Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why are atheists afraid of ghosts

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1    Perfection

Perfection

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:30 AM

Posted Image

On many forums there are people claiming that they don't believe in God, & yet have had an encounter with a ghost or alien, or other type of being.

It seems logical to me that if any life at all can exist outside of our known reality, then surely God can also exist. And if you don't believe in God then you must also not believe in any type of being whatsoever that is from outside of our reality.

#2    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,923 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:44 AM

I think it is more a case of there being many possible realms or dimensions even, but there is no evidence that a Supreme Being governs all these alternative worlds or that it required a Supreme Being for them to exist.  Just playing devils advocate, I actually do believe there is a God myself.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#3    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 4,557 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:46 AM

Why stop at ghosts and God? If you believe in them, why not a flying spaghetti monster on the far side of the sun? Or sock demons who steal your underwear and shove them down the back of the washing machine?

In short - you need to think critically about what people actually believe, rather than consider everything as a possibility.

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:50 AM

I've seen a ghost but not a flying spaghetti monster or sock demons.

Quit frankly I wonder if God was an alien.

Edited by Hilander, 12 May 2013 - 01:51 AM.

#5    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,654 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:12 AM

There are many logical reasons why atheists might believe in ghosts or other paranormal thngs, although i suspect that many atheists do not believe in them using a consistent rationale and logic.

To play the cynic I suspect that humans can accept belief in ghosts bcaus it does not require them to change anything about their life. But to truly believ ein god (especaily the sort of god described in christian jewish and islamic beliefs) would mean you had to change your life, if you were logical and rational. Most  modern people enjoy their lives and do not want to change them so they chose not to believ in god  In the past and still insome places where life is hard, belief in god changed lives, almost always for the positive, but today it can seem limiting and restricting.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#6    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,923 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:25 AM

I've seen things I can't explain - by can't explain I mean I cannot say if they were ghosts or interdimensional beings or swamp gas seeping through my concrete slab (yeh not so likely).  Therefore I look for corroborating evidence as to what they might be, that does not mean everything is possible.  It does mean I have evidence that I have no idea what the limits of existential possibilities are and have no reason to be dogmatically opposed to the idea of "ghosts".

Spaghetti Monsters are a different kettle of fish, their purpose is to provide a strawman for atheists to use in their arguments against the possibility of the existence of a God.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#7    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:43 AM

What if it is really the ghosts who are afraid of atheists?

#8    _Only

_Only

• 6,634 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:51 AM

Perfection, on 12 May 2013 - 01:30 AM, said:

...if you don't believe in God then you must also not believe in any type of being whatsoever that is from outside of our reality.

No. I don't understand that jump. The latter (not believing in any type of being whatsoever from outside of out reality) would make a rock solid belief for the former (not believing in a God), but it is not nearly as limited of a situation the other way around.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#9    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,654 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:52 AM

Leave Britney alone!, on 12 May 2013 - 02:43 AM, said:

What if it is really the ghosts who are afraid of atheists?
What was tha t Nicole Kidman film? ' The others"?

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#10    xFelix

xFelix

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

• Yea I'm Pagan, oh no!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:53 AM

I don't think Atheists have any reason to fear ghosts, most probably don't even believe in them.
Why would I say this? Well my opinion is based on my personal experience.

I don't believe in demons, thus I have no fear of them.

But I do believe in ghosts, which generates a possibility of fear in which I can either generate the courage to combat that fear and rationally try to understand their existence or I could just fear every single aspect of the ability for any random person to exist in an invisible way.

So in essence, my opinion is that if any Atheists fear ghosts it is the ones who believe in them and cannot muster the courage to try and consider them in a rational way.

My posts consist of my opinions, beliefs, and experiences, feel free to disagree in a respectful manner.

I have a right to my beleifs, just as you have a right to not agree with them.

So long as we respect each other's beliefs, we won't have a single problem.

#11    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,184 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:09 AM

It seems logical to me that if any life at all can exist outside of our known reality, then surely God can also exist. And if you don't believe in God then you must also not believe in any type of being whatsoever that is from outside of our reality.
Why? How does this make sense? If God isn't needed, why does the afterlife need one?

#12    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,506 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:02 AM

Emma_Acid, on 12 May 2013 - 01:46 AM, said:

Why stop at ghosts and God? If you believe in them, why not a flying spaghetti monster on the far side of the sun? Or sock demons who steal your underwear and shove them down the back of the washing machine?

In short - you need to think critically about what people actually believe, rather than consider everything as a possibility.
A common straw man.

Never heard of anyone seeing the FSM or sock demon.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#13    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,506 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:07 AM

I don't think I have met any atheists believing in spirits. I have met a few that have seen them but won't believe it though.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#14    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

....And if you don't believe in God then you must also not believe in any type of being whatsoever that is from outside of our reality.

that's a logical gap i couldn't even cross with a jet pack.....!

#15    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,654 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

Jacques Terreur, on 12 May 2013 - 06:57 AM, said:

that's a logical gap i couldn't even cross with a jet pack.....!

There is a basic logic in this although it doesnt hold true for everyone.

A person who decides god is not real because there is no evidence for god would, if consistent in their logic, also come to  decide that everything for which there was no physical evidence was also unreal.

A person who decided that god was a pysicologicla construct of humans based on human need would if logicla decide that things like ghosts  spirits of the dead etc were similar constructs . A person who decided tha thumans construct gods from pattern recognition gone too far might conclude the same about all things we "see" that do not really exist. A person who believed god was a product of an unbalanced mind might decide, using the same logic, that also ghosts etc are creations of a mind that is not working properly.
So actually, a person using consistent logic could easily conclude that gods and ghosts are both unreal, for the same reasons.

Of course some people are not consistent in their logic because they allow prior belief or emotion to influence them, or because they apply different evidentiary standards to different things. For excample it is clear that some people absolutely refuse to countenace the existence of god  (for a whole host of personal reasons) but feel far less strongly about other paranormal entiities. If god walked up to (or materialised in front of) such a person and performed physical miracles before them they would doubt their own mind, so deeply ingrained is their refusal to accept the reality of god, but if they saw a ghost they might accept it  much more readily. .

Edited by Mr Walker, 12 May 2013 - 11:09 AM.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users