Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Curiosity rover photographs anomalies on Mars

mars rover curiosity space life

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,092 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 18 November 2012 - 08:59 PM, said:

I reckon there is a planet out there full of odd socks, OUR odd socks and NASA know all about it, but the government will not allow them to tell us, hence we keep buying more socks!!!
That reminds me of 'The Black Hole' Ren and Stimpy episode where they find the gigantic mountain of all the worlds missing left socks. :tu:

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#17    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,797 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

View PostCpl599, on 19 November 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

This is what the face on mars really is.  The government is covering it up!

Posted Image
yeah right!!!!

there is no guinea pig in that photo!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#18    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

Is this the same guy that kept finding sign after sign of "life" in the rover images? Anything that looked a bone was a bone. Anything that looked like a fossil was a fossil. Anything that looked square was an artifact from an ancient civilization. If something looked like something, it simply had to be that thing and nothing else.

#19    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,826 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

One of images showing UFO/Dead Pixels is quite interesting... I dont currently own Photoshop, but if someone does then I would suggest increasing the Parameters for Pixel Definition (Zoom) to explain what we are looking at. Back in the day, I was on the design team for the Altea Professional Satelite Receiver (originally for Newscorp, later sold to Tandberg Television) and this does not look like any sort of Digital Artefact to me.

Maybe a Dust Devil picked up some debris and "floated" it around
The "Guinea Pig" a rock, the "Human" finger is a rock... nothing to see there...IMO

Edited by keithisco, 19 November 2012 - 09:08 PM.

#20    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,005 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 19 November 2012 - 09:07 PM, said:

One of images showing UFO/Dead Pixels is quite interesting... I dont currently own Photoshop, but if someone does then I would suggest increasing the Parameters for Pixel Definition (Zoom) to explain what we are looking at. Back in the day, I was on the design team for the Altea Professional Satelite Receiver (originally for Newscorp, later sold to Tandberg Television) and this does not look like any sort of Digital Artefact to me.
If it's the following picture you're talking about, I don't think anybody is seriously suggesting it's "dead pixels".

Posted Image

Here's what you see if you zoom in without applying any smoothing filters.

Posted Image

It's not a digital artefact in itself, but it does contain heavy elements of JPEG artefacting. Hard to know exactly what we're looking at as it's only a handful of pixels across and has been distorted by the JPEG compression process.

The following picture however, is almost certainly dead pixels (note that it has been inversed and then recolorised from the original which had black dots against the sky):

Posted Image

It's easy to simulate it using Photoshop.  Put a couple of blank white pixels on a brown gradient background, save it at low JPEG quality, and then resize it upward a bit with bicubic filtering on and you'll get pretty much the same thing.  The fact that the same series of images on NASA's website all contain the same 2 little blobs in the exact same place in each picture is further evidence that it's a camera defect of some sort.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#21    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,404 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:05 AM

My vote is Its Dr. Who ! or not ? :no:
One thing for sure ITs not nuttin but dirt & Rocks up there !

This is a Work in Progress!

#22    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

View PostArchimedes, on 20 November 2012 - 09:19 PM, said:

If it's the following picture you're talking about, I don't think anybody is seriously suggesting it's "dead pixels".

Posted Image

Please!! Thats no alien craft/UFO in the distance,... its a bug flying close to the camera.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#23    me-wonders

me-wonders

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

View Postpallidin, on 18 November 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

Ever notice how you find only one shoe on the road? Or missing one sock from the dryer?
It's some kind of darn cosmic conspiracy I tell ya. :passifier:

Yeah, I walk bike paths with my dog daily and I am always amazed by articles of clothing left on the path.  And for sure, dryers eat socks.

I expect the evidence that is under question is something besides a picture.  More along the lines of analysis of a dirt sample.  It will probably be something exciting to scientist, but not particularly exciting to the rest of us.

#24    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,797 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

View PostHazzard, on 21 November 2012 - 11:54 AM, said:

Please!! Thats no alien craft/UFO in the distance,... its a bug flying close to the camera.
I do not know what it is, but "a bug"???
:alien: So there are bugs flying around on the surface of mars? :alien:  which means there is life there after all. :alien:

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#25    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,005 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

I'm leaning towards flying saucer myself.

Posted Image

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#26    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

• 24,490 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

i had to think about that for a moment. Very subtle. No, it's clearly flares.

Edited by 747400, 21 November 2012 - 08:25 PM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#27    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

• 24,490 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

Anyway, I suppose this'll be what that Announcement that NASA have Announced the're going to make, the one that'll "rewrite the History books", will be about. :innocent:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#28    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

View Post747400, on 21 November 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

i had to think about that for a moment. Very subtle. No, it's clearly flares.

You're all seeing things, it's obviously an aircraft, possibly a passenger plane.

#29    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,797 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 21 November 2012 - 08:27 PM, said:

You're all seeing things, it's obviously an aircraft, possibly a passenger plane.
lol, passenger plane! :lol:

#30    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

• It is later than you think.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 21 November 2012 - 08:27 PM, said:

It's a hoax; the martians are notorious for that kind of thing.

Posted Image

Also tagged with mars, rover, curiosity, space, life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users