Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Archaeological Evidence For Moses

• Please log in to reply
296 replies to this topic

#286    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,238 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 23 January 2013 - 03:51 AM, said:

Biblical scholars who've tried to find some shred of evidence for Exodus have turned to Ramesses II as a possible candidate largely because of the Delta city of Pi-Rameses (pr-ramss, "House of Ramesses"). Imagine their excitement many years ago when an archaeological site did turn out to be this ancient city, so the place itself is real. To stress, the city dates to the reign of Ramesses II and not to his grandfather, Ramesses I, the latter of whom wasn't on the throne long enough to accomplish much of note.

However, questionmark's point is critical. Ancient Egypt was not a slave-based economy, and a significant portion of its population was never slaves. The Old Testament reports something like 600,000 men of fighting age involved in the flight from Egypt, so when you add to that the number of old men, women, and children, the final figure would've approached two million people. Obviously that's not remotely realistic.

While the city of Pi-Rameses was a real place, and while it's mentioned in the Old Testament as one of the cities in which the Hebrews toiled for Pharaoh, this doesn't make Exodus a real event. All it really means is that the Hebrew scribes who penned the story of Exodus had access to old place names of the Egyptian kingdom. All told, many if not most events and places recorded in the Old Testament reveal a Holy Land and environs as was known around the seventh and sixth centuries BCE, but not the thirteenth century BCE when Ramesses II lived.

Ramesses I  they say may have died from the plague of those few years, given rise to the frist son or king of that dynasty dying.

I do agree much of what was written were of places of the sixth centuries bc,but still these places may have excisted before and were known.

As far as the numbers of the Bible,  the counting system was not realistic and were most likey exaggerated.:)

#287    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

I have to say.. this is the first time I wandered into this thread.. so I have read all 20 pages in one go..

Kmt.. mate I really do love reading your posts.. each time you post something I learn something new :D

keep up the good work..

#288    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,451 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:04 AM

Thanks, DingoLingo. I'm glad my long-winded diatribes can be of help to folks. :lol:

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#289    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,187 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:34 AM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 24 January 2013 - 03:04 AM, said:

Thanks, DingoLingo. I'm glad my long-winded diatribes can be of help to folks. :lol:

Oh, they indeed can kmt. I rarely have anything to contribute in this part of the forum, but every time I read your posts I learn something new, which is always a pleasure.

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#290    Erudite Celt

Erudite Celt

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:46 AM

View Postsinewave, on 12 January 2010 - 10:10 PM, said:

Thank you for the thoughtful response.  Your point about the Egyptians is well taken as Moses is said to have been raised by Egyptian royalty.  Certainly some record of that would have survived.
What should be considered when trying to find references of Moses in the Egyptian records is is that the Egyptians never kept a record of their defeats. There are records by both Persian and Syrian historians that record Egyptian defeats that are found no were  in the official Egyptian histories. Likewise the same is true of the Persians [ defeat by Trojans not recorded ] and the Syrians. The Persians do however mention taking the Hebrews into captivity proving that they existed as a culture at that time  and the Persian historians never doubted the existence of Moses not forgetting that they would have had historical references that are now long lost to us! The Persians kept a record of the Hebrews because they were never defeated by them. In fact the Persians eventually let them free to rebuild Jerusalem.
I'm not a particular fan of amateur christian archaeologist Ron Wyatt [ Indiana Jones was modelled on his exploits ] but his research is a good read and certainly all of the historical references he cites can be checked and verified as can the geography and archaeology [ in a manner ] on the ground.

http://kahalyahweh.n...bel-El-Lawz.htm

http://www.wyattmuse...mount-sinai.htm

http://www.wyattmuse...mages/wpe98.jpg

http://www.wyattmuse...ages/wpe1C4.jpg

Edited by Erudite Celt, 24 January 2013 - 03:53 AM.

#291    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,238 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

Thanks Kmt and all, great information:):),I,m just one who likes to think there really is some true history behind some myths, and in the books of the Bible.Some say Moses ,Jesus, did`nt really exist and of course Atlantis.  I just happen to disagree,allthough much glorification was given to these written stories,I do believe they were based on some real facts.

