Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mother takes aim at Texas teacher

Simbi Laveau

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/mother-irate-bathroom-pay-system-made-son-pee-pants-article-1.1211964

A Texas elementary school teacher has a reward program called "Boyd bucks".

A trip to the bathroom costs 2 Boyd bucks.

When one child couldn't afford it,he was forced to wet his pants in front of the entire class . This prompted the child's mother to take action .

The school said no disciplinary action will be taken against the teacher .The child's mom,wants her suspended .

see, it's a good idea - needing only the additonal idea of "going into debt" for such emergencies to be a great idea.

What the hell are Boyd bucks ?

I had a teacher that did this ..if you did a good thing .homework ,paper,you got stars.

She had a book where she kept our names,and put star stickers next to your name when you got one .

At the end of each month,she had a,day where you got star rewards .

For two stars,you got a piece of penny candy .

She put out boxes of it ,and you could come up,pick what you wanted,and cash in your stars.

I think of it now,and it was lovely .

Toosie rolls and Mary's Jane's charlston chews.

Of course now,some mom would complain it was making us all obese ,and fuhrer bloomberg would ask cor the teachers head .

Edited by Simbi Laveau

Holding your urine can cause you to get a badder infection, I don't blame the parent for being outraged. I would be. Not to mention the bulling from classmates. I think teacher shows a lack of compassion and understanding needed to teach children.

• Like 5

Holding your urine can cause you to get a badder infection, I don't blame the parent for being outraged. I would be. Not to mention the bulling from classmates. I think teacher shows a lack of compassion and understanding needed to teach children.

This is why I don't have kids. Seriously . I would go to jail for beating a moron into the hospital ,for being a jerk to my kid.

• Like 2

Frankly, had a teacher done this to one of my kids I'd have simply retained an attorney and taken the issue to court.

Yep, I would sue her for so much she would wet her pants.

• Like 7

Yep crazy people everywhere, that's horrible, especially when the average person is meant to drink 2L of water a day (excluding extra for physical activity).

Shame the poor kid felt they were powerless, I would have never let this happen, it's sad things like this still do happen.

• Like 3

That is digusting doing that to children. Not everyone's bodies run the same, so some need to go to the toilet more than others. Imagine if a kid in her class has a bowel problem or something like that?! What happens then?!

My cousin has crohn's disease and he's only 13 and his teacher said no to him when he asked to go to the toilet. (obviously he was too embarrassed to say why he needed to go, especially because of his class mates, so he ran to the toilet without listening to her (is it good that he actually asked in the first place?!) The teacher gave him in trouble for it, in front of the class when he got back. My auntie went crazy at her. Now he gets to just go without asking. lol

What the hell are Boyd bucks ?

I had a teacher that did this ..if you did a good thing .homework ,paper,you got stars.

She had a book where she kept our names,and put star stickers next to your name when you got one .

At the end of each month,she had a,day where you got star rewards .

For two stars,you got a piece of penny candy .

She put out boxes of it ,and you could come up,pick what you wanted,and cash in your stars.

I think of it now,and it was lovely .

Toosie rolls and Mary's Jane's charlston chews.

Of course now,some mom would complain it was making us all obese ,and fuhrer bloomberg would ask cor the teachers head .

I had a Teacher who did exactly that system, with the stars. But we didn't get candy/sweets we got the last hour of a Friday afternoon to do an activity of our choice. Be it play outside with a football or play with craft things in class while others did work. lol

To be honest it worked really well.

That teacher was actually the headmaster as well and one of the best teachers I ever had at a school. My grandparents would take me on holiday during school term because they preferred it when it was quieter abroad etc and he would always say yes because he believed it was just as educational to see the world as it was to learn in school.

He was also very tall and had a BFG look about him.. lol

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 1

This poor kid could be scarred for life by wetting his pants in front of his friends and peers. This is no joke and GRRRRRR!!!! I would have wanted to BEAT THE SNOT out of this idiot teacher! Some people do not have the temperament to work with children and some - like this person - are just cruel.

• Like 3

The article said they are doing away with the bucks system because the mother asked them too.

As far as some people wanting to become violent with the teacher, whether serious or not, such comments seem to be based on a general lack of communication between parents and teachers. It is almost guaranteed that had more parents in that class been more involved with what goes on in class and communicating with the teacher on a regular basis that this would have never happened.

Teachers have a most difficult task if parents are not involved in what goes on in the classroom and that such programs like "Boyd Bucks" are created to compensate is little surprise. Teachers have to think of ingenious ways to control a class because simply asking in this day and age does not work if parents won't be there to back up the teacher later on. Comments regarding teachers not having the temperament to work with children might be premature.

