Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Attention Guitar players

F3SS

I'm not going to ask anything stupid like how long will it take me to be good. I have a huge regret for never learning to play. I've had an electric guitar since I was 9, or around 25 years now. I ought to be a virtuoso by now. Through the years I've putzed around in spurts but aside from simple tabs nothing really ever clicked with me, especially chords. Anyhow, almost two months ago an urge and determination came over me and I pulled it out of the case and decided its time I figure this out. So, in this short time I think I've been making great progress. Things have begun to click with me. I know an easy dozen chords and have little problem learning new ones. I'm beginning to get better at reading along and playing tabs without picking one note at a time and getting lost. Finger muscle memory is kicking in and day by day it I become a little more fluid with my transitions. Chords on the other hand, my transitions still need lots of work and barre chords, especially on the lower half of the fret board, will halt any fluidity I may have been producing. I know the formations but getting a clean strum on a barre chord just isn't happening naturally yet. Also, Rocksmith on PS3 is a godsend. Hoping for the much improved Rocksmith 2014 for Xmas and if not I'm grabbing it the day after. I practice anywhere from one or usually two to several hours a day. Currently I am practicing with a lot of Metallica and Iron Maiden riffs and a lot of random classic rock too.

So my questions are just out of curiosity to see what it took you to become a guitar player.

How long have you been playing?

How much did you practice?

Self taught or teacher or both?

How long before you'd say you'd consider yourself good?

Do you play by sheet music, tabs or are you awesome enough to play simply by ear?

What was the first song you nailed note for note that seemed impossible in the beginning?

Ok, one stupid question... Will barre chords ever become as easy a C chord?

What kind of guitar do you have and have you acquired a collection over time?

Can you recommend a guitar that looks and sounds metal?

I actually had more questions but now I forget. Well, I'm sure more will come from conversation if I get some replies.

• Like 1

hey F3SS, not sure i'm a guitar "player" .. but i do play with guitars. lol

Have FUN plaiying F3SS !

So my questions are just out of curiosity to see what it took you to become a guitar player.

How long have you been playing? ... about 46 years

How much did you practice? ... a few hours a week

Self taught or teacher or both? ... self and observation

How long before you'd say you'd consider yourself good? ... I don't know yet ;

Do you play by sheet music, tabs or are you awesome enough to play simply by ear? ... more by nose, poorly.. I can play harmonica by ear though.

What was the first song you nailed note for note that seemed impossible in the beginning? ... don't play much 'other's' stuff... i play a nice version of silent night on acoustic though ;0) .. i play and 'sing' my own songs.. and have evolved my own way of picking on chords.. which sounds great.... sometimes lol

Ok, one stupid question... Will barre chords ever become as easy a C chord? ... Not in my experience lol

What kind of guitar do you have and have you acquired a collection over time? ... now, a beautiful old Guild acoustic and a fender "bullet" electric

Can you recommend a guitar that looks and sounds metal? Not really i guess... but i can put my peavy practice amp on {{{{{ MELTDOWN }}}}} hehe.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 3

Nice thanks. Can't go wrong with meltdown. Just curious to hear about the experience of others.

Edit: after 46 years I'm sure you've got more than silent night up your sleeve.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 1

I gave up after a few years ... never had it in me I guess ... thing is I had too much already 'known' before I started I had the greats tunes already in my head and my hands just ain't good enough ... and when it dawned on me I'll never be as good as a Clapton or Page ... I just laid my ibanez to rest ... gave it away to a kid who had some talent ... don't know where he is now ... last I heard he was playing in the pub circuits so he must be some kind of good :lol:

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just over a month later I've been playing Free Bird on Rocksmith for three weeks, 65 plays at this moment. Basic chord transitions getting easy. At 9:25 long it's great for endurance and jamming.

I never took any lessons, just picked up a guitar because I am very passionate about my music, and I just wanted to try, even though everyone thought I was crazy and would go nowhere. At first i almost gave up, but i persisted and it was a few riffs of smoke on the water, breaking the law and basic stuff for me like Ramones.

Then it was Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Iron maiden and stuff. I honestly could not believe how easy some of those songs were, the faster distorted stuff felt natural to me. I can play a few solos too, and can improvise OK if i can't play exactly.

