Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Question

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 26,703 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE(hyperactive @ Sep 2 2005, 12:58 PM)
was it before or after the thundercats came to earth?

View Post

HAHAHAHAHAHA! w00t.gif

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#62    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 26,703 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE(QuantumE @ Sep 5 2005, 02:01 PM)
Didn't the bible say god created the universe, earth and man in 6 days, then rested on the 7th? Which is why we go to church on sunday the 7th day. So If god created man, life and everything in just 6 days, how were dinosaurs around 65 million years before man?

View Post

The Sabbath (seventh day) is Saturday, not Sunday.  We go to church on Sunday's now purely out of tradition.  Some denominations choose to hold their day of worship on other days of the week.

As for the whole six days of creation, a day is a thousand years to the Lord and a thousand years a day.  In other words, time is irrelevant to God.  It could have been much longer than six days.  Numbers have great significance in the Bible - 1000 (and multiples thereof) denotes a large, yet finite number (thus a day being a thousand years, could be quite a lot longer).

At least that's what I believe.

Regards, PA

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#63    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 01:27 PM

Scooby,
The word "dinosaur" is not in the Bible, but the word for "a large monster" is, Tannin or Tannyn in the English translation. In the creation story these creatures appear between the fish and man, exactly as they do in the geologic/evolutionary record if dinosaurs were meant.  Confusing the issue however, is that later in the Bible, these creatures are not mere animals, for they do God's bidding (like swallowing and releasing Jonah), and sing praises to God in the book of Psalms, live in heaven and devour sinners in other ancient Jewish and Christian literature.  In many Bibles they are called "dragons" and spew fire and brimstone as dragons in other cultures.  Some modern bibles have removed all references to dragons except the Red dragon of revelation.  These later dragons are not "dinosaurs" but are heavenly servant creatures, but the similarity between dinosaurs and dragons has alway been apparent since dinosaurs were "rediscovered" in the modern era.

#64    QuantumE

QuantumE

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

• "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:00 AM

QUOTE(Paranoid Android @ Sep 5 2005, 06:16 AM)
QUOTE(QuantumE @ Sep 5 2005, 02:01 PM)
Didn't the bible say god created the universe, earth and man in 6 days, then rested on the 7th? Which is why we go to church on sunday the 7th day. So If god created man, life and everything in just 6 days, how were dinosaurs around 65 million years before man?

View Post

The Sabbath (seventh day) is Saturday, not Sunday.  We go to church on Sunday's now purely out of tradition.  Some denominations choose to hold their day of worship on other days of the week.

As for the whole six days of creation, a day is a thousand years to the Lord and a thousand years a day.  In other words, time is irrelevant to God.  It could have been much longer than six days.  Numbers have great significance in the Bible - 1000 (and multiples thereof) denotes a large, yet finite number (thus a day being a thousand years, could be quite a lot longer).

At least that's what I believe.

Regards, PA

View Post

Wait so 1 day equals 1,000 years in the bible? That proves 2 things. one god didnt create dinosaurs. or two. The bible is fake.

Edited by QuantumE, 06 September 2005 - 03:05 AM.

#65    Insight

Insight

Soldier of the New World Re-order

• 2,844 posts

• When the people fight against the elite, it's an act of terror.
    When the elite terrorizes the people, it's called justice.

Posted 06 September 2005 - 04:37 AM

QUOTE(mako @ Aug 29 2005, 04:18 AM)
No they are not,  a lot of people try to make out that Levithan is a dino, but that is just wishful thinking on the part of Creationists.  Just like the divinity of the Book of Job, the "Dinos in the Bible" question evaporates in the light of enquiry. yes.gif

View Post

Your forgetting the Behemoth. That one makes a much more convincing Dino. What with the tail like a tree trunk and the thick skin, yet it eats plants. And this isn't a debate over the Bible's divinity. it's a debate whether dinosaurs are mentioned in the bible. The word Dinosaur is relatively new. Hell, the English language is relatively new.

Regardless of whether you believe the Bible is true or not, what animal do you think is being described in the book job when the speaker talks about the Behemoth and the Leviathan?

When the people fight against the elite, it's an act of terror.
When the elite terrorizes the people, it's called justice.

Evil wears many masks, but none so dangerous as the mask of virtue.

#66    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 12:17 AM

Job is thought to be one of the oldest books in the Bible.  Therefore we can assume it was told and retold as an oral tradition long before it was finally written down, much like the Eden story and how it changed somewhat from the Sumerian original.

Behmoth is probably an elephant, though in the retelling, the highly improbable description of a massive trunk was transferred to the more believable tail.

Leviathan is clearly a descripton of the heavenly dragon-servants, though here in an aquatic setting.  These "dragons" have been reportedly seen by virtually every culture culture.  In most of these cultures it is no mere animal, but of  "Godly" origin if we accept the premise that the God of the Judaic-Christian religions is an authentic entity.  It is no mere animal for the chronicler states it spews fire from its mouth and no weapon of mankind can harm it.  Finally, the writer concludes that this mighty monster's greatness is but a measure of the God who specifically created it.  Throughout the Bible God rides these creatures, they devour his enemies, sing to him, guard sacred trees and one is even sent to test his Son.    It is curious that fundementalists would think such an incredible, divine  creature was nothing more than dinosaurs who survived the great flood by riding on Noahs Ark with the rest of the animals, but then, they only pick and choose the parts of the Bible they want to believe, contrary to what they claim.

#67    LarryOldtimer

LarryOldtimer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

• In the beginning, there was nothing. God said, "Let there be light." There still was nothing, but you could see it better.