Edited by I believe you
  • Like 2

I think the rewards for doing good work is fine, but to not let a kid to use the bathroom is not good judgment on the part of the teacher. Of course violence would be not be right and is not the way adults resolve differences. Suing would just take money from the school and is overboard and would not help the situation,

• Like 2

I think the rewards for doing good work is fine, but to not let a kid to use the bathroom is not good judgment on the part of the teacher. Of course violence would be not be right and is not the way adults resolve differences. Suing would just take money from the school and is overboard and would not help the situation,

I agree, but adults also don't subject children under their control to humiliation that can damage them for years. I don't put my hands on other people because I have a problem with restraint in such situations. But sometimes shaking an individual until their teeth rattle is the best way to make them understand that there are other people in the world who all have feelings and needs. Some folks who get a teaching certificate these days shouldn't be allowed anywhere near kids. Not most, to be sure. But even a few can do a lot of damage. THIS ONE should be forcibly retired IMO.

I agree, but adults also don't subject children under their control to humiliation that can damage them for years. I don't put my hands on other people because I have a problem with restraint in such situations. But sometimes shaking an individual until their teeth rattle is the best way to make them understand that there are other people in the world who all have feelings and needs. Some folks who get a teaching certificate these days shouldn't be allowed anywhere near kids. Not most, to be sure. But even a few can do a lot of damage. THIS ONE should be forcibly retired IMO.

I agree. There is no place in a classroom for a person this ignorant. The health issue in itself is enough to get rid of her. I wouldn't keep my kud in her class if I was one of the other parents.

You get what you pay for. If we don't pay teachers at a professional level then you're not going to get the best people. If this is something that will damage your kid for years then you're not dealing with it the way you should. Humiliating things are going to happen in life and kids have to learn how to deal with it. If you go off the nut over it then that is how they learn to deal with it.

• Like 2

You guys are being over sensitive.

You make it seem like the teacher was actively being cruel. She probably assumed the child was faking it like most do. It's not an unreasonable thing to think. She was not like "mwuaha humiliate yourself because you do not have enough fake money".

• Like 2

You guys are being over sensitive.

You make it seem like the teacher was actively being cruel. She probably assumed the child was faking it like most do. It's not an unreasonable thing to think. She was not like "mwuaha humiliate yourself because you do not have enough fake money".

If you were a parent who was educated about the dangers of not allowing a child to go to the washroom, you would understand why we are reacting the way we are.

• Like 1

If you were a parent who was educated about the dangers of not allowing a child to go to the washroom, you would understand why we are reacting the way we are.

If you we're a teacher educated about the behavior of students you would understand why the teacher is not at fault.

• Like 1

If you we're a teacher educated about the behavior of students you would understand why the teacher is not at fault.

I have been friends with a teacher for years. You don't take a chance that a kid might be wanting to get out of class just to make a point. silly, silly teacher

• Like 2

I have been friends with a teacher for years. You don't take a chance that a kid might be wanting to get out of class just to make a point. silly, silly teacher

Really? I've seen teachers do it all the time. This teacher was just on the wrong side of the deal. Kids can't just leave when they please. If a teacher did not say no enough kids would be going to the bathroom more then they learn.

• Like 1

If a teacher did this in NY,they would be suspend at the very least,if not fired.

It's a form of abuse to not let a child go to the bathroom .

Really? I've seen teachers do it all the time. This teacher was just on the wrong side of the deal. Kids can't just leave when they please. If a teacher did not say no enough kids would be going to the bathroom more then they learn.

My best friend is a nyc teacher with the board of ed here . It's not allowed ..in civilized cities anyway .

My best friend is a nyc teacher with the board of ed here . It's not allowed ..in civilized cities anyway .

Your not allowed to say "No" when a kid ask to go to the bathroom?

I find this incredibly hard to belief.

Your not allowed to say "No" when a kid ask to go to the bathroom?

I find this incredibly hard to belief.

For students in classes that only last 45 minutes,yes,the teachers can say no,as those students are older ,but little kids,,like this one was,where its one class all day long ,they are supposed to let them go when they ask .

• Like 1

The teacher was at fault for not letting the child go to the restroom, for she had the authority.

However, like Kazoo mentioned, it's not as if the teacher was going out of her own way for the sake of cruelty. Kids, even back in my day (feels weird saying that, I'm only 22, going on 23) would lie claiming they needed the toilet, and then waste most of the lesson either in the toilets or wandering about the premises. I did it myself, once or twice. So, we see both sides of the story.

I think you're both more or less on the same page, Simbi/Kazoo.