Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Court-appointed Christianity at it's finest..

GoPlayonAhighway

So I broke the law once and got popped for it. After three days in county jail, I went in front of the judge. I was offered a plea, in which I avoid more jail time by completing a 90 day stay in Rehab, and some probation. I agreed to this and was released upon the condition I successfully complete the rehab program.

Little did I know, my Medicaid insurance, is not accepted by ANY treatment facility within the state. These programs cost about 50-60 grand on average, when you are self pay, so it looked like i was going back to county until somebody randomly steered me in the direction of a place called "The Haven of Rest" in Akron, Ohio.

I was told this was a residential facility that offered counseling and treatment for addiction. I was approved and went there the next day to be processed in. Little did i know, "Haven of Rest" was no treatment facility, it was a homeless shelter and halfway house. Every inmate in Northeastern Ohio who is released with no home or fixed address gets sent to the "Haven".

I arrived expecting a "hospital" type setting, but this was no hospital. I spent an hour crammed in a room with rows of plastic chairs and a cement floor. the environment was hostile, nobody was friendly, nobody was smiling or laughing. The African Americans sat on one side, and the white guys sat on the other. This was almost EXACTLY like being in county.

Even though it was snowing and raining at the same time, i walked outside and decided to walk to the park next door. This is "Grace Park" in Akron, Ohio. It is notorious for drug activity and violence. I walked into the park and tried to charge my dying cell phone in a broken outlet in a street light. There were groups of guys stationed at every corner of the park. The group closest to me were smoking weed, being loud, and looking at me as an intruder. One of these guys broke from the group, and started walking right towards me. in an aggressive, very loud manor, he yelled "What's up man?" Now, he was not concerned about my well being, he was really saying "You are in the WRONG place!" and "You better not be a cop" I shrugged and said "cant get my phone working." He said nothing and walked back to his group. He had made his point.

i gave up on charging my phone and went back inside. The lights began to flicker and somebody yelled "chow!" We all lined up single file, all 300+ of us, and were led to another building across the street where we waited outside for about 20 minutes. The doors on this building swung open, and everybody filed in and had to check in with a guy on a computer. We had to give our name and SSN in order to spend the night.

We then were herded into a room that had a piano and stage just like a choir room. We waited until a large group of Mennonite men women and children walked onto the stage and began singing Christmas carols that I had never heard before. The women all had on long prairie dresses with matching bonnets, while the men all wore white button up shirts with suspenders. The men also wore beards on their necks and chins. Their mustaches, cheeks and chins were all clean shaven, but they all had thick beards on their necks. They finished singing, and then one of the men gave an awkward sermon where he compared Jesus Christ to "coca-cola". Saying that coke's slogan "the real thing" was blasphemous and Jesus was in fact "the real thing".

We lined up for dinner, and were given a tray with a stale sandwich and a small carton of milk. Everyone ate in silence. I followed the crowd back to the original building, and was told to line up single file again. I was tossed a pair of old pajama bottoms and we were ushered into the shower room. There were about 20 shower stalls, all with no curtain. You never truly appreciate your privacy until you have to shower in the same room as about 150 other guys, with no curtains at all.

After the shower I was given a number and pointed in the direction of my bed. All of the beds were metal bunk beds arranged barracks style with about 70 or so guys in each row. A "lights out" order was given, and everyone went to sleep and most began snoring. I didn't sleep a wink that night.

At 5:45 am, members of the staff came in screaming and beating on the metal bars of the beds for us to wake up. one guy did not stir at all, and so the staff member grabbed the side of his mattress and tipped it over so the guy rolled onto the cold tile floor. It seemed like this was an everyday occurrence.

We lined up for breakfast, and were again herded into that choir room to sit through another religious service. This time given by a staff member who was confident in telling us that we will never be "good people" if we do not accept Jesus Christ as our savior. I went to Catholic School for 9 years, and became very anti-religion. So this was starting to trouble me, but i said nothing.