I kinda struggle with the melodic clean blues stuff, even the simple ones, but I can play Raining Blood alright. I am mostly interested in rhythm guitar.

I've only been playing for like 2-3 years now, and I've taken huge gaps in those 2-3 years too, the only thing that's stopping me is my work (and a bit of my laziness to hook up my guitar rig).

How long have you been playing ? Since late 2010

How much did you practice ? I'd say like 4 hours a week

Self taught ? Yes (Youtube helped)

How long before I'm good? I'm functional, but can be decent if I find time

Tabs or ear ? I can play along with my ear, but I'm comfortable with tabs (Since old metal albums can have bad production)

First song I nailed note for note that seemed impossible ? Slayer - Post Mortem

Guitar collection ? Just one crappy cheap guitar.

Guitar that looks and sounds metal ?

ESP Explorer (Just the most awesome design if you ask me)

Jackson Randy Rhoads rr24

Dean VX flying V

Schecter Blackjack atx v-1 (My favorite)

Metal on brother!

• Like 3

Hey man, I love guitaring for me its been 20yrs in the making. I have upgraded my skills to hopeful, which is slightly better than hopeless. I dont read music or take lessons. I have one or two guitars lying around. Learnt most my basics from mates and drifters.

I dont consider myself gifted, Its been very hard work just to fluke 'Wish you were here'.

Great to hear you are grinding that axe most nights.

Like they say, 'A rolling stone gathers no moss' so just keep on a rollin' :tu: .

• Like 2

I'm not going to ask anything stupid like how long will it take me to be good. I have a huge regret for never learning to play. I've had an electric guitar since I was 9, or around 25 years now. I ought to be a virtuoso by now. Through the years I've putzed around in spurts but aside from simple tabs nothing really ever clicked with me, especially chords. Anyhow, almost two months ago an urge and determination came over me and I pulled it out of the case and decided its time I figure this out. So, in this short time I think I've been making great progress. Things have begun to click with me. I know an easy dozen chords and have little problem learning new ones. I'm beginning to get better at reading along and playing tabs without picking one note at a time and getting lost. Finger muscle memory is kicking in and day by day it I become a little more fluid with my transitions. Chords on the other hand, my transitions still need lots of work and barre chords, especially on the lower half of the fret board, will halt any fluidity I may have been producing. I know the formations but getting a clean strum on a barre chord just isn't happening naturally yet. Also, Rocksmith on PS3 is a godsend. Hoping for the much improved Rocksmith 2014 for Xmas and if not I'm grabbing it the day after. I practice anywhere from one or usually two to several hours a day. Currently I am practicing with a lot of Metallica and Iron Maiden riffs and a lot of random classic rock too.

Do you play by sheet music, tabs or are you awesome enough to play simply by ear?

What was the first song you nailed note for note that seemed impossible in the beginning?

I actually had more questions but now I forget. Well, I'm sure more will come from conversation if I get some replies.

Very cool NEVER too late to start, I got serious when I was about 23, byt the time I was 27 I had a band and was playing gigs. Awesome lifestyle, spent about 11 years touring the East Coast of Australia as well as working constructions sites as an electrician. It was a great life, I played my last gig when my wife was about 7 months pregnant with my son, played at the Coolangatta Hotel supporting the Radiators.

How long have you been playing? - for about 25 years, but not so much for the last ten, just at home with the kids.

How much did you practice? - When I started, every night for a good 2-3 hours, but I lived in a flat as a young man, in an apprenticeship so money was tight, and not much else to do, after a while I was playing so many gigs I had no time to practise much any more.

Self taught or teacher or both? - Both. I started out self taught, and went to a teacher for a few years to break all the bad habits I had taught myself - like only strumming down, that is common and hard to break. It taught me oodles about playing lead too. PIcked up awesome tips about holding the pick, artificial harmonics, and just flexing the pick between your fingers for a little more speed.

How long before you'd say you'd consider yourself good? - LOL, two nights, but nobody else thought so!! I had a friend who wanted t o be a drummer, after I had been messing with the guitar for 6 months, I talked him into following his dream, and we started up our own band, we left that band and never worked again after about 3 years, but we did remain firm friends, and supported each other at gigs as often as was possible. I found playing in a band, and having to know your cues and changes really sharpened my playing up.

