Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why havent we gone back to the Moon yet?

stevemagegod

Seriously we haven't landed another Human on the Moon in 41 years. In that time frame are technology has become so much safer and better. Not to mention we have a international space station now which could be used as a Gas Station. To and from the Moon which we didn't have back then. Sure a Moon trip is pretty expensive but still why hasn't another country besides the US landed someone on the moon?

• Like 2

Other than political chest beating, there hasn't been a practical need to return to the moon since. We did it to show up the Soviets who at the time, had pursued more space endeavors than us. Forget the fake conspiracy theories of us being "warned off the moon".

Edited by Cpl599

Other than political chest beating, there hasn't been a practical need to return to the moon since. We did it to show up the Soviets who at the time, had pursued more space endeavors than us. Forget the fake conspiracy theories of us being "warned off the moon".

What about other countries though? Don't they have any sense of competition? I mean even the Soviets should of made an attempt to land someone on the Moon regardless of whether or not we beat them. I mean we were the first to go to the Moon. We were also the first to get Nuclear Weapons. Humans don't listen. So even if we were told to stay off the Moon since when do we listen to what were told? Look at the North Koreans for example. We have told them time and time again(were bigger than they are) to stop making Nucks and yet they are still making them.

• Like 1

Been there saw that now lets go to Mars.

• Like 4

Wrong section?

Nope because aliens told us not to go back.

• Like 3

Well, other than national pride, the moon is a small dead rock. Very uninteresting now.

Now Mars, on the other hand, is a planet with exciting potential for vast natural mineral resources that could make sustainable human-habitation at least plausable, given the right chemical lab.

Unfortunately for me, I will be long dead before we step foot on Mars, much less attempt habitation.

It is tough and we barely were able to pull it off at the time with 400,000 people working on it. But it re-established the street cred of US high-tech and that had profound economic, diplomatic, and military fallout. Twenty years later, the Apollo triumph nailed the coffin shut for the USSR when they realized if we could land on the moon, we could [if we really tried] build a space missile shield to castrate their nuclear strike forces -- and they threw in the towel.

Such motives aren't nearly as powerful in today's multi-polar world.

China is following its own path to establish an equality with US and Euro and Russian tech, at a modest budget level. Nobody really sees any payoff for the tremendous cost and risk of a re-run, for now.

Developing human access to beyond-low-earth-orbit, to any number of destinations, is the current NASA direction [spacecraft and booster now being developed], and I think it's the prudent one. When the time comes to resume human and human-tended lunar surface operations, it won't be an 'Apollo-on-steroids', and will probably use other technoloies for lunar orbit to lunar surface [and back] transportation.

• Like 1

Nope because aliens told us not to go back.

Hi Steve!

Just wondering if you were being serious? ...if you were?, I have to say that.. Of course as an individual, your opinion is as valid as anyone's. but for me, I've heard and read all of "rumours" associated with this wild [and intentionally $$$ designed] claim!...and for the life of me, cannot see any value in even paying scant lip-service to the vastly unsupported fantasy!

In my humble opinion, the answer is quite easy to fathom out for yourself, and has already been given to you by more erudite posters than me!...It is plain and simply MONEY!....No hoax Moon Landing, and No Territory-Dispute with Aliens whatsoever!...Just Money!..

And to say why haven't we done it. Have a look at the airline industry. There is no supersonic airliner since Concorde was grounded. Concorde, like Apollo, was 1960's technology. Our fastest airliners are a little over one-third as fast as Concorde was. Was Concorde a hoax?

Concorde was dangerous and highly expensive. Same with Apollo. Airlines have moved on to provide wide-bodied mass carriers that make airline travel relatively much cheaper than in the 60's. The Space program is aimed at achieving the most for the least cost. That is why we have not been back to the moon - you can send 20 probes to Pluto for the cost of one manned lunar mission.

And the reason that China ,Russia, India or whomever you like, haven't seen fit to repeat the magnificent achievement of 1969 is pretty obvious to me also....Who wants to spend gazillions of "$$$" to get the silver medal?...No!...i'm afraid that their eyes will be firmly-fixed on the next race!..[whichever that may be?]....Planting their flag on Mars perhaps..?

[hope i'm around to see it!] :tu:

Cheers.

• Like 2

Well, other than national pride, the moon is a small dead rock. Very uninteresting now.

Now Mars, on the other hand, is a planet with exciting potential for vast natural mineral resources that could make sustainable human-habitation at least plausable, given the right chemical lab.

