Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

One question I keep asking myself.

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#31    sutemi

sutemi

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

There certainly are a lot of problems on this planet and if we concentrate on them it seems so disheartening but it also gives us the chance to work against evil, to try to bring change to this world. It can be depressing looking at the problems that so many ignore, as they follow their addiction to materialism, camping outside the I-Poop shop waiting for the latest gadget. While a child dies every 5 seconds of not just starvation but Diarrhoea from dirty water! You are a person that cares and the world needs more people like you, so get active to try and change things. I got involved in the ‘International Day of Peace’ last year and it was heartening to see just how many caring people there are, from so many different back grounds. We can make a difference by helping good causes, we can’t wait for the politicians they are bought and paid off. The corporations and governments own all the media they pump us full of fear so they can control us but we have the internet and we can use it to join the world together one to one. So don’t get depressed get active, as Beany posted we can make a difference. I support save the children and clean water in Africa. Every little bit can make a difference.

‘Be the Change, you want to see’ by ‘The Luminaries’ one of the songs inspired by the ’International Day of Peace’ great song, great vid.

#32    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

Don't try to force your flawed human logic on us!

• 2,451 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

View PostBeany, on 16 March 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

Not at all, just taking control of my world and my life, and making conscious choices about what kinds of influences I let into my life and how I react to them, in an ethical and moral way. And a determination not to give in to despair, because that disempowers us all, and there are lots of people & institutions that have a vested interest in convincing us of our powerlessness, because that makes us easily manipulated.
There would probably need to be people with this attitude happening on a massive scale before you would actually see some change in the world :tu:

View PostFrank Merton, on 15 March 2013 - 05:57 AM, said:

A lot of evil is done by people trying to do good.
I dont understand what you mean

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#33    markprice

markprice

Poltergeist

• 3,118 posts

• To deny meaning is an act of ignorance.

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

View Postpallidin, on 16 March 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

Are we talking about "evil" on a human level, or a spiritual one? Or both?

If it was spiritual it would be Evil and Divine.

I've never seen anyone get that right; the misinterpretations of "good and evil" at a human level are like comparing apples and insanity (evil contains an element of insanity). It just doesn't work that way. Good and bad apples works fine for those who don't accept divinity. If you accept divinity this concept goes to another level where the use of the word evil is appropriate.

"How can someone prove that a rainbow exists to a blind man?"

#34    sutemi

sutemi

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

R4z3rs.  How about 100 million in 119 countries? I think this is the figure for 2009, last year was far more.  For those interested here’s a short documentary.

#35    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,451 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

View Postsutemi, on 17 March 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

R4z3rs.  How about 100 million in 119 countries? I think this is the figure for 2009, last year was far more.  For those interested here’s a short documentary.

okay thats a step in the right direction i guess

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#36    Beastly Decimal

Beastly Decimal

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:37 AM

For me, using the terms "Good" and "Evil" have always been confusing because they change and vary according to circumstance; and also because there's no one macrocosmic enough to view all the interlinked events and tell what is good and what is evil. I view good and evil as "Constructive" and "Destructive"; makes the whole thing simpler to hash out. Everything is a mix of the two; all you have to do is put them on a scale and see which one is heavier. Rape, for example, is constructive in that it gives the rapist a short-lived thrill, but destructive in that it violates the victims right to consent and destroys their life for years after (maybe forever). And the destructive part is heavier than the constructive part.

As for the why does evil exist question, I think the problem is viewing humanity as the end-all, be-all. You have to look at the span of the planet and see that we're just a blink in the eye of the universe. As far as we know we're the only 'conscious' creatures that have ever existed, but we're still bound by the laws of nature. Nature is violent, nature is cruel. "Evil" takes place all throughout the kingdom. The only difference between us and them is the fact that 1) we can fully understand and experience the effects of evil, and 2) we're the only creatures who do evil for little or no reason. As for why that is... No idea.

"Anything less than a human is a monster," said the first man.
"What about something that's more than a human?" said the second.
"An alien," the first replied. "Anything more than a human is an alien."
"Who decides if something is more or less than a human?" the second asked.
"Why, humans do, of course!"

#37    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

One of the "isms" that I remember reading about claimed that good and evil are just meaningless abstract concepts.  Our behavior is based upon a biochemical response to external stimuli, and our response is pre-determined by our biology, so it doesn't matter what we call it.  Our actions are simply reactions, and have no inherent motive; therefore, there is no good or evil action.  I can't say that I agree with that philosophy, but you can kind of see that outlook in some of the more famous serial killers, for example.

One's reality is another's nightmare.

