Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

O.D.D. obsessive debunking disorder

OverSword

Couldn't read the whole thing with that stupid white text on black background crap.

• Like 1

From the artice:

The reality is that apart from their own kind—other self-proclaimed non-'idiots'—most people find such arrogant and obnoxious debunkers and hardcore skeptics to be strangely angry and boorish, and often confrontational to the point of hysterical. So many of them seem to lack basic social and behavioural skills when 'debating' with their 'kook' of choice. Their absolutism can be staggering at times. Yet, despite all this, they have somehow come to consider themselves 'cool' and even 'sexy' within the last decade. This is simply a lack of critical thinking on their behalf; a distorted worldview where only they are right and everyone else is an idiot.

However, when you strip down their whole mandate into its constituent parts, one soon finds that most of these 'scientifically' minded crusaders have no actual accredited scientific background, and the entire thrust of their endeavours remains nothing less than unconditional servitude and unquestioned devotion to authority figures and the status quo. They seek entrenched orthodoxy, not exploration and wonder. They see an open-minded individual as being akin to a brain being infected with a disease, or the mark of a witch. They act as if Creationists are a real danger to human survival, as if the US Bible Belt has extended beyond its absurd boundaries. Creationists are about as much danger to the advances made by scientists in the last two hundred years as Graneda was to Ronald Reagan back in the early 1980s.

http://thomassheridanarts.com/articles.php?article_id=82

Yeah this should be pinned...

• Like 3

i can't help thinking some aspects of that do rather seem to describe some of the more obssessive Atheists of the Dawkins persuasion who never miss an opportunity to point out to everyone how much more Rational they are than all the superstitious gullible fools ..

• Like 3

the funny thing is that everyone is going to say everyone else is like that but themself :P lol

I have to agree they only think the other person is wrong but not themselves. Can never win with these types because they are always right.
  • Like 6

:)

This is gonna be fun. They haven't seen this thread yet because they're too busy not-being-wrong in other ones.

• Like 8

I like the acronym, ODD. The claim to 'debunking' is accepted by those folks as being absolutely true, no questions asked. It seems that regarding 911, Popular Mechanics seems to have coined the phrase.

No matter how inaccurate any given explanation might be, if the term 'debunked' is used, it becomes gospel. In the end, 'debunking' is really just part of the coverup.

• Like 8

Just wait until the not being wrong crowd shows up. It is going to be fun.

• Like 5

To be fair there are members to the other side this also applies to. Not everything is a conspiracy. I admit that sometimes I can be put into that paradigm.

• Like 6

Ha, this is a funny one; should I link in the numerous links on the web concerning the deficits in rationality and psychological biases of many conspiracy theorists? Gotta love that the 'criticisms' of 'debunkers' are largely of an unevidenced psychological nature; how does Thomas Sheridan, whoever he is, know that debunkers think of themselves as 'cool' and 'sexy', and how 'most people' view them?

I guess I might try and do a lot of irrelevant hand waving of this nature also if I needed to distract from the lack of evidence and poor argumentation ('but you haven't proved that it couldn't happen!', 'but it's possible!') used to vainly support the usual CTs. On the other hand, quoting a psychological analysis performed by an artist is entirely consistent with lots of CTs' approach to argumentation, evidence, and expertise.

• Like 6

Hmmmm.. Liquid Gardens. I wonder which side he fits into? :lol:

• Like 7

... how does Thomas Sheridan, whoever he is, know that debunkers think of themselves as 'cool' and 'sexy', and how 'most people' view them?...

LG you are sexy and cool (just saying lol)

• Like 3

I can hardly contain myself!

ROFLMAO-1.gif

How many more pages do we give it before fisticuffs break out and the thread is locked?

• Like 4

Ha, this is a funny one; should I link in the numerous links on the web concerning the deficits in rationality and psychological biases of many conspiracy theorists? Gotta love that the 'criticisms' of 'debunkers' are largely of an unevidenced psychological nature; how does Thomas Sheridan, whoever he is, know that debunkers think of themselves as 'cool' and 'sexy', and how 'most people' view them?

