Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can You "Flip Around" the Field

Hugh

Have any of you ever found that you could "flip around" the field of a sports event that you are watching on television, so that you are looking at it from "the other side"? :o

What I mean is, let's say that you are watching football or soccer on television.

Normally you would perceive the "actual" placement of the field relative to yourself as being directly in front of you.

If you've ever been to the actual stadium or field though, you may have a different orientation that your mind sees it in, relative to yourself as you are watching the game now.

As you watch the game, can you "flip" from the various viewpoints, so that it is perceived that the field actually gets "flipped" around, and you are now seeing it as if from being on the "other side"?

I should mention that this occurs for me frequently, and it can take place just by thinking it, and the flip can end up in any one of four different orientations, all at 90 or 180 degrees relative to each other.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks. :)

btw this is related to the experience of VRIs that I've had:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=159285

and http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=82537

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hugh

• *Frank*

• aquatus1

• Pinx

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I understand what you mean but is it anything like the effect created in this optical illusion? It appears to be spinning one way but you can 'make' it spin the other way if you concentrate on it.

Illusion

It sounds sort of like what you described but I could be way off.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean but is it anything like the effect created in this optical illusion? It appears to be spinning one way but you can 'make' it spin the other way if you concentrate on it.

Illusion

It sounds sort of like what you described but I could be way off.

The spinning dancer illusion is a little similar in that the "flip" happens in an instant, and that the flip makes a directional change... the dancer instantly changes from spinning clockwise to spinning counter-clockwise, based on our own perceptual choice.

Where it differs is that the direction that you are viewing the dancer stays the same.

With the VRI flip mentioned in the original post, there is an instant flip to a new viewing direction involved.

Perhaps I can explain it this way...

Let's say you are looking at your TV screen towards the 'South', so you may think that the soccer field that you are looking at is also towards the 'South'.

Now the actual field viewpoint direction from the camera might be towards the 'North', which, if you were actually there at the field, would put you facing the opposite direction that you are facing your TV screen in, which is 180 degrees flipped around.

The question is, can you flip your perceived viewpoint of the field around so that you are facing towards the 'North', as it actually is?

You end up being able to "flip the field" around so that you end up seeing it from another direction, as if you were sitting on the other side of it, looking in the opposite direction.

When you flip it around in your mind, can you see things that were formerly hidden? :w00t:

I can't flip directional perception, but I can erase things from view.

When you flip it around in your mind, can you see things that were formerly hidden? :w00t:

Unfortunately not lol... everything still looks the exact same, except you're looking at it from another direction...

I can't flip directional perception, but I can erase things from view.

That sounds interesting Purplos, can you explain it more clearly? How much and what can you erase, and how temporary is it?

So it's more a sense of which direction is north (or east, south, west) that changes? That wouldn't work for me as I never know which way I'm facing anyway. But if the camera angle on the tv never changes how do you get the impression that you're looking at it from a different direction?

So it's more a sense of which direction is north (or east, south, west) that changes? That wouldn't work for me as I never know which way I'm facing anyway. But if the camera angle on the tv never changes how do you get the impression that you're looking at it from a different direction?

It's a sense of directional bearings that does the "flip".

Take this picture of a necker cube:

necker.gif

How does one know that the cube "flips" if you're still looking at the same cube?

The red dot goes from "inside" to "outside" the cube but it's still the same thing you're looking at.

In a similar way, the flip happens with this picture of a field:

benhill.jpg

One can imagine that one is in the opposite corner looking the other way and there is a "flip" that takes place where you are looking at the same thing but it's from another direction...

Just picture yourself on the "other side" and it may "flip around" for you...

The way you describe it is more of a state of mind than a "flip". You're still seeing the exact same field but "pretending" to see it from the opposite corner.

I get it what you mean and can do it too, but I don't think it's anything special or abnormal. I would imagine everyone could do it.

The way you describe it is more of a state of mind than a "flip". You're still seeing the exact same field but "pretending" to see it from the opposite corner.

I get it what you mean and can do it too, but I don't think it's anything special or abnormal. I would imagine everyone could do it.

It's great to hear that you experience this too Moonie!

You're right about it being a "state of mind" because you have to use your mind to make the flip happen, just as you do to make the Necker Cube flip.

It's the control over one's directional perception of orientation that I'm very interested in.

The change can be a very subtle one though, so not everyone notices it happening.

Moonie, have you experienced this flip under any other circumstances, such as being "turned around" in your bearings and seeing everything all around you being "flipped around"?

