Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ebola - 8 Aid Workers Slaughtered

Timothy

Article here.

So sad - lack of education and belief in hoax. Similar to the Liberia Ebola Center being destroyed.

The 2014 outbreak currently has a fatality rate around 50%. Over 2000 deaths from ~5000 known cases of Ebola.

I really hope they get the message because this is unprecedented in modern times. It is sad that the people it is impacting are heavily contributing to the spread.

• Like 3

Now you why Obama isn't sending in the Peace Corps

• Like 1

Now you why Obama isn't sending in the Peace Corps

Why?

Why?

He's sending 3,000 soldiers, instead. Way to dangerous for civilians.
  • Like 4

Can you imagine this bug reaching major cities (with airports) in Africa? Somehow I think we'll look back and realize that being pennywise was a HUGE mistake.

• Like 1

Can you imagine this bug reaching major cities (with airports) in Africa? Somehow I think we'll look back and realize that being pennywise was a HUGE mistake.

We (Houston) have the largest Nigerian expat population in the U.S.

• Like 1

We (Houston) have the largest Nigerian expat population in the U.S.

i hold high belief that we are obviously above ebola.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know what you mean?

More developed and educated countries face very small chance of an outbreak.

Much more effective management and isolation.

Having said that - there's a large fruit bat population in Melbourne. The main population is 2km from where I live...

We do have the Hendra Virus here but it's not really comparable - Fruit bat can transmit to horse, horse to horse and horse to human. ~60% human fatality rate however apparently no human to human transfer.

More developed and educated countries face very small chance of an outbreak.

Much more effective management and isolation.

Having said that - there's a large fruit bat population in Melbourne. The main population is 2km from where I live...

We do have the Hendra Virus here but it's not really comparable - Fruit bat can transmit to horse, horse to horse and horse to human. ~60% human fatality rate however apparently no human to human transfer.

Yes, we hope that is the case!

But where the disease is "common" and clustered during an outbreak in Africa, in dev countries initial cases brought in from travel abroad would be more sporadic and widespread, which I think carries its own set of recognition, diagnostic and transmission problems. Duncan's (one of only five? ebola patients ever in U.S.) nurse picked it up and went home. That is scary. I hope they solve how this transmission happened. One transmission case here is one too many, in my opinion. And we may see more cases of transmission CDC says from Duncan. This disease is only 40 some years old from what I read, first known outbreak in Africa was in 1976. Are we prepared as well to suit up properly and avoid transmission as aid workers elsewhere where the disease is clustered? Medical life saving treatments he received may be a possible source of transmission, are these routinely performed by aid workers in Africa? Idk? So, imo, dev countries may have their own high quality containment but also possibly their own unique problems?

Edit to add*** My infectious disease expertise is nil. So I'm just throwing out an unqualified opinion, and some of my own questions and concerns.

Edited by QuiteContrary

The biggest concern is how widespread the virus could be in our western societies. The chance of fatality is very low for someone in a western country to die from Ebola compared to one living in Africa. Just based on the quality of the health services and treatments. Only when it becomes too overwhelming for those very services responsible for the high level of treatment do we most likely face a growing fatality rate from Ebola if it were to spread throughout any western countries.