#292    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,238 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

View PostErudite Celt, on 24 January 2013 - 03:46 AM, said:

What should be considered when trying to find references of Moses in the Egyptian records is is that the Egyptians never kept a record of their defeats. There are records by both Persian and Syrian historians that record Egyptian defeats that are found no were  in the official Egyptian histories. Likewise the same is true of the Persians [ defeat by Trojans not recorded ] and the Syrians. The Persians do however mention taking the Hebrews into captivity proving that they existed as a culture at that time  and the Persian historians never doubted the existence of Moses not forgetting that they would have had historical references that are now long lost to us! The Persians kept a record of the Hebrews because they were never defeated by them. In fact the Persians eventually let them free to rebuild Jerusalem.
I'm not a particular fan of amateur christian archaeologist Ron Wyatt [ Indiana Jones was modelled on his exploits ] but his research is a good read and certainly all of the historical references he cites can be checked and verified as can the geography and archaeology [ in a manner ] on the ground.

http://kahalyahweh.n...bel-El-Lawz.htm

http://www.wyattmuse...mount-sinai.htm

http://www.wyattmuse...mages/wpe98.jpg

http://www.wyattmuse...ages/wpe1C4.jpg

I believe they have the best theory on the Exodus :)

#293    VB2011

VB2011

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:25 AM

I've debated with myself over this topic a lot. I fully believe in my religion, but sometimes occasional doubts slip in. If you scour the internet a bit, you can find a couple pretty credible sites. I actually found a good article on the PBS website: http://www.pbs.org/w...brew-bible.html. Maybe it will help :)

#294    stereologist

stereologist

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

One of the people that cannot be trusted at all is Wyatt. He simply made things up as he went along. He simply made up stories that he sold to the choir. A good example is his claim of anchor stones near Ararat. They are stones that are made of rock local to Ararat. That would have Noah importing rocks for his ark local to the spot he would end up. It's a good story from Wyatt, but just a story.

Some of the problems with Exodus are:
1. No large population of slaves
2. No mention of large population of Hebrew slaves
3. No loss of military might due to loss of entire army as claimed in Exodus
4. No loss of economic might due to loss of large work force
5. No evidence for large number of people living in the Sinai

There are other issues as well if you look them up.

#295    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,213 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

View Poststereologist, on 02 January 2014 - 01:07 PM, said:

One of the people that cannot be trusted at all is Wyatt. He simply made things up as he went along. He simply made up stories that he sold to the choir. A good example is his claim of anchor stones near Ararat. They are stones that are made of rock local to Ararat. That would have Noah importing rocks for his ark local to the spot he would end up. It's a good story from Wyatt, but just a story.

Some of the problems with Exodus are:
1. No large population of slaves
2. No mention of large population of Hebrew slaves
3. No loss of military might due to loss of entire army as claimed in Exodus
4. No loss of economic might due to loss of large work force
5. No evidence for large number of people living in the Sinai

There are other issues as well if you look them up.

Not to mention:

No archeological evidence of dwellings for 600.000 families being abandoned (see Numbers).

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#296    codebreaker5000

codebreaker5000

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

Moses was the Pharaoh Thutmoses III... I can prove this useing. Ancient documented stories archeology and meteor impact data, ice tree core samples. Moses refused to be called the son of Pharaohs Daughter for a reason. Hatsetsup was the Pharaohs daughter, married her brother became wife of Pharaoh she needed a son to complete the title mother of Pharaoh. Her brother died after 3 years of ruling Egypt. She pulled Moses from the river Styx the Nile in Africa. She told everyone the boy was her brothers son by a concubine wife. Hatsetsup ruled over Egypt for 21 Years. Moses killed her obliverated her image from Egypt and left  Egypt. Moses left his boy son Amenhotep II to rule over Egypt. When Moses returned to Egypt to free his people his son the Pharaoh did not remember him. Moses killed him in the Exodus.

