Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who is the better author?

ABOTU

Who is a better horror author?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who is a better horror author?

• Ray Bradbury
    • John Gordon
    • Franz Kafka
    • Guy De Maupassant
    • Alison Prince
    • John Aiken
    • Philip K. Dick
    • Stephen King
    • Edgar Allen Poe
    • John Steinback
    • T.H. White

I know it's a long list it was from a couple of my ghost books. Please vote! original.gif

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ABOTU

• JennRose

• Falco Rex

• gufzoo

Mr. King, no one like him. Ever read Desperation? The most disturbing book i've ever read. That's why i love it soo much grin2.gif

Edited by Janiel

ha ha no I've never read it. Have you heard of the book by Avi called The Man Who Was Poe? I have to go with Poe. But Bradbury and King are really close also...

I didn't know TH White wrote horror. I thought it was mainly Arthurian legends. And Steinbeck? Hororr? I guess I need to get out more.

HP Lovecraft (not listed) freaks me out more than any other author.

Of those listed...hmmm...well, the Shining kept me awake for a whole night once, so I'll go w/ King.

Lots of people write some horror without you knowing it!

Lots of people write some horror without you knowing it!

429605[/snapback]

Obviously from your list that's true, and why I commented. It was out of surprise, not trying to argumental.

I'm not necessarily going with Poe here, but the most freaked out I've ever been was probably while reading "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym". Yizzikes! ohmy.gifno.gifpassifier.gif Wow, that was some messed-up shiite.

i like Poe alot. Maupassant is good too, im not much into horror. too scary.

i like Poe alot. Maupassant is good too, im not much into horror. too scary.

429776[/snapback]

I love horror. Freaks me out but wink2.gif you gotta love it

Stephen King, although I`m mainly into action, spy and sci-fi novels!

I also like Hitchikers guide (being made into a movie!) and DaVinci code. Those and horrors are up there

I havnt even heard of half of these people, but I worship at the alter of the great Edgar Allen Poe. So, I picked him.

Anyone heard of The Martian Chronicles? Who is it by?

Edgar(Edward?) Rice Burroughs I believe. The same guy who wrote the Tarzan series..I'd vote for Kafka on the poll. Everything he wrote's a mind***k in some way..

Oh... I thought it was Ray Bradbury, but what do i know original.gif

I think he may have had a series called the Martian Chronicles, although I haven't read them..I was referring to the John Carpenter of Mars series that was written much earlier though. They were called the Martian Chronicles too..Now, I'm confused.. blink.gif

Ack whatever! Did you know that Ray Bradbury publically was against Michael Moore naming his documentary Farenheit 9/11 since he wrote a book called Farenheit 451

Stephen King. Word to the wise: Never read one of his novels when it's midnight and you're home alone. no.gif

I didn't know about Bradbury objecting to Michael Moore's documentary name, but I can understand why. Every time I hear it I think of the Bradbury novel.

Weird book. Compelling and thought provoking, but on the whole I didn't enjoy it. It was well written, but I don't especially like books that predict a bleak future. Perhaps we need them, though, to show us graphically what there is to avoid. sad.gif

I didn't know about Bradbury objecting to Michael Moore's documentary name, but I can understand why.  Every time I hear it I think of the Bradbury novel.

430402[/snapback]

Moore was trying to draw a parallel; we're supposed to think of Bradbury's book. Fahrenheit 451 is the temperature that books burn (it goes along w/ that novels idea of society banning liberties) and, according to Moore's spin, Fahrenhiet 911 is "the temperature that freedom burns".

Oh, and Bradbury did write the original Martian Chronicles, Believer. I'm not as familiar w/ the John Carpenter Mars series, so it may very well have E.R. Burroughs.

Well, I gotta say Franz Kafka is king. (no relation to Stephen) I've read one of his three novels Amerika and holy cow was it a trip! I'll be starting on The Castle next which will probably just as freaky and insane. Kafka forever! (though Ian Flemming is awesome as well, even if he didn't write horror thumbsup.gif )

Edited by psycho skeptic