Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Should climate change have been on the agenda

climate change presidential debate

  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    Karlis

Karlis

  • Member
  • 8,614 posts
  • Joined:19 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

Should climate change have been on the agenda at last night’s debate?

By David Wogan |  October 4, 2012

President Obama and Governor Romney only peripherally approached climate change last night when talking about domestic energy issues like green jobs, Solyndra, and Romney’s love for coal. ... Read more


#2    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 35,418 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

Yeh well, what did you expect there? Kettle black?

They are both not very interested.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#3    Karlis

Karlis

  • Member
  • 8,614 posts
  • Joined:19 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 05 October 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

Yeh well, what did you expect there? Kettle black?

They are both not very interested.
What do you think that reflects on their stand for President?


#4    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 35,418 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

View PostKarlis, on 05 October 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

What do you think that reflects on their stand for President?

I think it does not matter much at this point, the bill is being written and we will have to pay.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#5    Karlis

Karlis

  • Member
  • 8,614 posts
  • Joined:19 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 05 October 2012 - 05:20 PM, said:

I think it does not matter much at this point, the bill is being written and we will have to pay.
So -- your opinion on, *Politics in action* is not optimistic? :cry:


#6    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 35,418 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

View PostKarlis, on 05 October 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

So -- your opinion on, *Politics in action* is not optimistic? :cry:

it could have made a big difference ten years ago, now it may make a little difference.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#7    Karlis

Karlis

  • Member
  • 8,614 posts
  • Joined:19 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 05 October 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

it could have made a big difference ten years ago, now it may make a little difference.
And -- that opinion is still debatable, imo.


#8    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 35,418 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

View PostKarlis, on 05 October 2012 - 05:31 PM, said:

And -- that opinion is still debatable, imo.

You can debate anything, even try to debate facts away. The facts don't care.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#9    RavenHawk

RavenHawk

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 3,036 posts
  • Joined:09 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

What kind of climate change are you talking about?  The mythical anthropomorphic or just natural climate change?  If we incorrectly identify the problem and Instead of adapting to the natural cycle of mother nature, we blame man for something we have no control over, then we throw trillions of our wealth down the drain.  Man pollutes his environment, so we should focus on cleaning that up so that we can deal with climate change better.  Pollution doesn't affect if it is going to get colder or warmer but it may affect the severity.  And cleaning up our environment is far cheaper than trying to hold back the change of climate.

*Signature removed* Forum Rules

#10    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

    Fact Corrector

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • Joined:10 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Apple Valley, MN. Wrestling Capital of the U.S.

  • Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

Here in the US we do not care about climate change. We will be fine, we have money (well at least the strongest military in the world.) The ones that need to worry are the poor countries and we do we not care about them...

Edited by HuttonEtAl, 05 October 2012 - 05:57 PM.

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

#11    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 35,418 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

View PostRavenHawk, on 05 October 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

What kind of climate change are you talking about?  The mythical anthropomorphic or just natural climate change?  If we incorrectly identify the problem and Instead of adapting to the natural cycle of mother nature, we blame man for something we have no control over, then we throw trillions of our wealth down the drain.  Man pollutes his environment, so we should focus on cleaning that up so that we can deal with climate change better.  Pollution doesn't affect if it is going to get colder or warmer but it may affect the severity.  And cleaning up our environment is far cheaper than trying to hold back the change of climate.

I wonder how cheap it is to sequester all those climate gasses sequestered by nature in the carboniferous, leading to a more moderate climate, that we have put back in since 1700...

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#12    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 35,418 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

View PostHuttonEtAl, on 05 October 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

Here in the US we do not care about climate change. We will be fine, we have money (well at least the strongest military in the world,) the ones that need to worry are the poor countries we do we not care about them...

You could not be more wrong, in the poor countries people are accustomed to be hungry without starting a riot.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#13    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

    Fact Corrector

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • Joined:10 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Apple Valley, MN. Wrestling Capital of the U.S.

  • Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

View PostRavenHawk, on 05 October 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

What kind of climate change are you talking about?  The mythical anthropomorphic or just natural climate change?  If we incorrectly identify the problem and Instead of adapting to the natural cycle of mother nature, we blame man for something we have no control over, then we throw trillions of our wealth down the drain.  Man pollutes his environment, so we should focus on cleaning that up so that we can deal with climate change better.  Pollution doesn't affect if it is going to get colder or warmer but it may affect the severity.  And cleaning up our environment is far cheaper than trying to hold back the change of climate.

This debate is the same as the evolution one...the only people that do not believe it are the US and Canada. Climate change is a fact, proven by scientific evidence. This is not debated in the scientific world, this is a political argument. The climate change happening now is NOT the natural climate change you speak of and we have the data to prove that.

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

#14    Karlis

Karlis

  • Member
  • 8,614 posts
  • Joined:19 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

View PostHuttonEtAl, on 05 October 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

This debate is the same as the evolution one...the only people that do not believe it are the US and Canada. Climate change is a fact, proven by scientific evidence. This is not debated in the scientific world, this is a political argument. The climate change happening now is NOT the natural climate change you speak of and we have the data to prove that.
To rephrase part of your post from another angle, HuttonEtAl:

~~~ ... Climate change is an assumed fact, based on scientific evidence. This is not debated in the scientific world, this is a political argument. ...




#15    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

    Fact Corrector

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • Joined:10 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Apple Valley, MN. Wrestling Capital of the U.S.

  • Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:08 PM

View PostKarlis, on 05 October 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

To rephrase part of your post from another angle, HuttonEtAl:



~~~ ... Climate change is an assumed fact, based on scientific evidence. This is not debated in the scientific world, this is a political argument. ...


Damn it, I would going to rephrase what I said to say it was a fact and not proven, because nothing in science can be proven...I figured everyone would get what I meant...you caught me though.

Edited by HuttonEtAl, 05 October 2012 - 06:09 PM.

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users