Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Lazy genius: Verizon catches US developer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

Being a software developer working in the US can net you a salary in the six-figure range. But that doesn’t stop there being some very lazy developers out there earning such high sums of money. A case in point is a developer called Bob, who Verizon just exposed as a lazy genius.
The real identity of the company and developer have not been released, but the details have. The developer, referred to as Bob, works for a “US-based critical infrastructure company.” Bob is a guy who lists 7+ programming languages on his resume and is in his mid-40s, meaning he’s an experienced developer. He’s also been duping his employer for months.
The company he worked for contacted Verizon when it discovered a VPN connection it couldn’t explain on its network. The connection was from Shenyang, China, which set alarm bells ringing. Verizon investigated and discovered the login being used to access the network from China belonged to Bob who sat at his desk every day in the US seemingly working very hard. It was also remaining logged in all day and had been used for months.

http://www.geek.com/...china-20130116/

:D

#2    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

I wish i had thought of doing that

#3    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,613 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

I don't see the problem at all.  They pay him to get a job done and it's getting done.  My co-worker and I have discussed doing this in the past.

#4    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

I guess the main concern would be security issues with the company's intellectual property, as one of the comments mentions. Good idea all the same though.

#5    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 5,311 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:08 AM

Fire him, hire the Chinese guy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users