Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Worst Serial Killer Of All Time

et's daddy

My favs are Count Elizabeth Bathory' and Ed Gein. Though I wouldn't call them favs cuz they are after all serial killers disgust.gif . Still they have fascinated me the most. Hey does Freddy Krueger and Michael Myers count. I always have nightmares about them two. wacko.gif

If your gonna add them you can forget about Jason Voorhees his body counts gotta be in the 240's minus the first movie because that was his mom doing all the killing.

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x

I have my own way of ranking tongue.gif

"My God..."-- James Huberty, shot up a McDonald's.

Best sniper-- Charles Whitman a.k.a. The Sniper in the Tower (you can read some of his story from the book The Anatomy of Motive by John Douglas or here

Best at not getting caught-- the Unabomber

Stupidest motive ever-- Richard Paul White (more info here)

And finally...

"It's still a mystery..."-- Jack the Ripper

The unabomber doesn't count. He's a mass murderer, not a serial killer.

William Cody aka Buffalo Bill he slaughtered thousands. :td:

Would be considered a mass murderer, not a serial killer.

Yeah but Gein would also lived in a fairly small town, people said they didnt even lock there doors at night. I have to assume if he wasent caught when he was and continued his killing that eventually they would have picked him out of the crowd. I believe they thought he was fairly harmless but he gave some of the women the creeps, basically what Im trying to say is he would have eventually ran out of women to kill because it was such a small town...

Son of Sam- David Berkowitz was caught and I dont understand why he wasent given the death sentence I mean the man destroyed so many lives by snuffing them out.

I would say my all time favorite is Jack The Ripper - I dont know I just have a fascination with him and the mystery surrounding who he really was.

I could be wrong, but David Berkowitz could have been considered "mentally deficient" or something similar. In which case, anyone that is considered mentally unstable can not be put to death (by the state).

Berkowitz wasn't given the death pentalty because at the time, NY had no death penalty option. 6 consecutive life sentences was the max he could be sentenced with.

But if there had been, he could still have been sentenced to it metally deficient or not. If the defendant recognizes he did something wrong, that's all it takes. He stated to the officers that he wondered why they hadn't caught him sooner. He was also able to participate in his own defence, and he was able to appreciate that he did something wrong. Yes, he's batcrap crazy, but in most cases, batcrap crazy doesn't keep you out of the sizzle chair. But in his case it didn't matter because NY had no death penalty.

Edited by MissMelsWell

Berkowitz wasn't given the death pentalty because at the time, NY had no death penalty option. 6 consecutive life sentences was the max he could be sentenced with.

But if there had been, he could still have been sentenced to it metally deficient or not. If the defendant recognizes he did something wrong, that's all it takes. He stated to the officers that he wondered why they hadn't caught him sooner. He was also able to participate in his own defence, and he was able to appreciate that he did something wrong. Yes, he's batcrap crazy, but in most cases, batcrap crazy doesn't keep you out of the sizzle chair. But in his case it didn't matter because NY had no death penalty.

Ahh. For some reason, I thought they did during the 70s, and that they got rid of it in the 80s.

I could be wrong, but David Berkowitz could have been considered "mentally deficient" or something similar. In which case, anyone that is considered mentally unstable can not be put to death (by the state).

I wonder what the scientific term would be for David Berkowitz condition would be

Albert Fish...oooo I hate needles

• Like 1

If no one has mentioned her yet, Belle Gunness, a long forgotten serial killer who probably went on for decades. She was about to be charged with murder when she staged her death and disappeared, and was very likely the most prolific serial killer in US history.

belle.gif

belle_gunness.jpg

Belle-Gunness-WC-235416-1-402.jpg

Gunness probably died in Los Angeles almost three decades after nearly being caught in Indiana, and she was suspected of murder there as well. Who knows how many victims she claimed over the decades?

Norwegian born Belle Gunness immigrated to the U.S. in 1881. A series of suspicious fires and deaths (mostly resulting in insurance awards) followed. Belle also began posting notices in lovelorn columns to entice wealthy men to her farm, after which they were never seen again. Authorities eventually found the remains of over 40 victims on her property, but Belle disappeared without a trace.

Serial killer. Born Brynhild Paulsdatter Strseth on November 22, 1859 in Selbu, Norway. The daughter of a stonemason, Belle Gunness immigrated to America in 1881 in search of wealth. What followed were a series of insurance frauds and crimes, escalating in size and danger.

Not long after Gunness married Mads Albert Sorenson in 1884, their store and home mysteriously burned down. The couple claimed the insurance money for both. Soon after, Sorenson died of heart failure on the one day his two life insurance policies overlapped. Though her husband's family demanded an inquiry, no charges were filed. It is believed the couple produced two children whom Gunness poisoned in infancy for the insurance money.

Several more unexplained deaths followed, including the infant daughter of her new husband, Peter Gunness, followed by Peter Gunness himself. Her adopted daughter Jennie's body would also be found on Belle's property. Gunness then began meeting wealthy men through a lovelorn column. Her suitors were her next victims, each of whom brought cash to her farm and then disappeared forever: John Moo, Henry Gurholdt, Olaf Svenherud, Ole B. Budsburg, Olaf Lindbloom, Andrew Hegelein, to name just a few.

In 1908, just when Hegelein's brother became suspicious and Gunness's luck seemed to be running out, her farmhouse burnt to the ground. In the smoldering ruins workmen discovered four skeletons. Three were identified as her foster children. However the fourth, believed to be Gunness, was inexplicably missing its skull. After the fire, her victims were unearthed from their shallow graves around the farm. All told, the remains of more than forty men and children were exhumed.

Ray Lamphere, Gunness's hired hand, was arrested for murder and arson on May 22, 1908. He was found guilty of arson, but cleared of murder. He died in prison, but not before revealing the truth about Belle Gunness and her crimes, including burning her own house down. The body that was recovered was not hers. Gunness had planned the entire thing, and skipped town after withdrawing most of her money from her bank accounts. She was never tracked down and her death has never been confirmed.

http://www.google.co...29,r:1,s:0,i:77

Edited by TheMacGuffin

I remember hering about her from my dad, and also reading about her in true crime books. Of course she really is dead by now. But as you say,since she got away with it, we won't know the true number of people she killed.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Edmund Kemper

Killed his grandparents just to see what it would be like.

Committed to an institution at the age of 15.

After his release, murdered 6 women.

Then this:

"On Good Friday of 1973 (20th April), Kemper battered his sleeping mother to death with a claw hammer. He then decapitated her and used her severed head for oral sex before finally using it as a dart board. He also cut out her vocal cords, then put them in the garbage disposal. The garbage disposal could not break down the tough vocal cord tissue and ejected the tissue back up into the sink. "That seemed appropriate," he said after his arrest,[19] "as much as she'd b****ed and screamed and yelled at me over so many years." He then invited his mother's best friend, 59-year-old Sally Hallett, over to the house. When she entered the house, he strangled her to death, and then Kemper left the scene of his final crimes."

No one tops that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Kemper

• Like 1

Thug Behram (ca 1765–1840) of the Thuggee cult in India, was one of the world's most prolific killers. He may have murdered up to 931 victims by strangulation

• 10 months later...

How about Abul Djabar? He was suspected of 300 murders, proven to have killed 65 young men and adult while raping and strangling them by turban.

This is the Timewarrior speaking. The correct answer to this list is the ones who have not yet been caught. . .