#297    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,451 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:09 AM

View Postcodebreaker5000, on 02 January 2014 - 07:35 PM, said:

Moses was the Pharaoh Thutmoses III... I can prove this useing. Ancient documented stories archeology and meteor impact data, ice tree core samples. Moses refused to be called the son of Pharaohs Daughter for a reason. Hatsetsup was the Pharaohs daughter, married her brother became wife of Pharaoh she needed a son to complete the title mother of Pharaoh. Her brother died after 3 years of ruling Egypt. She pulled Moses from the river Styx the Nile in Africa. She told everyone the boy was her brothers son by a concubine wife. Hatsetsup ruled over Egypt for 21 Years. Moses killed her obliverated her image from Egypt and left  Egypt. Moses left his boy son Amenhotep II to rule over Egypt. When Moses returned to Egypt to free his people his son the Pharaoh did not remember him. Moses killed him in the Exodus.

Quite a few problems with this.
  • There are no ancient documented stories which tell us Moses and Tuthmosis III Menkheperre were the same person. There's plentiful textual and archaeological evidence for the life of Tuthmosis. Outside the Old Testament, there is no evidence for Moses.

• Tree-core samples and meteor-impact data would have no conceivable useful relevance to your scenario. Fancy words don't help your cause, I'm afraid.

• Tuthmosis III reigned 1479-1424 BCE. Despite what 1 Kings 6:1 tells us about the number of years in which Exodus occurred before Solomon built his temple, which would in fact mathematically place Exodus during the reign of Tuthmosis, there is no evidence the Hebrews even yet existed.

• Related to #3, the earliest textual evidence for the Hebrews is on the Merneptah victory stela of Dynasty 19 ("Israel is laid waste, his seed is not"). The stela dates to about 1208 BCE. Archaeology of the Holy Land melds well with this as the earliest emergence for a people identifiable as proto-Hebrew.

• It is correct that Tuthmosis I, Hatshepsut's father, was succeeded by Tuthmosis II, Hatshepsut's brother. It is also true that Hatshepsut married this brother, which was common for pharaohs of Dynasty 18. It is also correct that Tuthmosis II died after a moderately short and unremarkable reign. However, it was not three years in length but at least a dozen years.

• Hatshepsut did not "need" a son. She had one, thanks to Tuthmosis II. Granted, she was not the mother but the step-mother, which in ancient Egyptian terms was a subtle and often irrelevant distinction in the first place, especially in royal families. She also happened to be the aunt of Tuthmosis III at the same time.

• The mother of Tuthmosis III was hardly a "concubine." She was a secondary queen named Iset. While kings probably sired any number of sons from the women of their harems, these sons rarely if ever were in line for the throne. Tuthmosis III was in direct line because he was born not only of the king but of a queen, if secondary in status.

• There is no such thing as "the river Styx the Nile in Africa." You're mixing cultures.

• Hatshepsut didn't have to tell anyone that Tuthmosis III was her brother's son. That would've been known immediately upon his birth. And in fact it's well attested in inscriptional material. Hatshepsut didn't pull Tuthmosis III out of a river. His parentage and birth are firmly understood and part of the ancient historical record.

• Hatshepsut did in fact rule over Egypt for around twenty years, but not from the start. She began as the regent of Tuthmosis III and grasped power early on. While she proclaimed herself as the monarch, Tuthmosis III never disappeared. It is odd but he is still shown with Hatshepsut on royal monuments, although in a place of inferior status to her.

• There is no evidence that Hatshepsut was killed by anyone, including Tuthmosis III. And the idea that he smashed her monuments immediately upon assuming full control of the throne, is a very outdated and disproved theory. We now know years passed before he sent out his agents to do this.

• Tuthmosis III absolutely did not abdicate at any point in his reign. That's just silly. He was ancient Egypt's most powerful warrior-pharaoh. More than any strong king of the early New Kingdom, Tuthmosis III is who forged Egypt into the most powerful empire in the Near East. Tuthmosis III spent nearly all of his long, remarkable reign leading his army into battle.

• Related to #12, it was in Syro-Palestine that Tuthmosis III concentrated most of his military campaigns. He swept all before him clear up to northern Syria. He certainly wasn't leading a bunch of escaped slaves into freedom in those northern lands—he was conquering them and all of the people who resided in them.

These are the facts, codebreaker. And they're rather basic ones at that. I can point you to any number of books to help to elucidate these facts, but I think the onus is on you now. You've taken on the guise of a troll as of late, so do you care to repair your standing? How about some links from legitimate research material or books by respected historians to support your claims? Anything?

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users