I was horrified to learn that if we wanted to eat, we had to listen to a religious service. Three times a day. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If you wanted 3 meals, you had to listen to 3 services. This was ridiculous to me, but I just kept my mouth shut and waited out the days.

There was violence as well. Fist fights were common. I remember waking up one night to barbaric screaming, and blood splatter all over the floor. Turned out some guy put a padlock inside of his sock, and used it like a blackjack to beat another man's skull until it fractured. I don't know what caused it, but I heard the guy who got his skull fractured had snitched about something or other.

There were also 2 separate murders within the 90 days I was there. The first one happened when one guy grabbed a tree branch and hit another guy who was sleeping on a park bench. Apparently, he hit this sleeping man so hard, and so many times with a branch, that he killed him. That was the first murder.

The second murder happened on Christmas Eve, and regretfully, I had a front row seat. It happened in Grace Park, of course. I have reservations about telling what I saw for fear of retribution, but I am fairly sure Akron PD closed this case and got the man responsible, so I will share exactly what I remember. If nothing else, to get it off my chest.

I knew the guys involved. We were not friends by any means, but I knew them. Bobby was in his later 30s, and in later stage of alcoholism with a speech impediment. I remember he used to drink mouthwash in the shower. "Big Black" the other guy, lived in the woods of Akron, sold weed, and looked exactly how you would expect a man called "Big Black" to look. He looked just like a black Santa Clause. Round, stout figure, with a long white flowing beard. He looked like Santa, but this was no jolly fat man. This guy is one of the most cold blooded, ruthless street guys i ever met. I had gotten a few small bags of weed from him, and never had a problem with him myself, but i heard stories that he had done prison time for murder in Marion County, Ohio.

So, it's Christmas Eve in Grace Park. I was sitting on a park bench trying to roll a cigarette, when the sound of tense, raised voices caught my attention. Bobby was stammering and stuttering loudly while Big Black yelled "You trying to play me? I don't play! You think this is some little kid **** right here?" Black quieted down and Bobby stammered out "I'm sorry man. I thought it was all there! I wasn't trying to do nothing." Big Black became perfectly still, there was an intense but vacant look in his eyes. "All right man, we good." Black's voice was calm, but the tension was still in his face and body. Bobby ignorantly took a step towards Black and held up his hand for a high five apology. Bobby said "Man I'm sor..." but was cut off quickly as Big Black cocked back and swung full force on Bobby, striking the side of his head so hard that I heard a "pop" as the impact jerked his head to the side. Bobby's knees buckled, and he fell face first into the concrete and was motionless. Black screamed at the limp, defenseless man, warning him in past tense "you see what happens?" and "**** with me again!"

Everyone who was around went completely silent. My inner voice was telling me to run away, but I did not listen. Then Bobby began to convulse. At first it was a few twitches here and there, but it soon became a violent seizure. He would gasp and choke while blood spill out of his mouth and nose. I remember he made a noise that was sickens me to this day. You know the sound you make when your mouth is closed and your lips are sealed, but you force air out your mouth and it makes your laps flap and vibrate making a very distinct noise? Horses can make a similar sound after a wienie or a neigh. Bobby made this "horse" sound with his lips over and over again in between spitting, choking, and coughing on blood and foam.

Black realized what was happening. He cussed under his breath and took off in a brisk, but not panicked jog towards the woods. I do not remember anyone there calling the police, but paramedics arrived, and rushed him into the ambulance. We would come to learn that Bobby died on the way to the hospital. I asked why "Big Black" suckered him like that, and I was told that Bobby only gave Black 3$ for 5$ worth of weed. So Black hit him.

I remember a detective on the scene long after the ambulance had left. He just said in a loud voice "Anybody see anything?" He wasn't even looking at anybody when he asked this. After about 2 seconds of silence, he turned to another police office and said "Whole park full of people and nobody saw anything." He shook his head in disgust. "typical" he said.

