Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Outrage’ over Fed EBT push for immigrants

Socio

http://www.bostonher...home&position=2

lawmakers are fuming over an Obama administration policy promoting welfare and EBT benefits for immigrants, with a “welcome” package and promotional website that encourage new arrivals to take advantage of the nation’s generous government largesse.

The fight over welfare for recent immigrants is unfolding in Washington, where a group of GOP senators has sent a letter to U.S. Department of Agriculture Secretary Thomas Vilsack demanding answers as to why food stamps and other welfare benefits are being promoted to new immigrants. The agency’s Welcome toUSA.gov website includes a comprehensive handbook directing immigrants on how to obtain food stamps, Medicare, disability and other taxpayer-funded aid.

“The federal government now is giving packets to people when they come to the United States ... that promote welfare benefits,” said U.S. Sen. Jeff Sessions

And people wonder why entitlement costs are going though the roof and we are sailing head first off the fiscal cliff?

This is nothing more than the Libs buying vote power on a worldwide scale!

• Like 4

My how things have changed from the days of Ellis Island immigrants. They traveled here in miserable conditions and in droves in hopes of actually finding a job. Now it's give me your tired, your sick and your poor and we will give them whatever they want. Yea sure there is still opportunity but that would just be cruel to make them seek it out.

• Like 4

My how things have changed from the days of Ellis Island immigrants. They traveled here in miserable conditions and in droves in hopes of actually finding a job. Now it's give me your tired, your sick and your poor and we will give them whatever they want. Yea sure there is still opportunity but that would just be cruel to make them seek it out.

I have felt for a long time that even though letting anyone in the country is part of our rich history it might be time to change that way of thinking. In this day and age if you let a whole lot of unskilled, uneducated workers a lot of them will end up needing assistance. We could at least limit the number and give some priority to those who we know can support themselves.

I have felt for a long time that even though letting anyone in the country is part of our rich history it might be time to change that way of thinking. In this day and age if you let a whole lot of unskilled, uneducated workers a lot of them will end up needing assistance. We could at least limit the number and give some priority to those who we know can support themselves.

Yes, from now on college degrees should be a requirement or Pass a history test, be able to lift 80lbs and register with monster.com and LinkdIn.com before you get through the gate.

you know, most of the Ellis-Island era immigrants were unskilled and uneducated. They ended up in slums and exploited.
  • Like 1

I will start by saying that this is an issue I do think should be left to the states. With that being said, you guys make many assumptions that are incorrect...

We have a long history of discriminating against people that could come to this country. For many years we did not allow Chinese to come to the US or severly restricted the number that could. We have always done this with many different groups. There was a time when we did not let Russians or Eastern Europeans in. This information is easy to find with a google search. Also, even when we were letting "everyone" in, we turned back people that showed any kind of sickness. We did not just let them in.

Yes, from now on college degrees should be a requirement or Pass a history test, be able to lift 80lbs and register with monster.com and LinkdIn.com before you get through the gate.

First, you assume that many do not have a college degree. Many do. You must remember that "immigrant" does not mean "Mexican." Many that come from other countries, especially Africa, Asia, and Europe have college degrees or come here to go to college. You do need to pass a history test to be a citizen here but the truth of the matter is that most Americans cannot past that test. You want them to pass a history test and have a college degree? So you want them more qualified than many Americans? THAT is how they take your job.

Even the unskilled workers add to our economy. Most of them pay taxes and they do jobs that most Americans would not do. Alabama did a great job of crashing their economy when they passed strict laws against immigrants...A few months later, farmers were complaining because food was rotting in the fields because they had no one to pick it...its a shocker they are thinking about repealing those laws. The truth of the matter is that Americans will NOT do those jobs for the price that is required.

Minnesota is more of a welfare state. We have many immigrants. But if you look at the numbers, immigrants actually add over a billion dollars a year to our economy. Like I mentioned above...many are not unskilled workers. We have mean people coming from the Middle East and they are living in the business district. They open up businesses and cater to the wealther business people, many of which are immigrants themselves. Our hospitals also have nurses that have come from Africa. My doctor is an immigrant...he is Russian. Sure immigrants have changed the landscape in Minnesota, but I think it is for the better. They add a lot of good things and a lot of diversity. Our crime rates are also low.

But I do think this should be left to the states. If Alabama wants to get rid of all of their immigrants and cripple their economy...so be it...

I love how your side paints life as an immigrant. Would enjoy seeing how you survive in their actual conditions.

I suppose we could save a lot of money by not telling people about benefits that they were eligible for or how to apply for it. Just imagine how much we could save off of social security if the elderly didn't know how to apply or when they were eligible.

• Like 1

I will start by saying that this is an issue I do think should be left to the states. With that being said, you guys make many assumptions that are incorrect...

