Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shadow Beings and Sleep Paralysis

Silent Ghost

I just wanted to gain some insight of your opinions on this phenomena and I'm not sure if this topic has been brought up yet.

There are many accounts of people who have encountered strange entities. Usually these encounters happen at night. The entity hovers over the person and the person cannot move or scream. They are completely paralyzed.

There seems to be several factors with this type of experience. For one, the person cannot move and this is happening at night. Could it have been Old Hag Syndrome (Sleep Paralysis, a state that is said to occur in order to prevent one from actually moving in a dream and Hypnagogia)?

But then there are also accounts when these entities are encountered when one can freely move and was not trying to sleep.

I was just wondering what your thoughts are regarding this phenomena. Specifically, your thoughts on Old Hag Syndrome and can it account for all Shadow Being cases that include paralysis? How about the cases in which one can freely move?

Edited by Byron Sanchez

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Silent Ghost

• JustNormal

• coldethyl

• boorite

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that this paranormal phenomenon is called "Dreaming"...CASE CLOSED
WHAT? :angry2:

linked-image

Edited by Barek Halfhand

I'm pretty sure that this paranormal phenomenon is called "Dreaming"...CASE CLOSED

You seem quite certain for someone who has no idea what they're talking about.

:angry2:

When it comes to Hypnagogia it is pretty much dreaming, which is what I essentially stated in my initial post. But when one takes a look into several accounts, dreaming cannot explain all of them. Sure there are liars who simply want nothing more than attention, and that will probably rule out many cases. But what if something like that were to happen? What is it then?

My attempts are not to fuel these claims into having more validity, but rather to make them have a more logical explanation. Of course there will be certain aspects that will be unanswerable. I cannot deny the mystery of the subject matter either. It is what makes it interesting.

Edited by Byron Sanchez

Hi Byron - I have suffered from sleep paralysis for years. It always happens shortly after I go to bed and am starting to drift off. I will become overwhelmed with the feeling that something is in the room, something malevolent, I cannot move or speak, I tend to hear things like voices, random noises from chainsaws to pinball machines. It is a frightening experience and makes for a restless nights sleep. I really do not think it is anything paranormal. Many people who have sleep paralysis experience many of the same things I do. I can definetely see how the "Old Hag" syndrome became related with this experience - you do have a sense of something sitting on you, holding you down. I have also heard the stories that it is a succubus or demon of some sort. Personally I don't believe in demons and I tend to lend myself to the side of science and a lot of people experience this and have similar experiences. I have since learned how to deal with it and in some instances make it stop completely.

Colbert, you say you are "pretty sure" therefore, you are not totally sure - so this "case" cannot be closed" :)

Hi Byron - I have suffered from sleep paralysis for years. It always happens shortly after I go to bed and am starting to drift off. I will become overwhelmed with the feeling that something is in the room, something malevolent, I cannot move or speak, I tend to hear things like voices, random noises from chainsaws to pinball machines. It is a frightening experience and makes for a restless nights sleep. I really do not think it is anything paranormal. Many people who have sleep paralysis experience many of the same things I do. I can definetely see how the "Old Hag" syndrome became related with this experience - you do have a sense of something sitting on you, holding you down. I have also heard the stories that it is a succubus or demon of some sort. Personally I don't believe in demons and I tend to lend myself to the side of science and a lot of people experience this and have similar experiences. I have since learned how to deal with it and in some instances make it stop completely.

Ahoy,

I too suffer from sleep paralysis. My mom and grandmother also. It has been studied and I must agree with gaia227. It is like lucid dreaming which is a state some what like sleep paralysis. I obviously can't say this explanes all the cases this thread speeks of, but I'm sure it does cover a larg number.

I think sleep paralysis is legit sleeping disorder and is common, but I also think that not all who claim these symtoms are always showing signs of SP... sometimes, I think it's something more spiritual/paranormal at work.

I'm not the type of person to jump to a Paranormal Explanation for many things that we come across in life as 'unexplained'. However I have suffered a few times something that I think maybe related to sleep paralysis, but I've never asked my Doctor for fear of being laughed at :)

Anyway basically during sleep most people dream, and sometimes I am conciously aware that I am dreaming, although unable to really influence things within my dream. On some occasions whilst asleep I become aware of myself, lying on the bed next to my wife, it feels like I am awake although I am not. I become very aware of a presence, something I cannot explain very well, but needless to say it appears to circle around the bed at an intense speed, dark and shapeless, causing me intense fear.

I am desperately attempting to wake up, calling for my wife, but I am unable to speak properly. I realise I am dreaming, but unable to pull myself out of the dream, I cannot move at all.

Somehow I break through to the real world, in other words my wife wakes due to me making noise, but not words, and she shakes me, bringing me into the present. I'll laugh it off and she'll go back to sleep, but occasionally I'll dip straight back into where I was.

I'm not a religious person, I'm someone who does need evidence for things, I'm very logically minded, and maybe what I experience is a form of stress. However it frightens me intensely, and its interesting to read others have suffered similar things as well.

