Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are Mormons a cult ?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1    mfrmboy

mfrmboy

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

• Beam Moo Up!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints .. the Mormons are they a cult as are the Jehova's Witnesses?  I was taught this growing up in church ( Southern Baptist ).

One man's TOOL is another man's TOY ! :tu:

#2    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,208 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

Eh, aren't they all?  Depends on perspective -

cult

[kuhlt]

a particular system of religious worship,especially with reference to its rites andceremonies.

an instance of great veneration of a person,ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by abody of admirers: the physical fitness cult.3.
the object of such devotion.

a group or sect bound together byveneration of the same thing, person, ideal,etc.

Sociology . a group having a sacred ideologyand a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.

Nibs

Edited by HerNibs, 06 November 2012 - 02:37 PM.

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#3    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,266 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

All religions are cults, doesn't mean if its unheard of or rare does not mean its a cult

#4    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

So, all religions are cults. Awesome! Cult sounds way cooler then religion anyway. 'So what religion are you?' 'I'm of the Catholic cult.'

Posted Image

~MEH~

#5    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,259 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

The word cult is virtually meaningless unless you pre-define it.

In some christian circles, LDS, JW's, Unitarians, and sometimes Quakers are labeled as "Christian Cults" but it isn't suppose to carry the negative connotation that most people associate with the word. They get called Christian Cults for the simple fact that they aren't Trinitarians.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#6    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

Religions are organized,and should worship a deity of some kind ,without personal liberties being exploited.
Monies are donated .

Cults usually have a human leader ,who designates who does what,and limits members freedoms.
Money is requested ,not donated . ie scientology or EST .
Some cults worship some sort of idol ,but there is always a human at the helm ,who controls it all.
And please don't akin the Pope to this kind of figure head.
Popes are appointed by a jury of peers.
Cult heads are self appointed .

These are very key differences in my opinion .
Mormons believe in god and heaven ,and do no harm .

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 06 November 2012 - 03:06 PM.

Miss me?

#7    Winter Summer

Winter Summer

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 191 posts

• You're not where you left yourself.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

The head of the Mormon church, with the title of president, is also elected by peers.

Silence often says much more
Than trying to say what's been said before.

#8    mfrmboy

mfrmboy

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

• Beam Moo Up!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for your replies ! I was thinking along the lines of the Moonies or the Jim Jones followers.

So by definition all religious organizations are cults.

#9    mfrmboy

mfrmboy

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

• Beam Moo Up!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

Never thought of my Grandfather and friends as mambers of a cult .....The Masons.

#10    monk 56

monk 56

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

Hi Simbi,

I'm a cantankerous disabled old *******, please see the humour, i'm getting near the point that i'm going on a journey, but i can still be active in debate sometimes, ha ha!

U.S History, you have had 4 Presidents assassinated, two who assassinated had associations with Oneida Community, being Charles Guiteau, and Leon Czolgosz, why wasn't that observed in Detective work, why should i be Sam Spade, obviously i'm a Cantankerous old *******!   I will not be available for much longer!

Note this under "Legacy" on link below, you know i won't end it there, at least one will show connection to Sirius or  Alnilam...oops, I'm cantankerous old ******** ha ha!

http://en.wikipedia....neida_Community

Edited by monk 56, 06 November 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#11    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

To me a cult would be an organization where its all about the leader, you handing over all your money and your mind to do whatever this figure wants illegal or not.  Don't question anything this person says, you believe what they want you to believe and its usually believe in them.

#12    Order66

Order66

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

• The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger ...

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

I don't think so, because they are not insular or secretive. Some of their tenets might be strange, but they are open and mainstream. If you ask a Mormon about their beliefs they will probably tell you everything there is to know.

Edited by Vein Capital, 06 November 2012 - 04:39 PM.

Posted Image

#13    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,721 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

View Postmfrmboy, on 06 November 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

Thanks for your replies ! I was thinking along the lines of the Moonies or the Jim Jones followers.

So by definition all religious organizations are cults.

The FLDS is a cult.  The children are brought up on communes.  They are taught that their duty is to have as many children as possible which will raise them higher in heaven.  They will 'marry' any man 'The Prophet' tells them to, even if it means that they change husbands several times because hteir husband has fallen out of favour with the prophet.  The communes are VERY isolated and in the past the parameters were patrolled by young boys with guns.  It is quite a scary thing to think in this day and age that things like this are still happening. :no:

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#14    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

View Postmfrmboy, on 06 November 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

Never thought of my Grandfather and friends as mambers of a cult .....The Masons.
i'm not sure why you're referring to the masons as a cult. it's a lodge; a fraternity; an old boy's club.
they have an open bible at their meetings and make some references to 'the master architect' but it is by no means a religion, never mind a cult

#15    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,259 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

By definition, cult is a meaningless word, or a word with a lot of meanings. The Chicago Manual of Style (often used by the media, universities, and other professional writers) suggest that the word "cult" should not be used unless it's predefined. And even then they warn that the word may be unnecessary to illustrate the point.

For example, The Branch Davidians were rarely just called a "cult" they were most frequently refered to as a "Dangerous Doomsday Cult". Implying that they were stock piliing weapons etc... no one called them just a "cult" because that would have had little to no meaning.

It's a dumb word to be honest that's really never had any specific meaning. In fact, the most recent article I read regarding a bizarre little christian church in my area didn't refer to them as cultists, but instead called them an "unaffiliated christian organization" and then went on to describe their strange practices  LOL. There's actaully a lot more information in that neutral title than there would be if they'd called them a "cult"

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users