A few days later, the police arrested the wrong guy for the murder. The guy they arrested was big, black, but he went by the name "LiL Black" After hours of questioning and establishing an alibi, police realized they had the wrong man. Instead of apologizing, they charged him with some "probation violation" and he ended up going back to jail. I am not entirely positive if they ever caught "Big Black", but I assume they did. They definitely knew that somebody named "black" was responsible.

As my time was winding down, my release grew closer, and my contempt for the religious ceremonies and sermons was festering inside. There was one staff member in particular, who loved to hear himself preach. He was the most arrogant, rude, person on the entire staff. He would talk to people as if they were too stupid to understand his words. He would yell and scream everything he said as well. Everything this man said and did annoyed every fiber of my being.

One morning this staff member was quoting a verse from the old testament about rebels, and rebellion. Then he screamed "If you are a rebel, you are an enemy of the Lord Jesus!" I could no longer listen to him. I raised my hand. He looked right at me and said "no questions right now. I AM talking" He rambled on and after a few minutes I raised my hand again. He looked at me with disgust and said "Yes, what is it?"

I said "You say that a rebel is an enemy of Jesus.?"

"Yes, that is correct." He said confidently.

"Well, is it not true that Jesus rebelled against the Roman Government?"-Me

"No, hold on! That is not the same thing! Jesus did what was right! Jesus was not a rebel!"-Him

"You were saying that disobeying authority is an act of rebellion. Jesus disobeyed"-Me

"Hold on now dude, don't you call Jesus a rebel! If you say Jesus was a rebel one more time, we are going to have a big problem." At this point, people were upset and talking among themselves. His ignorance was beginning to show through. He yelled "Alright, line up,! Time to eat!" I was starting to get to him, and this made me smile inside.

The very next day, first thing in the morning, the idiot was standing in front of everyone preaching, again. This time he was talking about the Crucifixion. I don't know if the story of the crucifixion is true, but it is something I take seriously. I respect anyone who is willing to die for what they believe. So I listened to this man's version of the story and I said nothing. Not until the end of his sermon, when he said "that is why God sent Jesus to die for our sins. So man could be saved. Nobody was saved before Jesus came to earth."

My hand immediately went up. He looked at me, and said "YES?" Only this time he did not act like I was beneath him.

"So, nobody was saved before Jesus?" I said

"Yes, that is what I said." His arrogance was coming back.

"Well, what about all of the people who were around before Jesus? I mean, for centuries, there were entire civilizations and cultures of people, who never knew Jesus. These people worshiped the Sun, Stars, and other Gods. These people never had the chance to accept Jesus, because Jesus wasn't around. So are you saying that all of these people were bad people, and that all of these people went to hell? Even though they never had the chance to accept Jesus?"-Me

He rolled his eyes uncomfortably and let out a rare "uhhhhhhh...well.....Back in those times. People were judged more for their actions and what they did and what they said.."

"So Jesus changed the way people are judged when they die?" I said.

"Look MAN! If you are so curious, walk to the library, get on a computer, and look it up! I don't know much about it!" His true colors were finally showing. This empty-headed, blowhard finally admitted he had no idea what he was talking about. If he was honest with himself, he would have realized right then and there, that he had no business preaching to anyone at all about anything.

I got my certificate of completion and was released from the program 3 days early with no explanation. That was a long, terrible, and dangerous time in my life. I believe that adding or "forcing" religion upon anyone is a crime against humanity in general. Let alone, a government funded organization forcing the hungry and desperate to undergo a religious ceremony in order to eat, is unconstitutional and illegal. What happened to the "separation of church and state?"

Oh well. What do I know?

Hey thanks for reading this...If you actually read the whole thing.

Edited by GoPlayonAhighway
  • Like 9

Wow! That is quite a story. As a practicing Christian, I don't know that I could have dealt with a sermon before every meal any better then you did. And it sounds like the fellow at the end of your story was quite the idiot.

I am truly sorry for what was done to you and to all those other people, in the name of Jesus. It sounds like you have a better handle on what Christianity should be then they did.