Could you do "the flip" if you were actually at the field pictured above? :o

Edited by Hugh

It's not that strange once you get around the illusion that you see with your eyes.

Well, the eyes are the place where the light energy is received, then our brain processes it to form a mental image in our brain of what we are seeing.

It's interesting that the image also has an orientational bearing, and that it can be flipped around by focusing on it.

Have you ever experienced that flip phenomenon aquatus?

Edited by Hugh

You can experience it with any of your past memories. As you noted, the eyes don't see; they just gather the data for the mind. The mind then creates a three-dimensional image. We tend to only think of it as single perspective, but when you look through your memories, you'll find they are every bit as "flippable". What makes you different isn't that you can do it, but rather that you can do it so rapidly, with almost no lag time in the creation of a memory..

You can experience it with any of your past memories. As you noted, the eyes don't see; they just gather the data for the mind. The mind then creates a three-dimensional image. We tend to only think of it as single perspective, but when you look through your memories, you'll find they are every bit as "flippable". What makes you different isn't that you can do it, but rather that you can do it so rapidly, with almost no lag time in the creation of a memory..

For me, the memories that I have are accessible from only one of 4 different perspectives.

When I think of a past event, it is associated with a certain orientational viewpoint, the one that I was "in" at the time.

rm76 and I discussed this aspect in an earlier VRI thread here:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=82537&view=findpost&p=3095485

Aquatus, have you ever experienced the VRI flip in real time, as it happens "around yourself"?

lol, no. never tried.

Has it ever happened on its own?

Like say for example you come up from the subway and you start walking what you think is North, but then everything seems different than how you've normally seen it before...

Everything seems "turned around", and you realize your bearing sense has been "turned around" while in the subway.

It's what happens next is what I'm very interested in.

Your brain automatically flips everything back to your "normal" viewpoint... how you normally see everything.

Most of us just think "okay, now I know where I am", but think about the flip itself...

It's something that can happen "all around us", to our "whole world" or it can happen while watching a sports event on TV... the change is more subtle, but it exists... and I'm fascinated with it. :)

Well, while watching my Huskers on TV and at Memorial Stadium I guess I have kinda seen a few plays from behind, especially this year. The most memorable one would be against Oklahoma I remember seeing Prince Amukamara's back, it wasn't even a notable play, I mean it was an incomplete pass. That was one time on tv...It's happened more there, but mostly at live events. For instance I went to Rockfest this year and remember seeing Alice Cooper from behind for just a split second........

Hmmm... I'm not sure that this is the same thing we're talking about...

With the flip I'm talking about, nothing actually is seen differently in the picture, like you don't see someone's back, then their front - before and after the flip...

If you're looking at their front, then the flip happens, you're still seeing their front, but it's from the direction that their back used to be seen in... relatively speaking...

Edited by Hugh

I don't really watch sports but I do flip my reflection in the mirror. Whenever I'd see a picture of myself, it always looked a little off, until I realized that that's how people see me everyday and I'm actually used to seeing the reverse image of my face. (Not saying that my face is super-asymmetrical or anything, the differences are only something I'd notice.) Anyway, once I realized that, I was able to mentally flip the reflection at will. I still do it to this day, whenever I look in the mirror.

Edited by Pinx

I don't really watch sports but I do flip my reflection in the mirror. Whenever I'd see a picture of myself, it always looked a little off, until I realized that that's how people see me everyday and I'm actually used to seeing the reverse image of my face. (Not saying that my face is super-asymmetrical or anything, the differences are only something I'd notice.) Anyway, once I realized that, I was able to mentally flip the reflection at will. I still do it to this day, whenever I look in the mirror.

Hi Pinx, that's interesting. I'm curious if the type of left-right flip that you are able to do is confined to just your face in the mirror or if everything in the image gets flipped too...

Could you do what you normally do with the left-right reversal while wearing a top that has writing on it for an experiment?

Normally, writing on clothing appears reversed, so I'd like to see if, when you try it and your face appears as others see it, if the writing is seen normally as well, going from left to right in the mirror image you see...

Edited by Hugh

Hey Hugh,

Usually I just focus on the face, but yeah, if I concentrate on the writing/image on my shirt flipping to normal, it will. In fact, that's sort of what it reminds me of. If you've ever intentionally tried to write backwards, that's the same feeling I get when I do it.

ETA: it's same feeling when you flip the cube you posted or make the spinning lady go in either direction or get her to hop from left to right and back.