We have a long history of discriminating against people that could come to this country. For many years we did not allow Chinese to come to the US or severly restricted the number that could. We have always done this with many different groups. There was a time when we did not let Russians or Eastern Europeans in. This information is easy to find with a google search. Also, even when we were letting "everyone" in, we turned back people that showed any kind of sickness. We did not just let them in.

First, you assume that many do not have a college degree. Many do. You must remember that "immigrant" does not mean "Mexican." Many that come from other countries, especially Africa, Asia, and Europe have college degrees or come here to go to college. You do need to pass a history test to be a citizen here but the truth of the matter is that most Americans cannot past that test. You want them to pass a history test and have a college degree? So you want them more qualified than many Americans? THAT is how they take your job.

Even the unskilled workers add to our economy. Most of them pay taxes and they do jobs that most Americans would not do. Alabama did a great job of crashing their economy when they passed strict laws against immigrants...A few months later, farmers were complaining because food was rotting in the fields because they had no one to pick it...its a shocker they are thinking about repealing those laws. The truth of the matter is that Americans will NOT do those jobs for the price that is required.

Minnesota is more of a welfare state. We have many immigrants. But if you look at the numbers, immigrants actually add over a billion dollars a year to our economy. Like I mentioned above...many are not unskilled workers. We have mean people coming from the Middle East and they are living in the business district. They open up businesses and cater to the wealther business people, many of which are immigrants themselves. Our hospitals also have nurses that have come from Africa. My doctor is an immigrant...he is Russian. Sure immigrants have changed the landscape in Minnesota, but I think it is for the better. They add a lot of good things and a lot of diversity. Our crime rates are also low.

But I do think this should be left to the states. If Alabama wants to get rid of all of their immigrants and cripple their economy...so be it...

Kevin my friend, not everything I say is serious. Do you really think I think they should have a bench press and dead lift barbells at the borders? Of course I know many are educated too. I've been to hospitals before. The staff is as brown as it is white. And so be it if they're more qualified than other Americans. At least they're not squatting plus they will be useful members of society and quite possibly create jobs for less able natural Americans. I know mexicans aren't the only immigrants. And I'd argue that the 10,000 pages of regulation from the Department of Agriculture are the factor that most hinders comepetive wages in the farmers market.

They remove far more than they add!

http://online.wsj.co...0591669350.html

Despite the weak U.S. job market, tighter immigration enforcement and violence at the border that have slowed migrant arrivals, central banks in Latin America reported brisk growth in remittances this year. Mexico reported a 5% increase—mostly from the U.S.—to $13.7 billion for the first seven months of 2012. Salvadorans sent $2.6 billion home from January through August, up 7% from the same period last year, according to the central bank of El Salvador. Guatemalan expatriates' remittances, which account for 12% of their country's gross domestic product, also are up this year.

The Inter-American Dialogue, a Washington-based think tank, predicts a 7% or 8% increase in remittances to Latin America and the Caribbean this year. The region received $69 billion in transfers in 2011, up from $64 billion in 2010.

In reality, they come here live off our welfare so they can send most of the the money they make out of the country, not put it in our economy.

Edited by Socio

In reality, they come here live off our welfare so they can send most of the the money they make out of the country, not put it in our economy.

your statement could also be said like this:

They leave their families and go to the US and work very hard at usually crappy jobs that many US citizens won´t do in order to support their families in their country of origin. They come for the work and the wages. With wages they make in the US, they usually qualify for many of the benefits mentioned and need them. How can you knock someone who leaves the country and people that they love to go to another country and be a workhorse to take care of those loved ones?

I cannot speak for all states, but I can speak for my state and you are wrong about it. You also assume that all immigrants do not bring their families here. They may send money back, but that is until they get their families here. And even if they do, they are still providing labor, often cheap labor, for businesses. They help small business owners, which are part of our economy. Finally, if you look at polls and comments by people that have actually come from places such as Africa, they are far more greedy than Americans. They actually send money back to their home countires less. They do not believe in sending chairty to the countries they came from. They come to America and they pick up the greedy attitude quite quickly. They would rather keep their money and spend it here, not send it back home.

and FFS, speak ENGLISH before you come here!

Spoken like a true bigot!!

One thing helping to create this mess is issuing non-citizens social security cards . Why? So they can pay into the systems [FICA/Medicare] $$$$$$

Now 'they' are given credit for time worked outside of country. {bush adm.] So many are "vested' in S.S. .. in a few years.

The reason for the welfare is the same reason $$$$$$ ... Food Stamps/Cards = MONEY into the 'economy' / Corporations.

Same reason for dolling out Medicaid to non citizens.. Free Care and Drugs = MONEY to the "health care INDUSTRY and the Drug Companies•

It's always about channeling money into the 'right' pockets. That has become the primary function of out government• Hello?

