Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Plan to chop down forests in England

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,936 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:56 PM

www.telegraph.co.uk said:

Forests will be chopped down across England to make way for traditional heathland under Government plans to boost rare wildlife.

The new policy to convert forests to 'open habitat' will increase the area of heathland across England by 1,000 hectares (2,470 acres) every year for at least the next five years.

This will mean chopping down thousands of hectares of mostly commercial conifers to allow rare animals like sand lizards, adder, woodlark and curlew to return.

It is estimated that 80 per cent of lowland heathland has been lost in the past 200 years to plantation forestry, agriculture and housing development.

The Department for the Environment and Forestry Commission policy for 'Restoration of Open Habitats from Woods and Forests' is designed to return much of the land taken by commercial forestry to wildlife.

Huw Irranca-Davies, Minister for the Natural and Marine Environment, said 'woodland removal' will be balanced by planting trees elsewhere and communities will be consulted.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

a dark, sarcastic, depressing blanket of nihilism

• 25,381 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:37 PM

hmmmm, selective use of headline there, perhaps, to make it sound as if this is yet more environmental vandalism, when it fact it seems to be just the opposite and is a step towards taking things back to how they were.
Incidentally, I never knew there was a Minister for the Natural and Marine Environment, let alone that he was called Huw Irranca-Davies. Top name.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#3    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,931 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

Nothing like playing favorites with what animals will have a place to live.

#4    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 25,381 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:48 PM

Well, I think the thinking is that this will favour the native wildlife, rather than, say, grey squirrels and similar imports.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

#5    Antimony

Antimony

Her Most Delicious Purpleness

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

• It's a Pony!

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:05 PM

Heathland is, as such, an artificial environment. Arrested succession. Men, or rather sheep created it. Although I am completely in favour of protecting & preserving native species, in view of climate change, is it really the best thing to do to chop down more trees than we have to?

Posted Image
Claudine went to the Ladies to power her nose.

#6    Bud Rasputin

Bud Rasputin

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 219 posts

• They might take me more seriously if my avatar wasn't a teddy bear with its head stuck in a computer, but what the hey? :)

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:01 AM

In other words, they're harvesting a crop of commercially grown pines (conifers) to make lumber, etc.  And to make it newsworthy, the story has to be made to sound like England is stripping itself of its forests instead of doing something economically positive like increasing the supply of lumber to make building homes more affordable.  Not to mention opening the possibility of creating jobs.

And yet we lament the decline of newspaper sales!

--Bud
"Who are you gonna believe?  Me or your own eyes?"--Chico Marx
"You can observe a lot just by watching"--Yogi Berra
"Nobody gets fooled unless they wanna be, kid."--some guy

#7    Belial

Belial

Devilish chappy.

• 4,417 posts

• dogs bark cats meow i fart go figure?

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:48 AM

Put all of the countries 'imports' into woodland areas and let them run free, they run free everywhere else in the UK ;)

Where it states "For official use only" - gently rub a white wax candle over the area indicated.

Kick a habit - i never did like Tolkien...

#8    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 25,381 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:57 AM

View PostAntimony, on 02 April 2010 - 11:05 PM, said:

Heathland is, as such, an artificial environment. Arrested succession. Men, or rather sheep created it. Although I am completely in favour of protecting & preserving native species, in view of climate change, is it really the best thing to do to chop down more trees than we have to?
these plantations (particularly conifers) don't really do very much to enhance the environment, they're so controlled that any other vegetation is either removed or not able to grow in the first place. And they don't really enhance the soil, taking all the nutrients out and not putting much back in. I expect this would probably be beneficial on the whole, certainly in terms of habitats for wildlife.

H. P. Lovecraft.

#9    Belial

Belial

Devilish chappy.

• 4,417 posts

• dogs bark cats meow i fart go figure?

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:01 AM

This is of interest My link

Edited by Belial, 03 April 2010 - 09:01 AM.

Where it states "For official use only" - gently rub a white wax candle over the area indicated.

Kick a habit - i never did like Tolkien...

#10    Bud Rasputin

Bud Rasputin

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 219 posts

• They might take me more seriously if my avatar wasn't a teddy bear with its head stuck in a computer, but what the hey? :)

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:07 AM

[And they don't really enhance the soil, taking all the nutrients out and not putting much back in. I expect this would probably be beneficial on the whole, certainly in terms of habitats for wildlife.

My uncle worked in forestry for a number of years and told me that the downside of conifers is that they adversely affect the soil.  IIRC it has something to do with the turpentine content of the pine trees, the needles, the roots, etc. and its effect on the PH (?) of the soil.

Edited by Bud Rasputin, 03 April 2010 - 09:07 AM.

--Bud
"Who are you gonna believe?  Me or your own eyes?"--Chico Marx
"You can observe a lot just by watching"--Yogi Berra
"Nobody gets fooled unless they wanna be, kid."--some guy

#11    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,818 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:24 AM

View PostBud Rasputin, on 03 April 2010 - 09:07 AM, said:

My uncle worked in forestry for a number of years and told me that the downside of conifers is that they adversely affect the soil.  IIRC it has something to do with the turpentine content of the pine trees, the needles, the roots, etc. and its effect on the PH (?) of the soil.

Plantations are sterile environments and polluting of the surrounding environment. Any other habitat is superior. They also have almost no financial value since superior Russian and Scandinavian timber is relatively cheap.
I suspect they would be aiming for the typical heath parkland with scattered woods, which represents a hugely valuable habitat mix.

A very good move all-round.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#12    Antimony

Antimony

Her Most Delicious Purpleness

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

• It's a Pony!

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:42 AM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 03 April 2010 - 10:24 AM, said:

Plantations are sterile environments and polluting of the surrounding environment. Any other habitat is superior. They also have almost no financial value since superior Russian and Scandinavian timber is relatively cheap.
I suspect they would be aiming for the typical heath parkland with scattered woods, which represents a hugely valuable habitat mix.

A very good move all-round.

Br Cornelius

You're absolutely right of course. Serves me right for drive by posting! I've got Stone Pines in my garden. Needless to say nothing bloody well grows anywhere near them.

Posted Image
Claudine went to the Ladies to power her nose.

#13    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,838 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:04 AM

am still looking forward to the day when the decision is taken to re-plant the forest that went from the south coast all the way to the Scottish border.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users