Well, even if R. Dawkins himself doesn't, many of his admirers would seem very much to apply such adjectives to him... :innocent:

LG you are sexy and cool (just saying lol)

Ha, well, of course! Everyone already knows the objective fact, supported by numerous, irrefutable detailed studies, that I'm sexy and cool (and don't forget humble and modest!) ;)

• Like 4

I guess this should be in community part of website.. more informative that way we dont want people to get this O.D.D too much i guess there will soon be something similar to furious conspiracy theorists.. F.C.T.! :D

One thing must be common to both sides... an open mind ( ability to think and assess opinions,explanations,etc )...Otherwise is just walls talking to walls which doesnt work does it...

• Like 3

From the artice:

The reality is that apart from their own kind—other self-proclaimed non-'idiots'—most people find such arrogant and obnoxious debunkers and hardcore skeptics to be strangely angry and boorish, and often confrontational to the point of hysterical. So many of them seem to lack basic social and behavioural skills when 'debating' with their 'kook' of choice. Their absolutism can be staggering at times. Yet, despite all this, they have somehow come to consider themselves 'cool' and even 'sexy' within the last decade. This is simply a lack of critical thinking on their behalf; a distorted worldview where only they are right and everyone else is an idiot.

However, when you strip down their whole mandate into its constituent parts, one soon finds that most of these 'scientifically' minded crusaders have no actual accredited scientific background, and the entire thrust of their endeavours remains nothing less than unconditional servitude and unquestioned devotion to authority figures and the status quo. They seek entrenched orthodoxy, not exploration and wonder. They see an open-minded individual as being akin to a brain being infected with a disease, or the mark of a witch. They act as if Creationists are a real danger to human survival, as if the US Bible Belt has extended beyond its absurd boundaries. Creationists are about as much danger to the advances made by scientists in the last two hundred years as Graneda was to Ronald Reagan back in the early 1980s.

http://thomassheridanarts.com/articles.php?article_id=82

*slams fist on table*.... Ha! This is wrong! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

It's not 'cool' and even 'sexy', it's 'hot' and even 'sexy', so there! :w00t: ... :passifier:

(this is fun :clap: )

• Like 1

Conspiracy theory debunkers.... young earth creationists.... I can't tell the difference :w00t:

From the artice:

The reality is that apart from their own kind—other self-proclaimed non-'idiots'—most people find such arrogant and obnoxious CTers and hardcore believers to be strangely angry and boorish, and often confrontational to the point of hysterical. So many of them seem to lack basic social and behavioural skills when 'debating' with their 'kook' of choice. Their absolutism can be staggering at times. Yet, despite all this, they have somehow come to consider themselves 'cool' and even 'sexy' within the last decade. This is simply a lack of critical thinking on their behalf; a distorted worldview where only they are right and everyone else is an idiot.

However, when you strip down their whole mandate into its constituent parts, one soon finds that most of these 'unscientifically' minded crusaders have no actual accredited scientific background, and the entire thrust of their endeavours remains nothing less than unconditional servitude and unquestioned devotion to CT's. They seek wonder and excitement beyond reality. They see an open-minded individual as being akin to a brain being infected with a disease, or the mark of a witch.

Hmmmm. This works both ways.

Edited by Myles
  • Like 7

Brilliant article.

Something that annoys me about of some Skeptics and hardcore debunkers. The regurgitate what "officals" tell them. No thinking of their own whatsoever.

If there is a conspiracy theory that involves the "officials" then they are obviously going to lbe lying if the conspiracy is actually true, which means the debunker/skeptic just constantly regurgitates what they said. I find it funny really. Einstien would be very unhappy. lol

Vs regurgitating what some anonymous You Tube poster told them or someone like Alex Jones who has been caught in so many lies I've lost count?

• Like 4