* Oh, .. simple solution.. don't give SS cards or welfare to non citizens• I'm not heartless, and immigrants are welcome in the U.S. , but the handouts cause too many Dependent immigrants .

'We' cause so many of our own problems by pandering to BIG interests •

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

That's not being a bigot...

I don't know about you but when I go to a foreign country, I try to learn the law and language of the land so I can fit in. I personally applaud all the Mexican nationals and Central Americans that have come through our ESL program and successfully can communicate in English and who are working to get their "papers"/"papeles". I can see who is trying and who is not and there are people that have been here years upon years and do not want to speak one word of English which is only doing them harm because they are missing out on what is going on in the rest of the country or city out there and limiting themselves just to their little barrio.

• Like 1

I cannot speak for all states, but I can speak for my state and you are wrong about it. You also assume that all immigrants do not bring their families here. They may send money back, but that is until they get their families here. And even if they do, they are still providing labor, often cheap labor, for businesses. They help small business owners, which are part of our economy. Finally, if you look at polls and comments by people that have actually come from places such as Africa, they are far more greedy than Americans. They actually send money back to their home countires less. They do not believe in sending chairty to the countries they came from. They come to America and they pick up the greedy attitude quite quickly. They would rather keep their money and spend it here, not send it back home.

Greedy American attitude, huh? And this post is about what now????

I went to tax school and was offered a management position ( my own tax store) a few years back. During management training, I was floored at the amount of fraud that is committed here, in the United States; in specific, EIC (Earned Income Credit). I can tell you this, it is the American citizens committing the legalized' fraud and scapegoating on the immigrant. We need to start in our own back yard.

The US needs serious tax reform and better regulations in place.

I literally turned down the job. I want no part of exploiting anyone.

http://www.irs.gov/I...ons-and-Answers

Edited by Sherapy

Greedy American attitude, huh? And this post is about what now????

American are individualistic...Do you disagree with that? I consider individualistic to be selfish or greedy. The post was in response to the statement that immigrants just send money back to their home countries. No, they do not. Many of them support their home countries less than Americans that are not from there do...

why? cuz you're mexican and you feel it is directed against your pisanos?? well yea, it is. i personally sick of ppl that i have to work with, that don't speak a word of English, and don't even want to learn.

when in rome do as romans do. imo fair enough

• Like 2

American are individualistic...Do you disagree with that? I consider individualistic to be selfish or greedy. The post was in response to the statement that immigrants just send money back to their home countries. No, they do not. Many of them support their home countries less than Americans that are not from there do...

I can't say I agree with that when you've got a smorgasbord of companies to send money back to other countries such as Moneygram, Western Union, Chase Bank, ATMcash and if it wasn't a multi-million maybe even billion dollar business, none of these companies would be involved in it.

Whether we like it or not, Americans are charitable because our tax dollars pay for foreign aid all over the world even to countries we consider enemies...

When natural disasters happen such at the tsunami that hit SE Asia or the earthquake in Haiti, Americans gave money and helped along side many other nations, so, no, I would not consider Americans in general to be selfish or greedy people...

lol, really?? absolutely wrong. doesn't matter what you consider, the word has definition, google it.

• Like 1

I can't say I agree with that when you've got a smorgasbord of companies to send money back to other countries such as Moneygram, Western Union, Chase Bank, ATMcash and if it wasn't a multi-million maybe even billion dollar business, none of these companies would be involved in it.

Whether we like it or not, Americans are charitable because our tax dollars pay for foreign aid all over the world even to countries we consider enemies...

When natural disasters happen such at the tsunami that hit SE Asia or the earthquake in Haiti, Americans gave money and helped along side many other nations, so, no, I would not consider Americans in general to be selfish or greedy people...

I am not saying that people do not send money back. If you read what I said, I said that people that have families here do not send money back. They often do if they have families back home. Is there money to be made off of that? Sure...but that is not the main focus of those companies and even if it is a multi-billion dollar business, that is not saying much...it seems like everything is these days...I mean Hannah Montanna is a billion dollar industry...

Greed and self-interest are the driving force of capitalism.

lol, really?? absolutely wrong. doesn't matter what you consider, the word has definition, google it.

Individualism is the moral stance, political philosophy, ideology, or social outlook that stresses "the moral worth of the individual".[1] Individualists promote the exercise of one's goals and desires and so value independence and self-reliance[2] while opposing external interference upon one's own interests by society or institutions such as the government.

Selfishness is placing concern with oneself or one's own interests above the well-being or interests of others.

Alright, so they are not analogous, but the point is that people are focused on what is best for themselves, not the country or the world as a whole. Many of these immigrants are concerned with their own well-being, not the country they left. Greed and self-interest is the driving force of capitalism.

Greed and self-interest are the driving force of capitalism.

I disagree. I say it's a possible adverse size effect.

• Like 1