Edited by Pinx

Hey Hugh,

Usually I just focus on the face, but yeah, if I concentrate on the writing/image on my shirt flipping to normal, it will. In fact, that's sort of what it reminds me of. If you've ever intentionally tried to write backwards, that's the same feeling I get when I do it.

ETA: it's same feeling when you flip the cube you posted or make the spinning lady go in either direction or get her to hop from left to right and back.

Okay, I see what you mean now. When you mentioned the writing backwards thing, I've experienced that, but not the face reversal thing, but I can see how it's similar.

This reminds me of the thread I started a while back called the upside down thread:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=179489

When you first look at upside down writing it looks strange

:rofl: ˙lɐɯɹou sʞool ʇı puɐ sdılɟ ʇı uǝɥʇ ʇnq

Hey Pinx, could you try to do the flip thing in the earlier picture of the stadium crowd?

Think of being on the opposite corner of the stadium looking back at where you are now, and see if the whole thing "flips around" to the new position in your minds eye. :)

I'd expect this is all down to your imagination. The cube and the dancer images seem to flip because they are optical illusions. The brain is easily confused, nothing actually flips around. The upside down writing again doesn't flip the right way up. You can make sense of it because it's not that hard to read upside down.

I'd expect this is all down to your imagination. The cube and the dancer images seem to flip because they are optical illusions. The brain is easily confused, nothing actually flips around. The upside down writing again doesn't flip the right way up. You can make sense of it because it's not that hard to read upside down.

You're right in that nothing actually gets flipped around, but it's your perception of it that changes... something flips and it is seen another way.

The reason why I started this topic is that I like to discuss VRIs (Visual Reorientation Illusions), and that some may be able to do the flip with a TV image, but haven't experienced the full "3D whole world around you VRI flip" itself yet.

It's something that I think may be able to be learned in stages, and I'm wondering what's the best way to go about that...

Edited by Hugh

You mean like wehn I'm laying in bed and I think I'm staring at the wall but I'm really looking the other way?

Something like that.

It's when you're looking at a wall in a direction that you normally see the door in, then it flips back to how you usually see it.

I came up with a drawing to illustrate the question better...

First the field:

vrifieldflip.jpg

The Visual Reorientation Illusion allows one to visualize the same field from 4 possible different directions, relative to each other.

The flip occurs instantly, like the necker cube, and in an instant, the "whole world", including the field, is flipped around either 90 or 180 degrees, and you see it from another direction.

visualreorientationillu.jpg

Does this help anyone see the flip easier? Try it with the picture of the field. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Isn't this similar to spatial awareness? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatial_awareness

http://www.balametrics.com/explain.htm

They have these aptitude tests (usually you get given them in school or university) to see which talents/skills you have, and what job fields you should study towards. These tests have a lot of spatial awareness questions, like looking at shapes and 3D objects and picturing them from another angle. I scored well on the spatial awareness questions, so I ended up enrolling in tech drawing and art classes.

Is this similar to what you mean?

Isn't this similar to spatial awareness? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatial_awareness

http://www.balametrics.com/explain.htm

They have these aptitude tests (usually you get given them in school or university) to see which talents/skills you have, and what job fields you should study towards. These tests have a lot of spatial awareness questions, like looking at shapes and 3D objects and picturing them from another angle. I scored well on the spatial awareness questions, so I ended up enrolling in tech drawing and art classes.

Is this similar to what you mean?

Hi NosmoKing,

It is similar in some aspects but different in others.

With the aptitude tests, you flip things around in your mind's eye to see how they would look from another angle.

I took drafting in high school and also have seen aptitude tests with the flipping around object questions too, which are enjoyable.

The difference with this phenomenon, and with VRIs as well, is that you don't see anything differently... you don't see anything different in your viewpoint... but what is different is the angle from which you view it.

Picture yourself as actually being in the stadium in the picture.

Now, imagine if the whole structure was on platform with a central swivel, and the whole stadium was rotated clockwise half-way around 180 degrees.

You would sense the whole stadium turning around and you would know after it had finished turning that you would be facing in the opposite direction, relative to how you were facing before the turn.

You would still be looking at the same field, but it would be from the opposite direction before the flip.

That's how a VRI feels like, except that the whole flip takes place in an instant, and not only the stadium, but the whole world and universe gets turned around with it.

It's like being able to be within a Necker Cube as it instantly flips in orientation. You see things one way, then the other in an instant flip.

It's still the same viewpoint, but it's flipped around, and a lot of fun to do. :)