Posted 08 September 2005 - 05:51 AM

QUOTE(QuantumE @ Sep 4 2005, 09:01 PM)

View Post

Simplest explanation possible for that.  God created the earth with all of the fossils and what is called the geological record in place, as part of the creation.  A god who would destroy a great tower (Bable) to confuse the language of humans would have no qualms about creating fossils in place to cause confusion, would He?   geek.gif

#68    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:53 PM

Six days is strictly a fundamentalist view.  There are many christians, including lettered scientists in a plethora of geologic and life sciences that understand that the "days" of the Bible can just as easily be translated to mean great periods of time.  They are amazed then how such an ancient book states that life began in the sea, recognizes dinosaurs existing afterwards (Tannyn/great monsters), and only assigns mankind to the most recent era, things all compliant with the latest "scientific" understanding of the creation/evolution of life on earth.

#69    hyperactive

hyperactive

abu gaia

• 5,691 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 12:04 AM

and yet, draconic, it shows us nothing alluding to "supernatural".  

the joys of interepretation along with the desires to make the book fit does wonders.  The stories of the tenach are not all that marvelous at all.

"He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool - shun him.
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple - teach him.
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep - awaken him.
He who knows and knows that he knows, he is wise - follow him. "
Arabia

#70    QuantumE

QuantumE

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

• "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:26 AM

QUOTE(LarryOldtimer @ Sep 8 2005, 01:51 AM)

View Post

Simplest explanation possible for that.  God created the earth with all of the fossils and what is called the geological record in place, as part of the creation.  A god who would destroy a great tower (Bable) to confuse the language of humans would have no qualms about creating fossils in place to cause confusion, would He?   geek.gif

View Post

What was he trying to accomplish by confusing us? Anyways that still dosent answer the question of how dinosaurs roamed earth 65 million years before man. Considering one day in the bible is 1,000 years and god created everything in 6 days. But you think god put their fossils their to confuse us? why?

Edited by QuantumE, 10 September 2005 - 01:31 AM.

#71    GIDEON MAGE

GIDEON MAGE

MASTER PSYCHIC

• 3,813 posts

• I ONLY BELIEVE WHAT I PERCEIVE WITH MY OWN PSYCHIC POWERS, OR MAKES LOGICAL SENSE. SHOW ME SOMETHING THAT WORKS AND I'LL AGREE.

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:53 AM

What was he trying to accomplish by confusing us? Anyways that still dosent answer the question of how dinosaurs roamed earth 65 million years before man. Considering one day in the bible is 1,000 years and god created everything in 6 days. But you think god put their fossils their to confuse us? why?

he was joking-a lot of fundies say satan put the bones there!

GIDEON MAGE

Is a shameless act of self-promotion vain, or merely a good, practiical idea? Click here to find out!
http://www.examiner....ew-Age-Examiner

#72    QuantumE

QuantumE

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 03:59 AM

I thought he was serious considering some of the peoples views on subjects in this forum.  tongue.gif

#73    LarryOldtimer

LarryOldtimer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

• In the beginning, there was nothing. God said, "Let there be light." There still was nothing, but you could see it better.

Posted 11 September 2005 - 12:01 AM

QUOTE(QuantumE @ Sep 9 2005, 06:26 PM)
QUOTE(LarryOldtimer @ Sep 8 2005, 01:51 AM)

View Post

View Post

View Post

Now the whole earth had one language and few words. And as men migrated from the east, they found a plain in the land of Shinar and settled there. And they said to one another, 'Come, let us make bricks, and burn them thoroughly.' And they had brick for stone, and bitumen for mortar. Then they said, 'Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.' And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the sons of men had built. And the LORD said, 'Behold, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; and nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them. Come, let us go down, and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.' So the LORD scattered them abroad from there over the face of all the earth, and they left off building the city.' Therefore its name was called Babel, because there the LORD confused the language of all the earth; and from there the LORD scattered them abroad over the face of all the earth." (Genesis 11:1-9)

Why do you ask me this question?  It is your god, and not mine . . . I am a non-believer.  It is the religious who claim to know what God wants, surely they are the ones to answer such a question.  We have no evidence that the dinosaurs actually walked the earth; only fossils which suggest they did.  If the earth was created by God, then for such a Omnipotent one, the entire geological record and the fossils of dinosaurs could have been created in place, for us to find and be confused.  It wouldn't be the first time that your God intentionally acted to confuse humankind, according to your own Bible, which you claim is the "Word of God".    no.gif

#74    QuantumE

QuantumE

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 07:02 AM

I actually dont have a set religion I only read the first few pages of the bible and noticed what it said about the 6 day thing.

#75    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 01:05 PM

A "common sense" approach must be taken in interpreting the Bible.  We know that the earliest "stories" were carried on for centuries as an oral tradition and probably strayed far from the actual events.  Things like an all encompassing world flood, was probably the localized flood in that region that is of the correct age of the "Biblical" flood.  A Sumerian Eden story complete with an Adam (Adape), talking dragon, sacred tree etc, written down 1500 years before the Bible must be recognized as an earlier version of the same story.  Legends like the tower of Babel are probably based on memories of an real, extremely  high mudbrick tower built for religious purposes, combined with a folklore explanation of why there are different languages in the world.

It is absurd to take everything in the bible as exacting truths, and as I have demonstrated, even the fundamentalists who claim they do, actually don't, and conveniently claim any inconsistencies in their beliefs can be "blamed on the devil".  But through their ignorance, and child-like beliefs, they tend to trivialize and draw ridicule to what billions of people consider the truths of the Bible, including the remarkable creation story that roughly parallels the latest scientific concepts of evolution and earth-history.   Remarkable indeed for something written down over 2500 years ago despite the more "legendary" parts that obscure the scientific and historical parts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users