Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crystal skulls 'are modern fakes'

UM-Bot

user posted image rSubmitted by Waspie Dwarf: Two of the best known crystal skulls - artefacts once thought to be the work of ancient American civilisations - are modern fakes, a scientific study shows. They are the focus of the story in the latest Indiana Jones film.

But experts say examples held at the British Museum in London and the Smithsonian Institution in Washington DC are anything but genuine. Their results show the skulls were made using tools not available to the ancient Aztecs or Mayans.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: BBC News

No, it just shows that the Aztecs or Mayans were much more capable than what we give them credit for.

No, it shows that 19th Century German lapidaries were capable of cutting quartz into objects shaped similarly to human skulls.

Harte

Wasn't that the whole point? that they were cut by tools not available to ancient people? thats quite a fantastic discovery they've made there

I thought one was real, the others were fakes.

if you go to mexico city 2 hours south there are the aztec ruins there are aolt of those suck in walls and in the alters. i was there last year in the moon alter

I agree with Harte. These things are fake. Very very cool,but fake. Although if I had the money I wouldn't hesitate to pay big bucks for a nice one.

Sometimes it's a good idea to read the whole article ;)

Then one or two of you would have seen carborundum was used to make it..which as it states in the article..only came into use in the 20th century..

From the full article it said;

"Professor Freestone said the work did not prove all crystal skulls were fakes, but it did cast doubt on the authenticity of other examples: "None of them have a good archaeological provenance and most appeared suspiciously in the last decades of the 20th Century. So we have to be sceptical," he explained. "

So as these were proved to be fake, it does not mean all are fake. I do not doubt that they have very cryptic beginnings, and being sceptical is a given with things that do not have a clear open and shut case. I myself would like to know more about the Mitchell-Hedge skull as it seems to be made with expert craftmanship. B)

2 things

1 this is old and has already been posted on the forums.

2 several of these skulls were tested by dell coputes and said they appear to have the ability to store information just like a microchip. Which means that it is advanced past our current technology. I watched this on the history channel like two nights ago.

• 4 years later...

Max is real .

And even if they were cut by modern means,quartz crystal that huge,has to be so old,It's full of metaphysical juice.

Also,not all the skulls are quartz.

Some ancient ones are made of other stones .

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

I'm presently watching William Shatner's exploration on this... They refer to the obvious tool marks ,,,, but have they considered that these skulls have gone from museum to museum, expert after expert since they have been discovered back in 1881? .. No one observed how they were tested... what methods these "experts' used to validate their authenticity.. They could have marked the skulls trying to discover how they were made.. taken samples of it.. Some of the reports discussed the wonder of these skulls, of what possible technology that could have created these and to such accuracy... .. that their tools could barely scratch the surface !!!

"Although museums had acquired skulls earlier, it was Eugène Boban, an antiquities dealer who opened his shop in Paris in 1870, who is most associated with 19th-century museum collections of crystal skulls. Most of Boban's collection, including three crystal skulls, was sold to the ethnographer Alphonse Pinart, who donated the collection to the Trocadéro Museum"

The Smithsonian specimen had been worked with a different abrasive, namely the silicon-carbon compound carborundum which is a synthetic substance manufactured using modern industrial techniques.[15] Since the synthesis of carborundum dates only to the 1890s and its wider availability to the 20th century, the researchers concluded "[t]he suggestion is that it was made in the 1950s or later".[16]

Seems to invalidate the theory that they were made in the 1950's " They were probably vandalized by the 'experts' in the 1950's..hence the markings dating to around that time... .

• Like 1

"Professor Freestone said the work did not prove all crystal skulls were fakes, but it did cast doubt on the authenticity of other examples: "None of them have a good archaeological provenance and most appeared suspiciously in the last decades of the 20th Century. So we have to be sceptical," he explained. "

It seems to be the fundamental problem with most of our topics...UFO's / Ghosts etc all...It can all be faked now using technology making real proof that much more difficult.