Prius results in $3.25 of energy costs per mile over the lifetime of the vehicle. In contrast, the HUMMER H2 purportedly operates with $3.03 energy costs per mile. How can this be?

Calling me selfish would be drastic although I tend to be egotistical and elitist, but naive ... oh dear, everything but.

Edited by Paracelse

Spend $40k+ on that cute little Chevy Volt, just ignore the Chevy Camaro convertible sitting next to it on the lot for $38k.

As if.

We all know the real problem here is that you're buying a Chevy in the first place :D :D :D

LONG LIVE THE INCANDESCENT BULB!!!!!

I'm very glad I wasn't drinking milk at this moment, because it would have come out my nose.