Do you play by sheet music, tabs or are you awesome enough to play simply by ear? - All, started by ear, moved onto tabs (had to buy magazines back then no internet in the day) and the lessons helped me grasp sheet. At home I like to learn by ear. I feel accomplished when I do it for myself. Ear is nt that hard if your ear is in tune. Do you tune your guitar by ear? I did and do, it keeps your sharp.

What was the first song you nailed note for note that seemed impossible in the beginning? - Ohh so many memories........ INXS I think with Devil Inside was the first real riff I stumbled upon and impressed myself with, I think the first song I played with a band start to finish was Hey Joe. I had two firm favourite for playing lead, that I felt I had worked hard at, got the solos down note for note, and loved playing - Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd, and FreeBird by Lynyrd Skynyrd, as I got huge ovations at every gig for not just playing them, but my antics (bit of an Angus Young influence on stage in my day :D ) but to this day, the most satisfying songs I have played with an entire band would be a toss up between the Cranberries Zombie and Zeppelin's The Rover.

Ok, one stupid question... Will barre chords ever become as easy a C chord? - LOL, yes! Power Chords should suffice for what you are playing, but stick with proper barre chords for now, power chords are the lazy way out, and how most metal is played. Not saying metal is lazy, but power chords are.

What kind of guitar do you have and have you acquired a collection over time? - My favourite is my Studio Les Paul - to my mind, Les Paul Guitars are the finest ever crafted and designed, I do have a very unusual strat that was a limited release, but I could never get a strat to sound like Clapton, and it frustrated the hell out of me, when I tried Les Paul, that was it for me, I was in love. I still have about 14 guitars and 3 amps. I should line them up and post a picture :D

I have to say, with the Fender, I have a Tele copy, and I have to say, I really quite like it.

Some Strats have this huge piece of aluminium under the scratch plate for earthing, I was playing a gig at Fishermans wharf one time way back when, and it acted like an antenna, and Taxis started coming through the amp!! Nice guitars, but personally, I am not a big fan of Strats.

I do not think any guitar has even looked or sounded as metal as a BC Rich Warlock. But the Flying V is a classic and very cool shape that is more to my tastes.

Good Luck mate!! Let Us know how you get on! It s wonderful talent to learn, I wish you all the very best. I still teach a couple of kids on a Saturday.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 3

F3SS,

What great questions!

The desire to play. I couldn't stand not being able to play what I was hearing in my head.

12 years now. I started when most other people wouldn't, I wasn't young when I picked up the guitar.

The best advice I ever got was from a friend of mine who I truly think of as a great guitarist, he said practice no less than 15 minutes a day. If you want to play more that's great but forcing yourself to spend time if you're not in the mood is negative reinforcement. If young or new players were told this about any instrument I think more would stick with it.

Self taught. I had piano lessons when I was a preteen and hated them, mostly because the teacher wasn't very good. I told her that I was having issues and she didn't take what I was saying seriously. In primer books they have finger position numbers along with the notes and I was learning the numbers not the notes. Her solution was to take a pencil and block out the numbers which you could see through the pencil marks. I knew I wasn't learning from her what I needed to and I quit.

Well..... I'm not worried about being anyone other than me and I'm as good as I am. I can always get better and it's a thrill when I know I've reached a new level of playing. For me better is more relaxed, especially onstage.

Tabs. Each one of these interconnect and aren't more important (IMHO) than any other way of learning a song.

If you strictly play sheet music you can learn any song that's been written out that way or tabbed, without having to wait for another player who knows the song and can share it with you.

But if you only play sheet music and can learn no other way it limits your ability to learn a song from others or jamming.

Lilly of the Valley by Queen. Brian May and his darn extra digits! I am currently working on Ogre Battle.

I hate barre chords with a vengeance! I am not a big person and barring isn't easy for me. Granted I learned on an acoustic guitar and baring on one isn't as easy as it is on an electric and it did make me have stronger hands learning acoustic first.

I have several guitars :blush:. I love them all for their difference. Yes they were acquired over the past several years. Most of them were pre-loved or rescued from bad homes. My first love is my old Alverez six string. Her name is Rosie! (Yes! I name my guitars.) I have a Burns "Red Special" copy. An Electra guitar that I completely reworked. Someone had really abused it so I carved and refinished it. It has the sweetest little neck on him. If I remember to charge my phone I'll take a photo and upload it.