I'm glad that you did get your certificate though. :tu:

• Like 4

Man, sounds like a Franz Kafka story. Glad you made it through all that in this good old USA justice system. Hope your situation is good now.

• Like 4

You were fortunate You could have chosen the extra gaol time. I might be harsh but I think your sense of entitlement and your belief that you can act as you will even when dependent on the goodwill of others, gets the better of you. You could just have shut up done the rehab and got on with your life rather than arguing and picking fights . I would have locked you up and given you hard labour (depending on your crime) All you do is complain about the conditions in a part of the world you might never have encountered if you hadn't broken the law in the first place Why should a society provide you or others with a free ride or a comfortable and safe place to live. It cant afford to do that even for honest people. I do agree that you should have had access to a decent rehabilitation programme if that was the intent of your sentencing and if it was not provided then you should not have been offered the option. You do realise that EVERYTHING which happened to you flowed form your own choices don't you? And you never know, if you had listened you might have found one way to break the cycle of addiction. Ps there are uninformed idiots everywhere, its not just a Christian failing.

Sounds like a Dickensian/Victorian work house to me.

• Like 2

Didn't you know? Jesus is the ONLY way through addiction and trouble. Unless you submit 100% you can never be "healed". Good thi g most of the funding for rehabs comes through religious organisations....

• Like 1

Thank you I appreciate that.I think I understand Christianity in a very basic form. For nine years (kindergarten-8th grade) I went to St. Patrick's Elementary school in Kent, Ohio. We went to MANDATORY mass and service several times a week. I was an alter boy for 4 of those years. My mom's side of the family all practice Catholicism (or so they say). My mom's brother even became a "Dominican"(a higher ranking catholic priest). There is just one problem with that...My uncle is GAY! I don't mean "gay" as in he is stupid or ugly, I mean that he is a homo sexual.

I know "whoop-dee-doo!" "good for him..... or whatever" Is what I think when I find out somebody came out as "gay". I couldn't care less. But in this instance I have serious problems about my Uncle's choices/orientation and his job/career. He took all of these "sacred vows" to become a priest. I feel that he is a walking, talking mockery of the catholic church, and it does not bother him whatsoever. His life "companion", is also a Catholic Dominican Priest, and is also a homosexual.

This is not just a "phase" or experimentation going on with my uncle either. My Mom, and all 6 of her sisters noticed homosexual tendencies in him from a very young age. This was not a problem, or anything he was picked on or shamed for. It's just how he was. He was gay. Then he grew up with church, school, society, and his father saying that gay people are evil and will burn in hell. This somehow led him in the direction of the "priesthood", where he met a fellow closeted gay man. The two of them travel together, ride together, eat together, drink together, and they even share a room. (it has 2 beds but It is still weird). As a little kid, I just assumed they were married because they were ALWAYS together!

I want to know why conflicted or confused men seem to turn to the catholic priesthood as a career? Does the "vow of celibacy" they are supposed to take some how act as a loop hole for gay guys? Are they like, "well, I am not allowed to have sex. So I can be gay, and it's not a sin!....? or is it "I can't have sex, so I am allowed to be gay!"

I have some serious issues with the Catholic Church, which has led to problems with my Catholic family. I do not have a problem with Christianity. I might even be considered a "christian" by some. I mean, I believe there are forces and powers at work in this world that go far beyond our human understanding, and I believe in helping people before hurting them, and in coming to the defense of the defenseless when possible. So am I a christian, Wicca, Buddhist? I need a label to slap on my beliefs SOON! or they are not valid!!!! :o:huh::hmm:

• Like 2

Dominican isn't a rank in he Church, it's a closeted (pardon the pun) order of monks.

