Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 3 votes

Strange disappearances in national parks

disappearances missing strange abductions parks forests

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    Sheep Smart

Sheep Smart

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

• Im so happy I bleed it.

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:29 PM

Recently a book titled missing 411 (which ive yet to read) written by David Paullides an ex cop and retired park ranger who has dealt first hand with thousands of missing persons cases.

Odd, Unexplained Disappearances Haunt Our Nation's National Parks1 September, 2012

Labor Day is almost here, a holiday when millions of people will be heading out to our forests and National Parks for an annual, end of summer get-away in the beautiful outdoors.Some of them may never be coming back.

Fear is an unpleasant emotion that most of us do our best to avoid, yet from the dawn of time mankind has been irresistably drawn to telling horror stories around the campfire.Some of the earliest known stories were designed to scare us--but not just of anything-it is believed that our ancient ancestors greatest fear was that they might be eaten by some carnivorous beast.

It turns out that there's ample fossile evidence to back this up, suggesting that early hominids were regularly preyed on by large carnivores.

http://www.messageto...hp#.UY7Px0qfgdU

These are not my words , this was taken from a site based on this book. Again I have yet to read the book but the synopsis above paints the picture of what I am acknowledging here.

My question is, since I live in the suburbs of nyc, im not familiar with these areas, are these common occurances that really do ge swept under the carpet so not to alarm people from vacationing, tourist dollars, etc?

Edited by Still Waters, 11 May 2013 - 11:27 PM.
Added source link and shortened amount of copied text

Other life in the universe?, you dare to imply there are entities possibly far greater than us almighty humans, creators of canned ham and reality tv. Nonsense. Absurd.

The reality that stupidy exists in abundance doesnt bother me. Its the fact that theres still no cure.

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,724 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

I guess i do not really need to buy the book now,  this says quite a lot.
Did it mention the authors name? oh, yes, all over the place!

Interesting though.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    Sheep Smart

Sheep Smart

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

Ive heard the book is ingenious. its sold out in most stores around manhattan and those who carry it ask a steep price.
in any case ive seen the author in an interview regarding some of the cases he presents. he does go into great detail in every one so he sais. AND aside from some bigfoot legends, makes clear on facts vs. assumptions.
i have a craving for strange and bizarre vanishings/disappearances.

Other life in the universe?, you dare to imply there are entities possibly far greater than us almighty humans, creators of canned ham and reality tv. Nonsense. Absurd.

The reality that stupidy exists in abundance doesnt bother me. Its the fact that theres still no cure.

#4    s33ker

s33ker

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• Believe anything until proven otherwise, otherwise believe nothing until proven.

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

I was just reading about this book, it's  quite chilling that the parks don't keep a track of missing persons.

#5    Sheep Smart

Sheep Smart

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

I think its more like they want noone to know about them.
Remember that scene in Jaws where the mayor continually insisted that no sharks were the blame of half eaten torsos washing up on shores.

#6    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

Wow. Sounds like a good book according to Amazon reviews:

http://www.amazon.co...rds=missing 411

Wish it was available in Kindle format!

Sounds interesting...

Wonder if half price books has it...

Edited by Kowalski, 11 May 2013 - 10:39 PM.

#7    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 6,703 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

OK, so some serial killers have used national parks as abduction points or "disposing" areas.

Has happened a number of times.

Not sure what the point of your post is, though, as conventional murder is never "swept under the carpet"

#8    Sheep Smart

Sheep Smart

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

View Postpallidin, on 11 May 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

OK, so some serial killers have used national parks as abduction points or "disposing" areas.

Has happened a number of times.

Not sure what the point of your post is, though, as conventional murder is never "swept under the carpet"

My point is nothing. I asked a question in reference. Its hidden somewhere above apparently quite well.

#9    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,392 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:56 PM

I can understand why people do end up missing in national parks.  Take the Rocky Mountains for instance there are so many places that you can go that are dangerous.  Step on the wrong rock and over a cliff you can go.  In mountainous areas it is also easy to get lost if you venture off the beaten path.

I'm not saying there is or isn't a Bigfoot, its yet to be proved but even without a Bigfoot there are animals in these areas that can kill you and have you for dinner.

I did find the story interesting but I don't think they are trying to cover up disappearances.

#10    Sheep Smart

Sheep Smart

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:21 AM

You make a good example.
The cases he highlights are ones a bit more bizarre though. In some cases kids walk around bends just feet from their parents and once the parents walk around they simply arent anywhere to be found. In areas where visibility is clear of anything within 50 feet. Theres been cases liike this reported all the time and continue.

#11    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,724 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

View PostSheep Smart, on 12 May 2013 - 12:21 AM, said:

You make a good example.
The cases he highlights are ones a bit more bizarre though. In some cases kids walk around bends just feet from their parents and once the parents walk around they simply arent anywhere to be found. In areas where visibility is clear of anything within 50 feet. Theres been cases liike this reported all the time and continue.
I can`t see how or why these events would or could be swept under the carpet.
If children go missing, even the parents would make sure it does not get swept.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#12    s33ker

s33ker

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• Believe anything until proven otherwise, otherwise believe nothing until proven.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

It's about the people who are still missing after the usual falling in a crevice , getting killed by serial killers or random strangers and all that has been accounted for. But there are still unexplained missing people, alot apparently and in some very bizarre circumstances. Credible witnesses,  diligent investigator,  naked toddlers found miles from anywhere and at impossible distances., clothes layed out on the ground like people just evaporated out of them . So gotta get it before it's trashed and debunked , l adore books like this and will recount the stories from it around the camp fire to terrify the kids.

#13    Sheep Smart

Sheep Smart

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:10 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 12 May 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

I can`t see how or why these events would or could be swept under the carpet.
If children go missing, even the parents would make sure it does not get swept.
In regards to say tourism, or authority, noone wants the public to assume that authority does not have things under control. When people say how did my child go missing in an assumingly safe place and furthermore how does autority NOT know what happened or can find their child, ..in respect, why are there more questions that answers.

#14    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,018 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

Is it the responsibility of the national parks to keep track of missing persons or the FBI?

And what exactly is it about this book that makes it so expensive? It's insane.

Edited by Kasey2601, 13 May 2013 - 03:22 PM.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#15    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,392 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:28 AM

Give it time it will be on the discount rack.  Then I can afford to get a copy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users