My best advice... go for what sound you like and what feels right in your hands. The music comes from both of you not what either of you 'look' like.

By the way, I'm a female lol! Some of the musicians guitarist who have inspired me were- Brian May, Robert Fripp, Alex Lifeson, Frank Zappa, Joe Perry, Johnny Ramone, Robert Quine, Jimmy Page and let's not forget Nancy Wilson.

Regards,

Mabon.

• Like 4

Thanks for the great and long posts guys. Going to work, will comment later on...

• Like 2

John,

Not that I can play a whole lot of anything hard but the more I get to know more songs the easier they appear to be. Even though I'm still a rookie I do realize that some hardcore songs aren't as far out of reach as I would've once imagined.

Psyche,

That's all pretty impressive. You were like a mini rock star for a while,

No I'm not ear tuning yet. iPhones and clip-on tuners make one lazy about that but it is in my eventual plans.

So long as I keep it up, and I think I will, eventually I might see a teacher for a while for similar reasons.

I can strum the basic chords for comfortably numb fairly decent but that's about it. It's a favorite, a classic and a must learn for me eventually. Free Bird is my jam ATM though. I do the rhythm on the first half almost entirely without looking and has done wonders for me as far as strumming up and down not to mention just getting comfortable with a lot of the basic chords in general. I utilize Rocksmith a whole lot but I also practice a lot without it. It is an amazing teaching tool though. Like a teacher with unlimited patience. As for the solo, well every time I play anymore I get a little better and they throw more and more notes at me every few times. Just after I made that post last night a whole lot of things happened for me such as just nailing more notes clearer and more comfortably. For a while that solo seemed so intense and fast. It is but it's not so intimidating and I'm not so tense and clumsy with it.

I have avoided power chords thus far. I've been hearing they're a cheap way out. I'll get to them as they seem necessary but I'm all about pushing myself right now. I want to nail barre chords. I'm a lot better than a month ago but sometimes they still come out a bit clunky but not inaudible like they used to be when they sounds more like string mutes than chords. Making strides though. It seems every five to seven days I just get launched into the next level of skill seemingly out of nowhere. Suddenly my hands just start doing things naturally that took a ton of effort only a short time ago.

That's a heck of a collection you've got. I must agree. I've since done some research and the Warlock looks about as metal as it gets IMO too. They aren't unreasonably priced but I have yet to hold and play one. If it feels good though I'd probably get one in the future. I also now love the look of some new gibson semi-hollow bodies. I think they just sweet looking, not metal though. More like Roy Orbison, another favorite of mine.

Mabon,

I'm crushing the 15 minute mark. Been consistently a few hours a day and you're right about mood though. A time or two I tried to play because 'it was time to practice' and I just drew blanks.

I agree about the 'looks' thing. I know it doesn't really matter but ehh, well maybe it does a little. That Warlock is sick looking.

Sounds like you've got some real talent but I think I've covered all I can ATM.

Lastly, I never divulged. My guitar is a '72 Les Paul Gibson deluxe.

Edit: last week I discovered scales, so I've been messing with that a bit. Seems to be the secret to success far as I can tell.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 2

Some musicians speak of "plateaus" in learning progress. Pretty soon, barre chords will be the the easiest most comfortable way to play. Work with the 5th fret barre A. I've been playing for 35 years, at least an hour a day... and i don't know ONE song, outside my own, true! Ultimately it's not about doing songs, or being good... it's just keeping your creative urges alive and well. Also, take time off. Sometimes i make the best progress by not practicing for a few days. I'm strictly acoustic, though LOVE electric.

• Like 1

Some musicians speak of "plateaus" in learning progress. Pretty soon, barre chords will be the the easiest most comfortable way to play. Work with the 5th fret barre A. I've been playing for 35 years, at least an hour a day... and i don't know ONE song, outside my own, true! Ultimately it's not about doing songs, or being good... it's just keeping your creative urges alive and well. Also, take time off. Sometimes i make the best progress by not practicing for a few days. I'm strictly acoustic, though LOVE electric.

