Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Beast of Bolton' spotted near UK reservoir

UM-Bot

A large black creature with yellow eyes was encountered by a woman who was out driving on Tuesday night.

Natalie Kay had been returning from a shopping trip along Doe Hey Road in Farnworth at around 9:30pm when a large animal jumped in front of her vehicle, forcing her to slam on the brakes.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ar-uk-reservoir

• Like 3

*It's scary when you think that children play around here", sayeth the lass.

It sure is with all these cars, ma'am.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 6

May go and check this out myself as its only down the road from me,

But 2 things are "grinding my gears",

1 its more in the area of great lever rather than farnworth

2 its brakes and not breaks

• Like 3

Good eye. Doesn't anyone proof read anymore?

Have any of these panthers ever been captured?

• Like 3

Lol, how many big cats are there roaming around Europe?.. I'm not saying she didn't see anything, but I feel like this is an issue that needs to be addressed since I'm always hearing sighting of large black cats there.

• Like 1

big cats running wild in the uk! I have heard this many times before

• Like 2

big cats running wild in the uk! I have heard this many times before

Many times before does not mean many big cats. Yes big cats have been seen, but it is more likely to be the odd one or two who have been let out into the wild because the owner can no longer look after it and the fact that they very likely had it illegally brought into the country, then its not something they can advertise on PreLove as "my pussycat needs a new home".

Edited by freetoroam

Greedy yellow eyes? Why greedy?

Edit to add: If it's anything like my cat that would explain it ....

Edited by Calibeliever
  • Like 1

Interesting indeed. The panther theory could be likely, given there have been sightings of similar creatures in other parts of Europe

Doing some research on this story I noticed something interesting. Just to the north of this area there were sightings in 2008 of a large dark cat in Bacup which became known as the Huttock Top Beast. The same named creature was seen in 2014 further south in Rochdale. Rochdale is around 14 miles away from Bolton where this creature has been seen in 2012 and on November 10th, 2015. Like many have pointed out if that these animals are real it is likely the same animal and not ones with different names. I'm sure if I kept digging I could find similar stories in nearby areas as well. Also, it is obvious that this is more than likely an escaped or dumped exotic animal. However, an exotic cat that is declawed would not live this long in the wild even though there is little competition in the wild other than wild cats. My guess would be it's a black (melanistic) leopard which is smaller than the jaguar yet much more common in captivity. The big problem is there is no definitive evidence in the form of believable photographs, prints, scat, or a body to prove this is anything other than a folktale.

... if that these animals are real ... My guess would be it's a black (melanistic) leopard which is smaller than the jaguar yet much more common in captivity. The big problem is there is no definitive evidence in the form of believable photographs, prints, scat, or a body to prove this is anything other than a folktale.

So do you think she saw a black leopard or that she experienced a folktale?

I live in Bolton and take my sister's dog for walkies along the Doe Hey brook in the Great Lever area of the town, near the Farnworth area of the town, which flows into those reservoirs. The dog likes playing in the brook. Ever since this recent sighting of the Beast of Bolton I've been keeping my eye out for it every time I've taken the dog out down to the stream. I've not seen it yet, but I'll let you know here if I do.

Edited by Black Monk

May go and check this out myself as its only down the road from me,

But 2 things are "grinding my gears",

1 its more in the area of great lever rather than farnworth

2 its brakes and not breaks

Upper and Lower Doe Hey reservoirs are in Farnworth. They are right near to Farnworth Cricket & Bowling Club. But Farnworth is only something like a few minutes' walk from the area of Great Lever, where I live. The part of Doe Hey brook, near the hospital, where I take the dog, is in Great Lever, but it's just a few minutes' walk from Farnworth, which is on the other side of the hospital.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 1

I think she saw a big black cat. It's been sighted a few times around Bolton for the last nine years or so. Sightings of big cats, especially big blacks cats like puma, are common throughout Britain. I reckon we have them living here in the wild.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 2

You buy me a plane ticket and I'll get you that answer within a week. If she did see a cat I doubt it's a leopard, but of the large cats this would have the highest percentage of possibility due to them being more common in captivity and illegal trade in the UK, Europe, and Asia. If she did see a cat I would guess it's nothing more than a feral or loose domestic cat. These feral cats have been surviving in the wild for many years without natural predators and many are growing fairly large and have been the explanation for other "creatures" such as the Essex lion. I'm sure that most of these people are seeing something real, I just doubt that these sightings are all leopards or other large cats. However, with the risk of sounding wishy-washy I would not completely discount a loose exotic animal based on the history of importation of exotic cats and even with current laws there are still not as many restrictions as there should be just as it is here in the United States.

I also do believe the folktale aspect is causing people to jump to conclusions, but is not completely fueling their perceptions of imagining cats or fabricating stories. Here in the U.S. I document and investigate large cat sightings in the state of Ohio (typically mountain lions). When a rash of these sightings happen many people jump to the conclusion if they witness a large house cat based on their preconceived notions of a large cat on the loose.

Essentially I'm saying that it's possible that some of these sightings may be of large exotic cats (more than likely escaped/released pets), but probably not all of them. It's more likely that these sightings are all large feral cats and the paranoia and folklore surrounding the culture of alien big cats is fueling the stories and enhancing the size of the cats sighted.

Edited by Dr.Brian

Essentially I'm saying that it's possible that some of these sightings may be of large exotic cats (more than likely escaped/released pets), but probably not all of them. It's more likely that these sightings are all large feral cats and the paranoia and folklore surrounding the culture of alien big cats is fueling the stories and enhancing the size of the cats sighted.

If only some sightings may be of real large exotic cats (but not most) how would you differentiate between the two in this particular case (if I could fly you over to investigate personally)?

Isn't this one a lynx? The tail do look like one.

Lynx are indigenous to British Islands, but went extinct there about 750 years ago. So no question if the animal could survive in the wild in UK.

I see talk about reintroducing the species in Britain, but nothing seems to have been done up to October 2015.

So the question would be, is it a feral illegal lynx released (willingly or not) by a careless owner? Or is there an old population of lynx still living in UK (which is probably what the fringe theory hint to).

maxresdefault.jpg

Hi Black Monk. Is there a link or more info about this one? Such as where, when how etc. did anyone check how wide the road is or try to get a scale, were there pug marks in the area, how big etc?

Hi Black Monk. Is there a link or more info about this one? Such as where, when how etc. did anyone check how wide the road is or try to get a scale, were there pug marks in the area, how big etc?

It does look rather small, but it's proportioned like a pantherine. But it does seem too "clean"-the outline is very sharp, and taken with its neutral pose, I'd almost say it's a cut-out. A hoax.

Looking at Bolton and Doe Hay Road on Google Maps, it appears that the location is what is commonly called here in the US, smack dab in the middle of a major Suburb. Looks like a suburb of Manchester (5 miles away). Though the area does sport some green areas, like the stream, and some farms and some golf courses nearby, I suspect there wouldn't be enough game for a big cat, such as a leopard, or cougar, to live off of.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Doe+Hey+Rd,+Bolton+BL3+2LW,+UK/@53.5548324,-2.4127484,3847m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x487ba639a38b54e1:0x4fb7b1afde5bca22