Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Great Big Rock Music thread!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JennRose

• girty1600

• twpdyp

• JackBauer

I think there will be a lot more bad covers than good covers wink2.gif

Some that I like:

"My my, hey hey" by Nirvana (Neil Young)

"The Man Who Sold the World" by Nirvana (David Bowie)

"Last Kiss" by Pearl Jam (not sure of the original artist's name).

Some terrible ones include Avril covering a Guns n' Roses song (Knockin' on Heaven's Door), and Will Shatner covering Pulp (Common People). *shudder*

Band that does generally all-around good cover songs, Nirvana.

Girty mentioned one of the all-time worst cover songs: Madonna's horrific version of Don McLean's American Pie. I'm still cryingo n the inside. crying.gif

Yeah, Madonna's "American Pie" was really bad.

Do the original artists actually agree to these covers, or is it their record label?

One of the BEST cover songs I've heard is Johnny Cash's version of the Beatles' song 'In my Life'. (ok, that may not be the title of the song...I need to look it up...but that's the refrain)

One of the BEST cover songs I've heard is Johnny Cash's version of the Beatles' song 'In my Life'.  (ok, that may not be the title of the song...I need to look it up...but that's the refrain)

439218[/snapback]

I haven't heard it. But I did hear Cash's version of "Hurt" by NIN.

Terrible.

Some I like:

Rodney Carrington's redition of"Gin 'n Juice" originally by Snoop Dogg

Dynamite Hack does "Boyz in the Hood" by NWA (I think)

Phish on barbershop songs, those are always good!

Some I don't:

Anything Uncle Kracker remakes

The "Imagine" remake, I am not sure who does it

Do the original artists actually agree to these covers, or is it their record label?

439213[/snapback]

It depends on the song rights and who owns them. For example, Michael Jackson owns all of the Beatles songs, so he can sell them to whomever he likes. After a certain amount of time, the songs are given up to public domain, or remain the property of the artists estate.

One annoying side note: In their CD's credits, Limp Bizcuit misspelled Pete's Townshend's name regarding the Who's 'Behind Blue Eyes'. Ingrates.

Some I like:

Rodney Carrington's redition of"Gin 'n Juice" originally by Snoop Dogg

Dynamite Hack does "Boyz in the Hood" by NWA (I think)

Phish on barbershop songs, those are always good!

Some I don't:

Anything Uncle Kracker remakes

The "Imagine" remake, I am not sure who does it

439223[/snapback]

I haven't heard any of those, except for Lennon's "Imagine", of course. I didn't even know someone did a cover of that song!

It depends on the song rights and who owns them. For example, Michael Jackson owns all of the Beatles songs, so he can sell them to whomever he likes.

That is insanely scary. I wouldn't trust Michael Jackson with my classic songs if I was them. Why doesn't someone like McCartney have the right to them? hmm.gif

That is insanely scary. I wouldn't trust Michael Jackson with my classic songs if I was them. Why doesn't someone like McCartney have the right to them?  hmm.gif

439228[/snapback]

Ha ha...he tried! Michael and Paul were in a bidding war, but Jackson could put up more money and won. They had been friends previously, but haven't since.

Most depressing remake: Rod Stewart's version of Jimi Hendrix's 'Angel'. Why, God, why??!!

Yeah, I think after 50 years the rights go public, I am not sure though.

While we are talking about music rights, I'll go off on a little tangent.

The Simpson's creator, Matt Groening attemted to use the song "Edmund Fitzgerald" by Gordon Light foot for one of the episodes. The problem lied with the fact that ol' Gordie left the rights to the song to all the surviving family members of those that perished on the Edmund Fitzgerald. So Matt needed the permission from 134 people to use the song! grin2.gif

What is it with these artists? What makes them think it's acceptable to remake classic songs and then butcher them?

There's actually one bad that does nothing but covers. They're called Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, and every song they cover is done so that it's pop punk-y. But it's actually done surprisingly well. They've done "Mandy", "Over the Rainbow", and "Yesterday" just to name a couple. Oh, and "Uptown Girl", which I (personally) find their version better!

You know, i haven't heard any good remakes in a while. But one i have is a Nirvana remake.

"Heart Shaped Box"-Evanescence

Other then that, i can't say i've heard a good remake in a while.

Ugh, Evanescence covered Heart Shaped Box?

I was a lot happier not knowing that.

439245[/snapback]

They did it surprisingly well, Dis.

What is it with these artists? What makes them think it's acceptable to remake classic songs and then butcher them?

There's actually one bad that does nothing but covers. They're called Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, and every song they cover is done so that it's pop punk-y. But it's actually done surprisingly well. They've done "Mandy", "Over the Rainbow", and "Yesterday" just to name a couple. Oh, and "Uptown Girl", which I (personally) find their version better!

439236[/snapback]

I think I have heard of that band. Did they remake "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond and "10,000 miles" by the Thompson Twins? If it's the same group then I REALLY like them.......Good stuff, very fresh and fun.

This one is kind of silly, I guess:

You guys know the "Love Theme" from Top Gun, 'Take My Breath Away' (no clue on the original artist)? Our pal Jessica Simpson has re-made it. Dang it, that was the first sex scene I ever saw in a movie, how dare she tarnish my 9 year old memories?? laugh.gif

439245[/snapback]

439247[/snapback]

I'll be the judge of that!

*Makes a note of downloading it later*

I think I have heard of that band. Did they remake "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond and "10,000 miles" by the Thompson Twins? If it's the same group then I REALLY like them.......Good stuff, very fresh and fun.

439252[/snapback]

Yup, that's them! grin2.gif

I really like them, mostly because it's not meant to be serious.

I do have MSN, but I'm not at home right now. I'll PM you my addy and you can add me now, I'll just accept you when I get there.

Another cover that a lot of people really like, (but I don't) is Marilyn Manson's version of "Sweet Dreams". I just thought that the song didn't really fit in such a dark gothic tone.

439245[/snapback]

439247[/snapback]

I'll be the judge of that!

*Makes a note of downloading it later*

439252[/snapback]

Yup, that's them! grin2.gif

I really like them, mostly because it's not meant to be serious.

439261[/snapback]

Oh yeah! They are awesome....ssssssssoooooooooo much fun to hear the old songs (some of them weren't that good in the first place) remade by a punk-like band.

"and if I haver/whatever that means/I'll be the one that's haverin' with you"

ha ha ha grin2.gifw00t.gif

haha yeah it's awesome!

Jenn, you should check them out if you haven't already.

439280[/snapback]

Yeah, I will. I've never heard of them, but you guys seem to have excellent taste. original.gif

I am downloading some of their stuff right now, I had kind of forgot about them until today.

I like the remake of "whiskey in the jar" and some other songs that Metallica did on Garage INC.