I'll look that chord up as I currently don't know it. I'll tell you my biggest barre foe so far is the B chord. I haven't practiced it a lot honestly. I know that's all it takes but man dies it jack up a song for me when it comes. No biggie, I'll get there. That's a bit crazy that you don't know any songs but your own. Hey, whatever floats your boat though and I'm sure with 35 years you could play whatever you want if you desired. But thanks for the tip. I'll be checking that chord tonight,

• Like 1

Psyche,

:st

That's all pretty impressive. You were like a mini rock star for a while,

:D

Funny you should say that, my last job (I was there for 20 years) my nickname was Rockstar :D Many people in the field still call me "Rocky" LOL.

It felt like that too! At one stage I was in a band called Steel Rain that was quite successful, we even had a bunch of fans who used to hire a mini bus and follow us around the coast. One of the blokes made up a photo Album of our gigs for the band one Christmas, the Drummer ended up with it though. Things like that are more satisfying and enjoyable than I can put in words.

No I'm not ear tuning yet. iPhones and clip-on tuners make one lazy about that but it is in my eventual plans.

So long as I keep it up, and I think I will, eventually I might see a teacher for a while for similar reasons.

Give it a go, it's not that hard, and immensely handy to know.

I sure recommend seeing a teacher, the bloke I saw as awesome, and made me want to play more. When you hit those brick walls, it is great to have someone throw you a rope.

I can strum the basic chords for comfortably numb fairly decent but that's about it. It's a favorite, a classic and a must learn for me eventually. Free Bird is my jam ATM though. I do the rhythm on the first half almost entirely without looking and has done wonders for me as far as strumming up and down not to mention just getting comfortable with a lot of the basic chords in general.

Sounds like we have very similar tastes :D

I know it might sounds corny, but Stairway to Heaven is a real good piece for your fingers, you have plucking picking, open chords and barre chords, it;s a great all rounder and does sound very pleasant played even half well. Quite an acrobatic piece.

I utilize Rocksmith a whole lot but I also practice a lot without it. It is an amazing teaching tool though. Like a teacher with unlimited patience. As for the solo, well every time I play anymore I get a little better and they throw more and more notes at me every few times. Just after I made that post last night a whole lot of things happened for me such as just nailing more notes clearer and more comfortably. For a while that solo seemed so intense and fast. It is but it's not so intimidating and I'm not so tense and clumsy with it.

LOL had to Google Rocksmith! New Fangled gadgets LOL. I had a metronome to work with, glad I mentioned that - get a metronome, especially for scales! Start at 80bpm or so, and work up. Another very valuable tool.

It's a series of hurdles alright, but they get further apart and lower as time wears on. They never disappear though.

I have avoided power chords thus far. I've been hearing they're a cheap way out. I'll get to them as they seem necessary but I'm all about pushing myself right now. I want to nail barre chords. I'm a lot better than a month ago but sometimes they still come out a bit clunky but not inaudible like they used to be when they sounds more like string mutes than chords. Making strides though. It seems every five to seven days I just get launched into the next level of skill seemingly out of nowhere. Suddenly my hands just start doing things naturally that took a ton of effort only a short time ago.

You heard right, nothing to learn there, a lazy barre chord is all really using the top three strings, I personally prefer to play open chords where I can, I like the ring they have, and barre chords make my hand cramp after a long time. Angus Young often uses open chords, and I like that sound.

Hit "The Hendrix" Chord yet? E 7 sharp 9? It's wicked cool :D If not, chase that one down, it's about all you need for Foxy Lady! :D

Before long you will be playing without looking at your fingers. If not already. Singing and playing is tricky though I find.

That's a heck of a collection you've got. I must agree. I've since done some research and the Warlock looks about as metal as it gets IMO too. They aren't unreasonably priced but I have yet to hold and play one. If it feels good though I'd probably get one in the future. I also now love the look of some new gibson semi-hollow bodies. I think they just sweet looking, not metal though. More like Roy Orbison, another favorite of mine.

Quite proud of it :D

Took a few years, and I might not be playing gigs anymore, but I am not finished collecting, I still want a double neck in the collection. I expanded it with a Dobro a couple of years ago when I saw a full chrome one I could not resist, and I had always wanted one. I have a Yamaha 12 string that I converted to semi acoustic myself, it's a not that hard to play, but a lovely full sound. Worth the effort of the extra wide neck and covering two strings at once.

