Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Fountain of Youth" Claims

Anomalocaris

Does this bacteria hold the key to the 'fountain of youth'? 3.5-million-year-old Siberian specimen boosts longevity and the immune system

Man has long dreamed of a mythical potion known as the 'elixir of life' which grants a drinker eternal youth.

Now Russian scientists claim to be making progress in adapting a 3.5 million year old 'eternal' bacteria named Bacillus F to improve the longevity of humans.

They revealed that they have unlocked the DNA of this cold-immune 'scientific sensation' and are now seeking to understand the genes which have allowed its extraordinary survival in the Siberian permafrost.

arrow3.gifRead more

The only comment I'll make is remember the Star Trek:TOS episode "Miri"

• Like 1

I am a optimist, and this sounds like it has th potential to do miraculous and wonderful things. If given the chance to live longer and healthier too, yes please.

If we intend to make people live longer, where will we put them? It would seem that an exponential population increase would ultimately dictate lifespan whether through finite resources or other events resulting from overpopulation.

In response to the concern which highdesert brings up, I propose a fairly elegant solution. Let's say that we are able to extend lifespan to 500 years. A liberal estimate I admit, but let's for a moment postulate. How interesting it would be to have a requirement for this longevity. That requirement being that those who undergo this procedure are required to leave earth as colonists, build generational ships and send our geneticly engineered brethren to off world colony's. With that life span, and with the proper technological advancements, it could be the beginning of the Terran empire ;)

• Like 2

If we intend to make people live longer, where will we put them? It would seem that an exponential population increase would ultimately dictate lifespan whether through finite resources or other events resulting from overpopulation.

It's very simple. You think this is going to be for everybody? That everybody will get this vaccine for the disease known as life?

Of course not. It'll be limited to the rich and famous. It'll cost a lot, most likely.

It'd be a cool film idea. Big corps being made into immortal beings and ruling for centuries and the hero has to take down the big bad fat cats!

Great!! I will live longer than an average Alien

In response to the concern which highdesert brings up, I propose a fairly elegant solution. Let's say that we are able to extend lifespan to 500 years. A liberal estimate I admit, but let's for a moment postulate. How interesting it would be to have a requirement for this longevity. That requirement being that those who undergo this procedure are required to leave earth as colonists, build generational ships and send our geneticly engineered brethren to off world colony's. With that life span, and with the proper technological advancements, it could be the beginning of the Terran empire ;)

Now I'm thinking KHANNNNN!!!!!!!!!

@Troublehalf

Everything new starts out prohibitively expensive so that only the wealthy can afford it. This keeps the industry alive while it streamlines and economizes production, and prices gradually fall until everyone can afford it.

For instance, the first flat screen displays were upwards of ten thousand dollars. Ten years later the prices were down to a few hundred dollars. Now everyone has one, or three, or five. And the models available today for a couple hundred bucks are vastly superior to the ten thousand dollar models bought by rich people at the beginning.

More claims...

A controversial Russian scientist has injected himself with a 3.5 million year old 'eternal life' bacteria fund in the Siberian permafrost - and says he is now stronger and never gets ill.

Anatoli Brouchkov, head of the Geocryology Department at Moscow State University, says he has not had flu for two years following his injection.

The bacteria,named Bacillus F, has remained alive in permafrost for millions of years.

arrow3.gifRead more

Edited by Anomalocaris

Just read about this on another site.

Seems a little reckless.

Take ancient bacteria, inject yourself, go about your day.

Better him then me.

• Like 1

@Troublehalf

Everything new starts out prohibitively expensive so that only the wealthy can afford it. This keeps the industry alive while it streamlines and economizes production, and prices gradually fall until everyone can afford it.

For instance, the first flat screen displays were upwards of ten thousand dollars. Ten years later the prices were down to a few hundred dollars. Now everyone has one, or three, or five. And the models available today for a couple hundred bucks are vastly superior to the ten thousand dollar models bought by rich people at the beginning.

True, but this is one of those things which I think will constantly be "expensive". Why? Cause it's a lot 'bigger' than TV's. I mean, extending your life, putting off what lots of people fear? You could attach a large price tag to that and people would pay it. Maybe you're right, but I'm sure it'll be "It's expensive cause it cost a lot to make, plus, if everybody could have it, we'll be overpopulated in no time! So the price has to be expensive to limit this"

Bacteria survived in suspended animation. What happened to the former hosts? *shudder*

Edited by Winter Summer
  • Like 1

It's a bad time to make such discovery right now. Imagine having the same politicians setup rule the world for next few centuries. I like Angela Merkel tho.