You were fortunate You could have chosen the extra gaol time. I might be harsh but I think your sense of entitlement and your belief that you can act as you will even when dependent on the goodwill of others, gets the better of you. You could just have shut up done the rehab and got on with your life rather than arguing and picking fights . I would have locked you up and given you hard labour (depending on your crime) All you do is complain about the conditions in a part of the world you might never have encountered if you hadn't broken the law in the first place Why should a society provide you or others with a free ride or a comfortable and safe place to live. It cant afford to do that even for honest people. I do agree that you should have had access to a decent rehabilitation programme if that was the intent of your sentencing and if it was not provided then you should not have been offered the option. You do realise that EVERYTHING which happened to you flowed form your own choices don't you? And you never know, if you had listened you might have found one way to break the cycle of addiction. Ps there are uninformed idiots everywhere, its not just a Christian failing.

you make far too many assumptions. And you seem to resonate from a place of blind, arrogant hostility. Take your arrogance, hostility, and lame trench coat to somebody else's post so you can judge and lecture from that very, VERY high horse of yours.....I said GOOD DAY TO YOU SIR............

• Like 3

Man, sounds like a Franz Kafka story. Glad you made it through all that in this good old USA justice system. Hope your situation is good now.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is or who iis Franz Kafka? Anything to do with a "kafka kabob"? Yes, I am being serious... :yes:

You oviously didn't read the whole OP.

• Like 2

You were fortunate You could have chosen the extra gaol time. I might be harsh but I think your sense of entitlement and your belief that you can act as you will even when dependent on the goodwill of others, gets the better of you. You could just have shut up done the rehab and got on with your life rather than arguing and picking fights . I would have locked you up and given you hard labour (depending on your crime)

You tell me I deserved worse, that I picked fights, that I complain. And you call me "entitled" I have never been "entitled" to anything or about anything in my life. I grew up in second hand clothes, my classmates would make fun of me because my house was so small and it needed exterior work.

I am just going to take a deep breath and remind my self that you are a troll in Australia, because you have said some things that even though wildly inaccurate, are somewhat hurtful. And if you knew the kind of person I am in reality, you would apologize to me. You would also know that I am about as blunt and as honest as they come. If I knew you in person, if you said that ignorant garbage to my face, there is about a 91% chance that i would have popped you in your mouth.

so look down on that...after you apply ice of course

• Like 4

you make far too many assumptions. And you seem to resonate from a place of blind, arrogant hostility. Take your arrogance, hostility, and lame trench coat to somebody else's post so you can judge and lecture from that very, VERY high horse of yours.....I said GOOD DAY TO YOU SIR............

Kudos to you :tu: ... you are a survivor ... dont worry to much about Walker ... he does obnoxious judgemental stuff like this all over the place here ... but you describe him well ... well, you described him well, considering the crap he wrote about you here ... I note you even chose not to reveal what your crime actually was ... but that won't him ...

" I would have locked you up and given you hard labour "

Most often I ignore him ... but this was really too much !

I think he would be a great choice for the first manned mission to Mars :)

• Like 3

Forgive my ignorance, but what is or who iis Franz Kafka? Anything to do with a "kafka kabob"? Yes, I am being serious... :yes:

Please find and read, "The Trial" by Franz Kafka and "Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor (sp?) Dostoevsky.

• Like 1

You oviously didn't read the whole OP.

he doesnt need to ... he has superpowers of being judgemental .

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 4

You tell me I deserved worse, that I picked fights, that I complain. And you call me "entitled" I have never been "entitled" to anything or about anything in my life. I grew up in second hand clothes, my classmates would make fun of me because my house was so small and it needed exterior work.

I am just going to take a deep breath and remind my self that you are a troll in Australia, because you have said some things that even though wildly inaccurate, are somewhat hurtful. And if you knew the kind of person I am in reality, you would apologize to me. You would also know that I am about as blunt and as honest as they come. If I knew you in person, if you said that ignorant garbage to my face, there is about a 91% chance that i would have popped you in your mouth.

so look down on that...after you apply ice of course

Oh ... you also mentioned him being up on his high horse ... you got it

phantom.jpg

here is his 'altar' ego

2aa71b3ff26c2d195f5534eeef848e6b.jpg

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 3

he doesnt need to ... me has superpowers of being judgemental .