I have a semi hollow, it had a Gibson looking body, and a fender looking neck, no idea what it is, I do not know if it is some cheap brand that went broke, a rare guitar, or just a mishmash someone put together, but it has a real good Chilli Peppers sound to it when I plug it in. It's a mongrel dirty looking thing, but I am quite attached to it.

The more you mention artists, the more I like your tastes in music. Roy was a classic, I quite like his work in the Travelling Willburys too.

:w00t:

Maaaaaaateeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gold-star.jpg

You sure have my approval!

I was watching "Pawn Stars" The other night with my wife, and some bloke wandered in with a Les Paul, and he wanted to sell it, he said it was a 63 custom, I took one look at it and said to the wife "That's not a '63, if it is, I'll eat my hat, that's someplace between '71 and '74. Turned out to be a '72 :D

Finest guitars ever made IMHO. Nothing sustains like a Les Paul I reckon.

Edit: last week I discovered scales, so I've been messing with that a bit. Seems to be the secret to success far as I can tell.

Minor Pentatonic to start with I hope?

Cheers mate - keep us updated!! :D Loving this! Great therapy for an old bloke with an impending middle aged crisis!! :DGlory days...... lol

Edited by psyche101

I'll look that chord up as I currently don't know it.

On the 5th? If he means an "E" shaped barre chord, that's a A, and you will find form the 5th (or 3rd_ fret up, barre chords are much easier) makes sense, less pressure needed. If an "A" shaped barre chord, that's a D.

You should be able to play an E shaped barre chord on the fifth fret, and then play an open A and they should sound the same.

Don't forget that Hendrix chord, it rocks big time!! :D

Edited by psyche101

Well Rocky, was curious so I tried looking up Steel Rain. This is about all I came up with... http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Steel_Rain/3540275776 Is that you guys?

Nothing corny about Stairway. I'll be glad to put it in my eventual portfolio.

Rocksmith, the latest one, has it all. It's more a tool than a game. It's got a cool feature called Session Mode. You select one of dozens of scales, pick from dozens of instruments in four categories or less if desired that act as a backup band, set your BPM with the built in metronome and start playing. So long as you play within the chosen scales the backup band keeps up with your pace. It's really cool and comprehensive. It's also got dozens of lessons for all types of things all with video and a grade-scale-like interaction which you don't pass until you get it right. Everything from holding a guitar and pick to hand mutes, harmonics, various bending lessons, hammer one, pull offs, tremolo, vibrato ect.. Each with four or five progressively advanced lessons and a final master class. All the reviews and commentary I've read say it's more than enough for a beginner or anyone whose been playing for a good while but might be mundane for highly experienced professionals. Snag a copy, you might enjoy it.

Hendrix chord noted!

Yea that's quite the collection and the Willburys are amazing and my most played Pandora channel. There could never be such a collaboration of talent again. I'm a big Petty fan too. Seen him live many times.

Thanks! I've never heard a bad thing about it. Not the greatest pic, took it with my phone a while back. It's much cleaner and isn't nearly as foggy as smeary as it appears here.

post-117199-0-72105700-1390518744_thumb.

You guessed it! Found this handy little site... http://www.guitarists.net/guitar_scales/

Glad I could help with your crisis. :)

How long have you been playing? I started as a bass player when I was 17 (2001) in a metal band called MeatHuk, It was about 2 years later that I picked up guitar, so I already new my way around a fret board when I first started.

How much did you practice? I spend about 1-2 hours a day playing music, usually guitar, but not always.

Self taught or teacher or both? Both

How long before you'd say you'd consider yourself good? Never really thought of it that way. When I could play a song all the way through without mistakes, I considered myself a guitar player. When I learned to sing and play at the same time I felt it was an accomplishment, free styling alongside others was another accomplishment. Never stop advancing, there is always a next level

Do you play by sheet music, tabs or are you awesome enough to play simply by ear? I can follow most acoustic or clean stuff by ear but I would prefer to have a tab, I can translates sheet music to tab but have never really pushed myself to play by sheet music alone, get Power Tab man you can get tabs for pretty much anything, and it plays them for you.

What was the first song you nailed note for note that seemed impossible in the beginning? I don't remember but it was one of three: Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt, About a Girl by Nirvana, or Alone by Downface. I went through this 90's Unplugged stage that really boosted my understanding of music theory.