By the way it doesn't happen that often, probably every few months, but its intense when it occurs.

Edited by John Batty

^ That sounds like lucid dreaming. :tu:

^ That sounds like lucid dreaming. :tu:

I agree. It does sound like Lucid Dreaming and there are people who constantly try to induce Lucid Dreams. Sometimes you can have a lot of control and do whatever you please.

As or Sleep Paralysis and Old Hag Syndrome, I agree with the responses that say many Shadow Being encounters may be this type of experience. This type of encounter can become so strong, that the being or entity may move you (pushing you through your bed, making you float, etc.)

Some people can get out of this state by constantly moving their eyes. Nothing else can move because of the paralysis. Others may simply fall asleep, or the experience will get so strong and overwhelming it may become a dream (since sleep paralysis is part of REM).

If I'm not mistaken, aren't there still some unanswered questions about why some people experience Old Hag Syndrome at all? I thank everyone for your replies. For me, a big part of the shadow being mystery is encounters with these entities while awake and not in the state of sleep paralysis.

You seem quite certain for someone who has no idea what they're talking about.

:angry2:

LOL Not to worry, he's out of here!!

I just wanted to gain some insight of your opinions on this phenomena and I'm not sure if this topic has been brought up yet.

There are many accounts of people who have encountered strange entities. Usually these encounters happen at night. The entity hovers over the person and the person cannot move or scream. They are completely paralyzed.

There seems to be several factors with this type of experience. For one, the person cannot move and this is happening at night. Could it have been Old Hag Syndrome (Sleep Paralysis, a state that is said to occur in order to prevent one from actually moving in a dream and Hypnagogia)?

But then there are also accounts when these entities are encountered when one can freely move and was not trying to sleep.

I was just wondering what your thoughts are regarding this phenomena. Specifically, your thoughts on Old Hag Syndrome and can it account for all Shadow Being cases that include paralysis? How about the cases in which one can freely move?

This subject is up for debate. From what I know, it is simply a sleeping disorder in which we are sleeping but not into the REM stage, but not fully awake either. It causes auditory and visual hallucinations, because everyone describes it exactly the same, as unable to move, or talk, panic, fear and like crushing on their chests. Also many say they actually see a black entity, or it moves and talks to them. On the other hand, Old Hag Syndrome is very similar but its said that this "old hag" gets on top of you, hence the chest pressure. My son suffers from that and the Neurologist told us it is all due to the neurotransmitters in the brain, and to just deal with it, as eventually they will subside. My personal opinion is it is all due to sleep paralysis...but who really knows?

I use to experience sleep parlysis some years ago.I think its caused from a nutrition deficiency,whether it be a vitamin or mineral or something else.

I'm not the type of person to jump to a Paranormal Explanation for many things that we come across in life as 'unexplained'. However I have suffered a few times something that I think maybe related to sleep paralysis, but I've never asked my Doctor for fear of being laughed at :)

Anyway basically during sleep most people dream, and sometimes I am conciously aware that I am dreaming, although unable to really influence things within my dream. On some occasions whilst asleep I become aware of myself, lying on the bed next to my wife, it feels like I am awake although I am not. I become very aware of a presence, something I cannot explain very well, but needless to say it appears to circle around the bed at an intense speed, dark and shapeless, causing me intense fear.

I am desperately attempting to wake up, calling for my wife, but I am unable to speak properly. I realise I am dreaming, but unable to pull myself out of the dream, I cannot move at all.

Somehow I break through to the real world, in other words my wife wakes due to me making noise, but not words, and she shakes me, bringing me into the present. I'll laugh it off and she'll go back to sleep, but occasionally I'll dip straight back into where I was.

I'm not a religious person, I'm someone who does need evidence for things, I'm very logically minded, and maybe what I experience is a form of stress. However it frightens me intensely, and its interesting to read others have suffered similar things as well.

By the way it doesn't happen that often, probably every few months, but its intense when it occurs.

here's another one.... same thing..... day after day....

edited to remove rude comment

Edited by Fluffybunny

Hi,

I may be a new poster, but I felt particularly touched by this topic, to want to say something.

Hey, you really should look into lucid dreaming. It's quite fascinating. I've done it numerous times. A google search will bring you loads of info!

Good luck and welcome to UM!!

Hey, you really should look into lucid dreaming. It's quite fascinating. I've done it numerous times. A google search will bring you loads of info!

Good luck and welcome to UM!!

I have to agree that lucid dreaming is great. However, while doing so, we have control over the dream and are able to change it. Sleep paralysis is different because they have no control, and not totally asleep nor awake. Good thought though..JN

If I may sum up the OP's point: Sightings of shadow beings can be explained as hallucinations associated with sleep paralysis, except when they can't. How true that is.

If I may sum up the OP's point: Sightings of shadow beings can be explained as hallucinations associated with sleep paralysis, except when they can't. How true that is.

Yes it is very common..

Yes, except there is an extension to that. :) When they can't, what are the possibilities for the causes? I'm not asking for a clear-cut explanation or anything.