#38    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 3,408 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!
    It is not my intent to make anyone feel bad because of what I am writing.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:18 AM

View PostThe Skater Boy, on 14 March 2013 - 08:48 PM, said:

There has to be a balance, imo. There is no good without evil, no light without dark and vice versa. Nature is both chaos and order, both ugly and beautiful. :tu:

I get that. Enlightenment sees that there is some good in the bad, and there is some bad in the good. And that it is easier not to define things as good and evil. To me, enlightenment falls at the meeting point of the two opposites. Enlightenment is just seeing things as they are, rather than seeing things by the definitions we use to explain them to others.

things just are.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#39    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 3,408 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:22 AM

View Postmarkprice, on 17 March 2013 - 06:59 PM, said:

If it was spiritual it would be Evil and Divine.

I've never seen anyone get that right; the misinterpretations of "good and evil" at a human level are like comparing apples and insanity (evil contains an element of insanity). It just doesn't work that way. Good and bad apples works fine for those who don't accept divinity. If you accept divinity this concept goes to another level where the use of the word evil is appropriate.

I just think that the definition is what makes the thing seem evil.
I am not duelist, either/or. I am both either and or, good and bad. Everything is a part of both opposites.

Shakespeare says that there is no right or wrong, just thinking makes it so.
Dr. Robert Anthony says that there is no right or wrong, there are just different sets of consequences.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema

#40    markprice

markprice

Poltergeist

• 3,118 posts

• To deny meaning is an act of ignorance.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:19 AM

View Postregeneratia, on 20 March 2013 - 02:22 AM, said:

I just think that the definition is what makes the thing seem evil.
I am not duelist, either/or. I am both either and or, good and bad. Everything is a part of both opposites.

Shakespeare says that there is no right or wrong, just thinking makes it so.
Dr. Robert Anthony says that there is no right or wrong, there are just different sets of consequences.

Okay, but what if evil had a will of its own? Good and bad do not have a will of their own because they are opinions, but Divine has its own energy so Evil does too.  Consider an evil will based on its evil energy influencing people. If you don't want to get hurt you would have to fight that or serve it...know what I mean? That said, if you can see the difference you would have to choose one or the other. See how adding the original meaning: Divine  changes how you look at evil...

"How can someone prove that a rainbow exists to a blind man?"

#41    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 10,396 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:39 AM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 17 March 2013 - 05:26 PM, said:

There would probably need to be people with this attitude happening on a massive scale before you would actually see some change in the world :tu:

I dont understand what you mean
Hitler thought he was doing the right thing for the human race by trying to eliminate the Jews.  Pol Pot thought he was doing the right thing for Cambodia by wiping out the older generation to create a clean slate for his utopian new people.

#42    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:18 AM

Problem with people they are trying to associate it with the + - part of the morality scale and not the actual scale itself.

Evil would be when the scale is unbalanced(I think we can all agree that Hilter and Pol Pot were unbalanced mentally right?). Good is used twice. As the positive on the scale side and when the scales of judgement is balanced. So when it comes up in language it gets confusing. ( Doesn't even change my understanding consent bit :P )

#43    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,451 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 20 March 2013 - 05:39 AM, said:

Hitler thought he was doing the right thing for the human race by trying to eliminate the Jews.  Pol Pot thought he was doing the right thing for Cambodia by wiping out the older generation to create a clean slate for his utopian new people.
Yeah thats true but Hitler hid most of his ideas until he got into a position of power so he must have thought that others wouldnt like his ideas, same thing for Pol Pot

#44    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,645 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

man invented evil

God made night
Man made darkness ~ Spike Milligan

evil exists because the world created as it is now can't exist without evil

The knower and the known are one. Simple people imagine that they should see God, as if He stood there and they here. This is not so. God and I, we are one in knowledge. ~ Eckhart

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#45    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 3,408 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

View Postmarkprice, on 20 March 2013 - 05:19 AM, said:

Okay, but what if evil had a will of its own? Good and bad do not have a will of their own because they are opinions, but Divine has its own energy so Evil does too.  Consider an evil will based on its evil energy influencing people. If you don't want to get hurt you would have to fight that or serve it...know what I mean? That said, if you can see the difference you would have to choose one or the other. See how adding the original meaning: Divine  changes how you look at evil...

By taking away your ability to have power over evil, not just it's definition but also it's results, you have fallen into a very duelistic trap. If you claim to have a part in each, to see each as a part of the other, then you can control it. I honestly do not think you can seperate good from evil because they are part of the very same thing, part of the same spectrum of human and incorporal capabilities.

Professor Hilton Hotema

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users