Ok, one stupid question... Will barre chords ever become as easy a C chord? The barre chord that was always hardest for me was that first F, it still gives me trouble, but I feel like a cheater if I wrap my thumb to pin down that first fret. I would suggest getting your power chords down so you can flow through them with ease, it wont sound off key playing power chords instead of barre chords until you get the positions down. Give it time and you will flow through barre chords just a easily as open chords.

What kind of guitar do you have and have you acquired a collection over time? I have a couple of Fenders, a Fender T Bucket, and a stratacoustic, a custom archtop I built, a Squire strat, and a couple of cheap Johnson acoustics, I also have an vintage Yamaha parlor guitar.

Can you recommend a guitar that looks and sounds metal? I'm a Fender guy, for metal I guess Ibanez has a corner on the market, but I would love a Les Paul, who can argue with Zakk Wylde??? You can rebuild anything into a BEAST if you put your mind to it.

• Like 3

Thanks Cait. I have Power Tabs just haven't used it very much yet. I like Ibanez too and you can't really argue with Zakk.

• Like 1

~snip

- scales :yes:

familiar with Mimi FOx ? Its the rave among my friend who are players and listeners lately all things guitar ... rock or metal, acoustic and electric - Mimi FOx pdf link

~

~

• Mimi Fox youtube topic link Mimi 'Fast Fingers' Fox

• PLenty of her lessons by way of the mighty googs -

When Mimi Fox was eleven, she started teaching guitar lessons out of her house. That's right – eleven years old

:lol:

~

- scales :yes:

familiar with Mimi FOx ? Its the rave among my friend who are players and listeners lately all things guitar ... rock or metal, acoustic and electric - Mimi FOx pdf link

~

[media=]

[/media]

~

• Mimi Fox youtube topic link Mimi 'Fast Fingers' Fox

• PLenty of her lessons by way of the mighty googs -

:lol:

~

Thanks for the link... i WILL check it out...

• Like 1

I'll look that chord up as I currently don't know it. I'll tell you my biggest barre foe so far is the B chord. I haven't practiced it a lot honestly. I know that's all it takes but man dies it jack up a song for me when it comes. No biggie, I'll get there. That's a bit crazy that you don't know any songs but your own. Hey, whatever floats your boat though and I'm sure with 35 years you could play whatever you want if you desired. But thanks for the tip. I'll be checking that chord tonight,

Yeah, you already know the chord. It's the E, just slide it up to the 5th fret. Think in terms of chords 'shapes'... they all slide up/down the neck. If you don't do barre, you have to pick out the notes, but the chord shape is the same.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the link... i WILL check it out...

I'm listening now.. nice, powerful. a bit of Tom Waits, Patty Smith, Stevie Ray... feminine, soulful... true to herself. nice tones and some marvelous 'riffs'. Oh, yeah... don't know my jazz players... but them too!

• Like 1

I'm listening now.. nice, powerful. a bit of Tom Waits, Patty Smith, Stevie Ray... feminine, soulful... true to herself. nice tones and some marvelous 'riffs'. Oh, yeah... don't know my jazz players... but them too!

NOt to be dismissive of the Metal Rockers but MImi will find the rock stuff elementary ... even Pagey's stuff ... SHe's quite up there among the masters ~

, PIzzarelli's and
and many many more ~

~

~

• Like 1

NOt to be dismissive of the Metal Rockers but MImi will find the rock stuff elementary ... even Pagey's stuff ... SHe's quite up there among the masters ~

, PIzzarelli's and
and many many more ~

~

[media=]

[/media]

~

Tommy Emmanuel... born to play. quite possibly the best i'll ever see. True to himself, it seems. Just letting his talent flower full on. Who does he hang with, Django?

Not sure about Tommy mate ... come to think of it Tommy been quite quiet for some time now ~ haven't heard about or from him in a while ~

YEah he's an amazing player but I also find his material a bit on the 'cold' side ... over produced ... don't know how to say it but to me its kinda like an over sold 'famous best in the world' restaurant made pizza which is as good as granma's kitchen dough plop in the oven ~ both is as tasty but I'll always go for an intimate slice of granma's home cooked splash and dash ~

:)

Edited by third_eye