I offered one explanation to the overall phenomena, and I'm sure it has been mentioned before. However, I wonder what other explanations are out there as well. How do others feel about the subject and such?

Edited by Byron Sanchez

Yes, except there is an extension to that. :) When they can't, what are the possibilities for the causes? I'm not asking for a clear-cut explanation or anything.

I offered one explanation to the overall phenomena, and I'm sure it has been mentioned before. However, I wonder what other explanations are out there as well. How do others feel about the subject and such?

Glad to see the smiley. I was hoping you'd take my reply that way.

I mean it's funny, but it's true: We can explain sightings of shadow beings, except when we can't. This is the state of our knowledge in so much of what we call the paranormal.

Sightings that originate in neither lies nor hallucinations are completely mysterious to me. I suppose I could be ultra-cynical and dismiss them all as lies and hallucinations if it weren't for the fact that they've been caught on film. For example, the Ghost Hunters team has filmed things conforming to the description of shadow beings on at least five separate occasions that I can recall off the top of my head. Whatever it is they filmed, it can't be a simple hallucination or made-up story, and if I'd seen it with my own eyes, I'd think it looked like what people call shadow beings.

How a nonphysical or quasi-physical entity, person, event recording, or whatever could possibly manifest having an apparent shape capable of blocking light just like a solid object is way beyond my understanding. Any explanation I come up with is going to refer to things I can't quite define. I could say it's a ghost or a spirit or even a kind of demon, but I'm not sure such language gets us any closer to answering the question. Same goes if I say it's a noncorporeal personality essence temporarily manifesting in the material via manipulation of certain transforms at the level of the implicate order. What the hell am I even talking about?

Maybe something useful can be said. For example, according to some of the stories, these things often seem nonhuman and hostile. They give people the creeps, even more than the average sighting of something unexplained. They've been said to suck "energy" out of people and even to physically attack them and throw them around. If it's true, then it means that humans may share the planet with other more or less sentient things, not all of them friendly.

Some of the ones I've seen on film don't behave in a way that I understand-- they seem to move in a strange and sped-up way that doesn't bear much of a relationship to their surroundings and doesn't show any clear intention. It leads me to think that maybe we're seeing blips from some other layer of reality, one that somehow temporarily overlaps our own in such a way as to manifest for a moment. I suppose such a speculation could lead scientists to look for other "layers" of reality, but beyond that, I don't know how useful it is.

Anyway, it seems to me that the shadow beings that can't be explained prosaically might be any number of things, some of which do not seem like somebody's aunt Gladys saying hello from the afterlife.

Well of course this could be sleep paralysis, or lucid dreaming, or some thing else. I have experienced this many times, and can pretty much dismiss any actual spiritual entities. I speak on my own experiences of course.

In my instances I later realized that I was actually stuck in between dream state and awake. What happens is you could be stuck any where in between, being in a dream yet still aware of your actual surroundings. It's a weird feeling, and you are frozen, can't move. I've been trapped in between a dream state and awake still hearing the voices from my dream but my eyes open and staring at the ceiling unable to move.

I'm very interested in dream research in particular lucid dreaming which is some thing totally different. Basically it is when you are dream and become aware you are dream and then can orchestrate the way the dream plays out. I've experienced this on rare occasions as well.

I personally do not believe spiritual entities will bother us during or around sleep. Just my onion.

Hey, that's my onion too! :D

I have a really hard time believing any paranormal experience that begins with "I was in the bed..." or "I was asleep when..."

I have had sleep paralysis all of my life (hag included). That's very scary.

I also have, I guess, what is called lucid dreams. I'm able to dream and wake up for an hour, and go back to sleep, to that same dream, and have control over what happens in that dream. Sort of like an interactive movie dream type thingy. I love that part of it!

Does anyone think maybe this is a sleep disorder? And what physically would cause it?

While I'm sure once blanket answer for all the cases is out of the question, I can say with a degree of confidence that I think Sleep Paralysis and Dreaming in general is quite a large factor in explaining these events. I also think a lot of people give their dreams too much credibility and see them as being unreasonably beyond manifestations of their sub conscience because of their 'I wanna believe' syndrome.

While I'm sure once blanket answer for all the cases is out of the question, I can say with a degree of confidence that I think Sleep Paralysis and Dreaming in general is quite a large factor in explaining these events. I also think a lot of people give their dreams too much credibility and see them as being unreasonably beyond manifestations of their sub conscience because of their 'I wanna believe' syndrome.

Ahoy,

I think sleep and dreams are both fascinating. I have both sleep paralysis and lucid dreaming. I just checked my psychology book and it is interesting that scientist can’t agree on why we sleep and why we dream. Even with all our modern understanding, most everything about sleep and dreaming are still theories. It seems that no one theory can account for everything. I do think that when we enter sleep, we are activating the brain in ways that don’t get activated while awake. Here is the kicker, though. It seems that if all this unexplained ‘stuff” happens when we sleep and dream, I guess we really can’t classify any of it as “supernatural.” We would have to place it as natural but “unknown.” I think sleep and dream threads are great. It is just such a neat topic.