Whoah. Remind me to never start a thread about my own personal wrongdoing...

Just wait a damn second, didn't someone say, "Judge not less yee be judged?"

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2

I guess I should explain

By day - amongst us mere mortals - Mr Walker - The Ghost who walks, the man who cannot die.

;

photo-26269.jpg?_r=0

In his altar ego - The Phantom .... he gets the baddies and punishes them !

the-panthom-us.jpg

• Like 3

Whoah. Remind me to never start a thread about my own personal wrongdoing...

Not without a book down your pants !

Just wait a damn second, didn't someone say, "Judge not less yee be judged?"

Some Christian ?

But now he denies being a Christian ... well, he did the other day , we will just have to wait and see I suppose ... :whistle:

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 4

Some Christian ?

But now he denies being a Christian ... well, he did the other day , we will just have to wait and see I suppose ... :whistle:

If some Christian, or anyone else said the words, "Judge not less yee be judged?" , the words make sense. It's a personal judgement, not the law of the land. With the people you meet, some you can accept readily. Or some you can become accustomed over time. :)

Some people, it might take a long time to remain on friendly terms with. Some people, you finally have to say, "enough is enough".

• Like 1

Mr Walker does make one clearly obvious point, however. Based on the claim of the OP:

So I broke the law once and got popped for it....

There are many things I don't agree with Mr Walker's statement/s. But one thing is true:

You do realise that EVERYTHING which happened to you flowed form your own choices don't you?

Whatever the crime was that GoPlayonAhighway committed the result is entirely a consequence of his own actions. I'm not going to sit on a high horse and judge him for those actions, I don't even know what those actions were or the context surrounding them. Nevertheless, had the law not been broken there would be no reason to go to rehab in the first place (if rehab is the place one needs to go - in Australia if you are court-ordered to attend a rehab facility there are several that are (relatively) free if you are on government handouts - eg, Odyssey House will take 80% of your welfare payment in exchange you get a bed, regular meals, and access to trained psychologists and support networks, all without any religious affiliation whatsoever).

Sounds like this religious group isn't really in the business of helping addicts rather than it is to spread the word. It is, however, a private organisation, it is not funded by the government at all (based on what I read of the matter), so I guess they have the right to manage their programs however they want, it's the government's fault if they don't investigate what they are about before approving them as an acceptable rehab facility.

Whatever has happened, I hope the OP is back on his feet and moving forward with his life :tu:

~ Regards, PA

• Like 2

Mr Walker does make one clearly obvious point, however. Based on the claim of the OP:

There are many things I don't agree with Mr Walker's statement/s. But one thing is true:

Whatever the crime was that GoPlayonAhighway committed the result is entirely a consequence of his own actions.

Okay. Since you stretched the argument discussion thusfar, "thieves should have their hands cut off".

Edit: slight course adjustment.

Edited by Likely Guy

Okay. Since you stretched the argument thusfar, theives should have their hands cut off.

When did I say that? Sure, if that is the punishment for the crime and the person steals knowing the punishment, then that is still a consequence of their actions. It may not be fair, but it is still a consequence of a person's action.

Note that I refrained from any and all judgement about the nature of the crime. Unlike Mr Walker I made no mention of locking the OP up or giving him hard time/physical labour. I simply noted that the person committed a crime, and was punished as the law required. Observably and objectively, this is a fact. At no point did I say the punishment was fair or not (and at the end of the day, attending a 90-day rehab facility is not a big punishment), so I see no reason why you would escalate my argument to "thieves should have their hands cut off".

• Like 2

When did I say that? Sure, if that is the punishment for the crime and the person steals knowing the punishment, then that is still a consequence of their actions. It may not be fair, but it is still a consequence of a person's action.

Exactly! Not fair, Suffer the consequence.

Thus, "thieves should have their hands cut off".

I didn't say that you said that, stop being so damn defensive.

Edited by Likely Guy