Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Voyages before voyages

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31    Swede

Swede

Poltergeist

• 2,410 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:13 AM

View Postthe L, on 27 July 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

Swede,

Michael R. Matthews say they were inprecise. I have three sources where they claim they were precise.

Timeline.

#32    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:21 AM

I dont follow you.
Swede what do you say about Rotz map?

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#33    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,864 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:09 AM

View Postthe L, on 27 July 2013 - 06:34 PM, said:

Jay you either ignored my previous post where I simply explained how time keeping is used for sailing and calculating longitude or either you can understand it.
Either way you need to read it again.

I understand it perfectly well. Your explanation amounts to, "you look at a clock and, boom!, you have longitude." It's like saying, "You dig up some uranium, and boom!, you have a nuclear bomb." Needless to say, you're leaving out a step or two. As I pointed out, at the very least, you need a sufficiently accurate time piece, a thing which did not exist until the 18th Century.

I mean, if you want to keep in this state of marvelling ignorance by denying the facts and the complexity of the issue, that's fine. But don't try to con people who don't know better than you know what you're talking about. All you're doing is being a pimp for third-hand fringe stupidity: you're not creating it, or taking responsibilty for it, you're just making it available for people who want it.

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#34    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,864 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:14 AM

View Postthe L, on 27 July 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

Wrong. I read it once that Dutch use it for sailing. Plus my college profesor said it. Plus Carl Sagan said it.
Tree sources.

Harte what do you say about others map?

Like I was saying to Oscar Wilde and Neil de Grasse Tyson at an absinthe party just this afternoon, nothing builds confidence or credibilty like unsourced, undocumented citations.

...unless you're actually suggesting a tree /was/ your source, which would be awesome. Trees always struck me as knowing what's up.

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#35    Swede

Swede

Poltergeist

• 2,410 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:39 AM

View Postthe L, on 28 July 2013 - 12:21 AM, said:

I dont follow you.

#1: Kindly study the timeline of nautically effective chronometers.

#2: Rotz map:

http://nla.gov.au/nla.map-f503

#3: Further reading regarding the various misinterpretations and misrepresentations of earlier cartography (as previously alluded to/elaborated upon by Harte and Jayle):

http://www.pibburns.com/smmia5.htm

http://www.intersurf...edony/FOG5.html

http://www.talkorigi...m/oronteus.html

http://www.intersurf...edony/FOG4.html

http://europeanhisto...y/aa030301c.htm

#36    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,655 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:59 AM

View Postthe L, on 28 July 2013 - 12:21 AM, said:

I dont follow you.
What about the Rotz map is correct??

It shows Australia (Called Java on the map) reaching from 130 degrees longitude to 200 degrees longitude. Whereas Australia goes from roughly 115 to 155.

It shows Australia reaching from 10 degrees latitude down to 60 degrees latitude. Where Australia actually goes from 10 to 40.

And the size of the Rotz Australia would be like three times the actual size of Australia.

And the coastline does not match at basically any point. In fact if you flipped the image 180 and then tilted it 90 degrees it would be a much, much better fit. Like so...

Attached File  RotzFlipped.JPG   54.89K   15 downloads

I don't know the geographical terms of Australia, but basically this puts the point on top, and the bay on the bottom.

Here is a world map where I've roughly penciled in Rotz....
Attached File  WorldMap With Rotz.JPG   101.72K   16 downloads

It's not even close...

Edited by DieChecker, 28 July 2013 - 07:10 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#37    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

View Postjaylemurph, on 28 July 2013 - 01:14 AM, said:

Like I was saying to Oscar Wilde and Neil de Grasse Tyson at an absinthe party just this afternoon, nothing builds confidence or credibilty like unsourced, undocumented citations.

...unless you're actually suggesting a tree /was/ your source, which would be awesome. Trees always struck me as knowing what's up.

--Jaylemurph

It was a lapsus.

Swede and Die
So Im only one who see Australia on Rotz map...
Do little twist of your head.

Edited by the L, 28 July 2013 - 07:58 PM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

#38    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,655 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:30 PM

View Postthe L, on 28 July 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

Swede and Die
So Im only one who see Australia on Rotz map...
Do little twist of your head.
I admit that the Rotz map shows something where Australia is at, but aside from that, almost every single detail on that map is wrong. How could a map show coastline to exacting detail, including rivers and islands, and yet be so completely wrong?

I already did a twist in my head, that's how I saw that it resembles Australia if reversed mirror image and then tilted 90 degrees.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#39    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:27 AM

View Postjaylemurph, on 28 July 2013 - 01:14 AM, said:

--Jaylemurph

Jayle, was that the same party where Leif Ericsson hit on Admiral Byrd, and Andy Warhol shoved a broken tequila bottle in his face? I was in the bathroom, huddling in the empty bathtub to protect myself from incoming fire from the downstairs neighbor who was aggravated by all the noise. Unfortunately the rounds hit a maple outside. Last I heard, a tree surgeon was still working on it. . .

Edited by szentgyorgy, 29 July 2013 - 12:31 AM.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#40    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,864 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:45 AM

View Postszentgyorgy, on 29 July 2013 - 12:27 AM, said:

Jayle, was that the same party where Leif Ericsson hit on Admiral Byrd, and Andy Warhol shoved a broken tequila bottle in his face? I was in the bathroom, huddling in the empty bathtub to protect myself from incoming fire from the downstairs neighbor who was aggravated by all the noise. Unfortunately the rounds hit a maple outside. Last I heard, a tree surgeon was still working on it. . .

It could well have been. I excused myself into a private corner with Truman Capote to gossip about the other guests, and anything could have happened.

--Jaylemurph

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#41    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,501 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

It doesn't look like Australia at all.

#42    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:00 PM

It is said that Piri Reis map was badly drawn because it has two Amazon rivers, ignoring the fact that beside Amazon river in South America we have more big rivers: Orinoco river and La Plata river. :rolleyes:

Edited by Melo, 17 August 2013 - 07:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users