Unfortunately for me, I will be long dead before we step foot on Mars, much less attempt habitation.

Exactly we have had 41 years to prepare for mars since we landed on the Moon. Why don't we have any Bases up there yet? Having a Base on the Moon is like 1/3 of the way there to the Mars(Dont Quote me on that cuz i think i am wrong :whistle: )

What about other countries though? Don't they have any sense of competition? I mean even the Soviets should of made an attempt to land someone on the Moon regardless of whether or not we beat them.

Other countries are already planning manned moon, and even Mars missions. But I believe those are announcements mostly made out of national pride. The only country with the financial ability to follow through right now is China. India talks a lot of talk but with half of the worlds poor living within their borders, they have bigger financial fish to fry, and our Nasa has been systematically dismantled through budget cuts over the years.

As for the Soviets, they were busy building an army capable of taking on NATO, and were going broke doing it. They could not afford a manned moon landing, and as the years passed, their financial situation got worse and worse, until the day the Berlin wall fell.

Seriously we haven't landed another Human on the Moon in 41 years. In that time frame are technology has become so much safer and better. Not to mention we have a international space station now which could be used as a Gas Station. To and from the Moon which we didn't have back then. Sure a Moon trip is pretty expensive but still why hasn't another country besides the US landed someone on the moon?

Aliens frightened us off. :alien:

Exactly we have had 41 years to prepare for mars since we landed on the Moon. Why don't we have any Bases up there yet? Having a Base on the Moon is like 1/3 of the way there to the Mars(Dont Quote me on that cuz i think i am wrong :whistle: )

You are wrong.

The distance from earth to moon is c. 400,000km and the distance from earth to Mars is anything from 50,000,000km to 400,000,000km (depending on where we are in our respective orbits) therefore the Moon is more like 1/120 to 1/1000 the distance to Mars.

You know you could have found that out via a few seconds on Google or Wikipedia? As it is you reveal how little you understand the scale of things out there in space when you say something like this.

Seriously we haven't landed another Human on the Moon in 41 years. In that time frame are technology has become so much safer and better. Not to mention we have a international space station now which could be used as a Gas Station.

How could the ISS be used as a "gas station"? Have you any idea how expensive it is to just get supplies and stuff to and from the space station? The ISS is completely inequipped to handle the volume of rocket fuel that typical space missions use, and it wouldn't make any sense anyway. If you can get a rocket up into space with spare fuel left over to leave at the space station, why not just use that fuel as part of the space mission that would be refuelling at the ISS? The vast majority of the fuel needs for any given space mission is to escape the earth's gravity, therefore once in outer space there really isn't much call for a refuelling station in low earth orbit.
To and from the Moon which we didn't have back then. Sure a Moon trip is pretty expensive but still why hasn't another country besides the US landed someone on the moon?
Beyond scoring very expensive political points, what's the advantage of putting another manned mission on the moon? Much more productive if you do want to explore the moon to use scientific orbiters and robotic rovers as they do on Mars (and on the moon currently apart from the rovers, there are several scientific orbiters studying the moon in various ways and in great detail).

NASA is already suffering budget cuts, so it's going to have its work cut out trying to convince the government to up their budget considerably for a mission that isn't going to reap much rewards.

I could see the Chinese maybe doing it just for bragging rights just like the USA did with the Soviets back in the 1960s.

There was a dude here some time ago, who argued that Apollo 18 was part of government psy-ops, designed to frighten a generation into never becoming astronauts so that the aliens or whatever wouldn't be found by them on the moon.

There was a dude here some time ago, who argued that Apollo 18 was part of government psy-ops, designed to frighten a generation into never becoming astronauts so that the aliens or whatever wouldn't be found by them on the moon.

There has always been "a dude" claiming all sorts of nonsense here at UM....... we all remember one.

Some of them are here now.... and we will remember them in the future...... with a smile on our faces. :santa:

I'm sorry I missed that. It's easily the funniest thing I've heard about on here all day.

I'm sorry I missed that. It's easily the funniest thing I've heard about on here all day.

:lol: That says alot, being in the UFO forum and all....

:lol: That says alot, being in the UFO forum and all....

Well, I was in the Crypto forum for a while, reading through Bigfoot threads and that went from funny to sad very fast so the above brought me back to funny.

Edited by Winterwind

Well, I was in the Crypto forum for a while, reading through Bigfoot threads and that went from funny to sad very fast so the above brought me back to funny.

Quirious..... Can you see a similar "path" here with the UFO=ET believers?