Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

King Richard III skeleton find confirmed

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,062 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

The final resting place of the former English King has been rediscovered after more than 528 years.

Independent said:

A skeleton found under a council car in Leicester has been confirmed “beyond reasonable doubt” as that of King Richard III who died in the battle of Bosworth Field in 1485.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

The War of the Roses was a nasty war.

#3    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,730 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

So will he be given a formal state funeral now? I would think that he is entitled to one...

#4    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwít éoredmæcg

• 4,887 posts

• Hige sceal þe heardra, heorte þe cenre, mod sceal þe mare, þe ure mægen lytlað.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

View PostTaun, on 04 February 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

So will he be given a formal state funeral now? I would think that he is entitled to one...

I'm not so sure about a full formal state burial, but if everybody's happy about these findings, then I would expect at the very least, a cermonial interrment. Perhaps York Minster would be suitable? (Appropriate - if nothing else).

But who am I? I still think Perkin Warbecq really was Richard of Shrewesbury, Duke of York (One of the Princes in the tower!)

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#5    schizoidwoman

schizoidwoman

The roosting goose...

• 12,538 posts

• Much mischief is done by the misuse of mercury...

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

View Postealdwita, on 04 February 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

I'm not so sure about a full formal state burial, but if everybody's happy about these findings, then I would expect at the very least, a cermonial interrment. Perhaps York Minster would be suitable? (Appropriate - if nothing else).

But who am I? I still think Perkin Warbecq really was Richard of Shrewesbury, Duke of York (One of the Princes in the tower!)

I thought York Minster would have been ideal but he's going to be reinterred in Leicester Cathedral, it would seem.

#6    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwít éoredmæcg

• 4,887 posts

• Hige sceal þe heardra, heorte þe cenre, mod sceal þe mare, þe ure mægen lytlað.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

View Postschizoidwoman, on 04 February 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

I thought York Minster would have been ideal but he's going to be reinterred in Leicester Cathedral, it would seem.

Yes, I've just heard that on the news. I assume it's because his original resting place was the Greyfriars Church in Leicester. I can't forsee any great ceremony happening though. Apparently, a Richard III museum is to be opened nearby. Anything for a bit of tourism, I suppose.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#7    Lobotomy

Lobotomy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

This is great news but while we now know that him having a hunchback wasn't merely a propaganda ploy by his opponents, how they think that this will correct his image as the murderer of the two Princes in the Tower is beyond me. It certainly wasn't Henry VII! :P

#8    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,730 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

ealdwita.. you seem to be fairly conversant with that period of English history... What is your take on Richard III's reign? I've heard conflicting things about whether he was an evil person, or just the victim of vicious propaganda...

The main point of those that say he was an evil sort seems to have been the two princes disappearance and supposed murders... And of course Shakespears account is open to being suspect since he wrote his plays with the ruling Lancastrian monarchs in mind (propaganda for the sake of buttering up potential sponors?)... Not to say ol' Will didn't have it right... just room for suspicion...

#9    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,545 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

If it is him, regardless of wht he ws life in life, he gets to be buried in a Chapel of rest.  So many orphans and "degenerates" human-beings all, don't get theat privelege.

Edited by Mistydawn, 04 February 2013 - 02:36 PM.

Posted Image

#10    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

View PostTaun, on 04 February 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

Someone who murders two children - one of them being the king - should never be entitled to a state funeral.

It also seems that the Tudors WERE actually correct when they described him as being a hunchback and that it wasn't merely propaganda from them, including Shakespeare.  Richard's skeleton has a condition called scoliosis which, even though it isn't actually a hunchback, would have made him appear to contemporaries as a hunchback.  Most of them would not have known the difference.  After all, the Hunchback of Notre Dame also had scoliosis rather than being a real hunchback.

Channel 4, 9pm, Tonight -  Richard III: The King in the Car Park.

When a skeleton was reported found under a Leicester council car park in September 2012, the news broke around the world. Could it be the remains, lost for 500 years, of England's most infamous king?

In a world exclusive, Channel 4 has the full inside story of the hunt for Richard III.

The discovery of the body and the battery of scientific tests to establish its identity have been carried out in complete secrecy, with no footage of them seen by anyone but the investigating team.

But this programme - made by the only team allowed to follow the scientists - tells every step, twist and turn of the story.

It unveils a brand new facial reconstruction made from the skull and - in scenes shot just hours before broadcast - reveals the results of the final tests that confirm or deny the body's identity.

Of course, we now know the results of the tests.  The news conference this morning which confirmed that the remains are indeed those of the king will probably be shown on the documentary, but I think it'll still be worth watching.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 04 February 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#11    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,299 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

Buried under a parking lot?  Sounds like something that happened to Jimmy Hoffa.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#12    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

View PostMistydawn, on 04 February 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

So many orphans and "degenerates" human-beings all, don't get theat privelege.

So what?  What do you want me to do about it?

#13    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

View Postealdwita, on 04 February 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

Yes, I've just heard that on the news. I assume it's because his original resting place was the Greyfriars Church in Leicester. I can't forsee any great ceremony happening though. Apparently, a Richard III museum is to be opened nearby. Anything for a bit of tourism, I suppose.

Richard III is to be reinterred at Leicester Cathedral, England's fourth-smallest Anglican cathedral, in 2014.  The cathedral already has a memorial stone to the king.

Posted Image

Preparations are underway for a major Christian reinterment ceremony.  David Monteith, Leicester Cathedral Canon Chancellor, said that because it would have been "unheard of" for the King not to have received a formal burial at the time, he could not be buried again so it would be a service of remembrance.

So, for probably centuries to come, those wanting to see the remains of Richard III will just have to go to Leicester Cathedral.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 04 February 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#14    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,545 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 04 February 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

So what?  What do you want me to do about it?

Pretty sure there is nothing you can do.

Doesn't detract from the fact that this is only news for people with money and social standing and not for those who don't.

Posted Image

#15    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

View PostMistydawn, on 04 February 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

Doesn't detract from the fact that this is only news for people with money and social standing and not for those who don't.

Last time I checked this is news for everybody.

Go and take your silly left-wing whining elsewhere and stop ruining this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users